1972 Starcraft Islander 221 165hp I/O Rebuild

Drammy

Recruit
Following the rebuilds on these forums (some of the work you boys have done is amazing and inspiring) really gave me confidence and the desire to do a rebuild with my 4 sons. Business was doing well so I figured this summer is the time to do it. I wanted to be able to pull the kids on a tube, do some perch and pan fishing while on vacation in Canada and hit lake Erie for some walleye, and I was leaning towards a cuddy cabin because I love taking naps. A Canadian friend who chases salmon on lake Ontario advised me to stick with an aluminum hull with a Mercury engine, he recommended a Starcraft. I searched high and low for a month or so and found a 221 Islander project boat torn down and started to be rebuilt and it was only 12 hours away! We drove up to Wisconsin and my boys and I now own our first boat, or as my mechanic says, "a hull and a box of parts".:D
boat1.jpg

The previous owner started the rebuild and then lost heart and the old girl sat in his garage for several years and he already did most of the hard work. He had the hull totally stripped, bead blasted, new transom wood, repainted and new graphics applied. The trailer was repainted, the wheels were in good shape. The engine and stern drive was torn apart, rebuilt by a mercury mechanic and on an engine stand and in boxes. All of the trim, chrome, windows were in boxes. My sons and I were in for one heck of a ride getting this girl back in the water.

Before we picked her up I spoke with a local Mercury mechanic and made sure I had someone to do the engine work and scheduled her in for the engine install (I'm alot of things but a mechanic isn't one).

Picking through the parts and placing some on the boat we realized that we were missing some key parts, the bottom side of the cuddy cabin front window, some of the interior trim, the screen door needed alot of attention. Searching Craigslist while the mechanic was working on our boat I found another boat, a parts boat, same year, same model 35 miles away for less than scrap price.:)

Surfing the forums and looking at the parts boat made me realize that one of the weakest parts of any boat and the point where people give up on their boat or initiate another rebuild is when the interior wood rots out. I went to a local scrap yard that I do some work and checked on aluminum pricing. They had diamond plate aluminum sheets for $70. He also gave me a killer deal on scrap aluminum so we decided to make the boat a wood free boat. I collected the aluminum, the pop rivets and a sheet metal bender. We are ready to lay down the deck and bulkhead once we get the boat back. I justified the expense by making future rebuilds merely a carpet change out.

After a month of waiting for the mechanic to be ready for her and another month and a half at his shop we got her back a couple of weeks ago. I had him replace any parts that were marginal and the steering / throttle cables. It cost a bit more than I paid for the boat but as he said "you basically have a new boat", so I think it was more than worth the expense.

Two weeks ago we finally got a boat back from the mechanic!!!! 2 weekends with my 4 sons (40+ man/kid hours) of tearing out the old interior, spreading around 2 cans of Gluvit, 500 pop rivets and 20 tubes of marine grade caulk later the deck is finally down. First we laid down a layer of aluminum structure and support, small pieces with various bends for support (I had tons of pics but my dear wife washed the pictures down the drain when she washed my iPhone with my shorts last Monday). We reused the foam from the previous owners deck job and added pool noodles where we could. Under the seat locations, the decking is up to 5 layers thick, solid as a rock, with very little movement when walked on. We are planning to carpet all of the diamond plate, the glare of that stuff is killer.

open.jpg

boat2.jpg

I will be updating this thread as more of the work is completed.

A quick question for you guys, what is the best way to prep the aluminum to get the carpet to stick?

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Never tried gluing carpet to aluminum, so I would just be guessing - but my guess is scuff-sand the aluminum....

Looks like a great project - having had that boat repainted is a great start. I'll be following along with interest.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Drammy!

Looks like a great start on the Islander, :thumb: already painted hull is nice if you like what they did that is. Aluminum diamond plate for decking is often discussed here but seeing it installed is a first for me. I also see you did up some AL bulkheads too. What do you plan on doing for the side panels? In the first pic it looks like the panels were vinyl covered ply.

The motor work and re-power on my Chief was the easiest part of the rebuild.

Drammy

Recruit
Yes, the hope is to have aluminum bulkhead and side panels.

Watermann... your rebuild is one of the reasons I got into this thing, your chieftain looks stunning.

Last edited:

Drammy

Recruit
Enjoying the 70 degree late October day by working on the boat with my sons.

Did some work on the boat this weekend, got the door dialed in and started working on the upper windshield and dash.
I do not have a clue what the previous owner has against this boat but damned did he sick a flock of angry beavers on this thing. Every horizontal surface has holes galore.
beavers.jpg

I bought some seadek sheet material for the swim deck and thought it might be a good covering for the dash. I'm pretty happy on how it turned out.
seadek.jpg

More to come.

Drammy

Recruit
No Title

Well, it was a rough winter. In late January we had a house fire, lost everything but everyone made it out safe. I've been trying to make our family whole with items lost and moving from our farm into town, now that we are settled, it's back to the boat, I have 3 weeks to make it seaworthy for our annual trip to Canada.

Attachments

• photo221172.jpg
    photo221172.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Glad all are safe, sorry about the loss

Best of luck getting it seaworthy in 3wks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Oh wow, Drammy. That's tough to get over.

Three weeks - Get to work, bud!

Mark72233

Ensign
Drammy, I hate to see that. Good luck with everything and if you need anything for that Merc 165 I have some extra parts just PM me. Take care and I will be out here watching and cheering you on.