X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dozerII
    replied
    Re: 1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild

Real nice hull to start with Jason, I'm sure there are lots of plans rolling around in that head of yours!! A nice black ETEC 90 would look great on the transom EH.

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Yah, we'll see how it hashes out eh chem. I'm in no rush, plenty of time before I have to get serious about the decision there.

Hey! It's the Huron Angler! Great to see ya buddy
    Last edited by jasoutside; March 13th, 2014, 04:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huron Angler
    replied

Glad to see you are keeping busy!

Nice looking project there. Looks like a great walleye boat potentially.

You could easily get away with twin outboards with that nice big splashwell

Leave a comment:

• chemicalwire
    replied

Originally posted by jasoutside View Post
    Hey PMC, thanks for chippen in man!

So, yah, if one of the boys fall in, I do believe they'll be cold and wet! No doubt I guide the boys to what they must/should/ought to do, but, I'm also a "natural consequences" kinda father

You know, I'm glad you mentioned the stern bench/deck I built for the previous SN. Interesting thing happened after I spent all that time building out that totally awesome set up - I didn't really use it.

WHAAAAA?????

Yah, so check it out....

For the bench, I really didn't end up using it very much cuz we don't really cruise a whole lot as a family. We either fished or we tubed. For tubing I never had passengers sit at the bench as I need a clear view of my tuber and simple weight distribution up front ya know. So yah, awesome bench that didn't get used actually.

So for the stern casting deck, well, I found I didn't really use that very much either. I'm not a bass fisherman and instead troll for most of what I fish for. The rest of the time we are just still fishing or drifting. Well, yah, I guess I just didn't find that I was standing up on that stern deck very much at all really.

So yup, I spent a whole ton of time, effort, energy and a small chunk of money to build that stern side set up. It was pretty cool! Too bad I didn't use it or need it Hey, looked great on paper, seemed great in theory, not very useful in my world I suppose.

What does that mean for this new SN? Yup, just looking for simple deck space here

See, my skull isn't too horribly thick
    I'm totally preaching to the choir here, 'cause you've built a bunch of these and know all of their strengths, weaknesses, and inconveniences. But, I will say, as someone who's done a pretty limited amount of trolling with a full size splashwell, it really does limit mobility. Because I only use artificial lures, all I need is a cooler in the cockpit, but it's still tight. One other person really maxes out my 18'er for clearing lines and fighting fish. If you can make that thing smaller I think you might be happier with the setup. Mine's staying 'cause I cheaped out and used the OEM fuel tank that goes under there.

Mostly just chiming in to follow your progress, though. Cool rig, and I know it'll be way cooler when you're done!

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Hey PMC, thanks for chippen in man!

So, yah, if one of the boys fall in, I do believe they'll be cold and wet! No doubt I guide the boys to what they must/should/ought to do, but, I'm also a "natural consequences" kinda father

You know, I'm glad you mentioned the stern bench/deck I built for the previous SN. Interesting thing happened after I spent all that time building out that totally awesome set up - I didn't really use it.

WHAAAAA?????

Yah, so check it out....

For the bench, I really didn't end up using it very much cuz we don't really cruise a whole lot as a family. We either fished or we tubed. For tubing I never had passengers sit at the bench as I need a clear view of my tuber and simple weight distribution up front ya know. So yah, awesome bench that didn't get used actually.

So for the stern casting deck, well, I found I didn't really use that very much either. I'm not a bass fisherman and instead troll for most of what I fish for. The rest of the time we are just still fishing or drifting. Well, yah, I guess I just didn't find that I was standing up on that stern deck very much at all really.

So yup, I spent a whole ton of time, effort, energy and a small chunk of money to build that stern side set up. It was pretty cool! Too bad I didn't use it or need it Hey, looked great on paper, seemed great in theory, not very useful in my world I suppose.

What does that mean for this new SN? Yup, just looking for simple deck space here

See, my skull isn't too horribly thick

Leave a comment:

• Pmccraney
    replied

If you are going to use this boat for fishing, I think you are going to want to modify the rear to have a workable casting deck back there...

People (including your two boys) are going to make those two splash-well sides a "makeshift" deck for fishing off the back, which is a recipe for falling in... (and the water tends to be chilly up your way). See below pic where my buddy in the background is fishing (pre restore):

yes, the mod is a little tricky, but I think a convertible bench seat/casting deck (like you had in your other boat) is a PROVEN WINNER of a set up for you...

Just my .02...
    Last edited by Pmccraney; March 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
    Will that plan ^^^ mean you'll need to move fuel & battery forward?
    I'm hoping I can get a fuel tank up front like I had in my previous SN, I should be able to pull that off.

I know I can fit at least one batt under the splashwell, a second might be a little tight but I think I can swing it

Leave a comment:

• jbcurt00
    replied

Will that plan ^^^ mean you'll need to move fuel & battery forward?

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Originally posted by BlueFin16 View Post
    Awe Yeah!

Bingo on the splashwell! Awesome on an 18'+ but on a 16'...it's still cool but just seems a little out-of-place.

I do hate the thought of all the extra work to cut it out, bent it up, build it out, and trim everything to look nice. That would be a lot of extra stuff to do compared to leaving it.

I suppose another option would be to cut hatches for fish box/cooler on one side and a baitwell on the other....

That might not be such a bad idea maybe. Good use of that space and would save me a bunch of build time.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Leave a comment:

• glnbnz
    replied

I am going to tag along also...looks like a fun project.

Leave a comment:

• classiccat
    replied

Awe Yeah!

Bingo on the splashwell! Awesome on an 18'+ but on a 16'...it's still cool but just seems a little out-of-place.

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Originally posted by lakelover View Post
    Curious to see what you'll do with this one...
    Yah me too lake, lots of ideas at the moment anyhow. She has great bones so we'll see what we can do

Originally posted by zool View Post
    Looks like someone pulled the motor off that rattler, and put it on an attractive glasser

But ill tag along anyway hehe
    Yup, that's exactly what happened actually. The GOOD NEWS is I'm pretty sure a glasser will need to be sacrificed to power her up again. Then, all will be right again

Originally posted by budski View Post
    Boat: 1984 Sea Nymph SS175BL Fish & Ski pretty sure this is your boat it says 90 hp I would have thought it to be more.
    Yah, my other Sea Nymph was rated at 90. I'm sure this one being bigger could easily handle more. Really, it'll come down to finding just the right power for just the right price.

I know this boat will be IT, for a very very long time. So I'd really like to score a nice EFI/DFI at a good price. I think I'd be fine spending some cheddar on one. Unfortunately, I think that even a screaming deal would be outside of what I can afford, bummer

Originally posted by Decker83 View Post
    Great looking new addition.. All I want to know is what's the tie rod for on the front of the boat..
    HA! Yah you noticed that eh. That actually rode home on the bow like that, I didn't notice it till I got home. Musta been off of one of the dealers yard tractors or something I think.

So I tried to lift the trailer tongue yesterday, even with all the snow shoveled out and the boat draining in the warm temps I still can't lift it by hand. This thing is heavy!

I can't wait to dig into all that soaked foam sub deck, that will be such a joy

Leave a comment:

• Decker83
    replied

Great looking new addition.. All I want to know is what's the tie rod for on the front of the boat..

Leave a comment:

• budski
    replied

Boat: 1984 Sea Nymph SS175BL Fish & Ski pretty sure this is your boat it says 90 hp I would have thought it to be more.

Leave a comment:

• zool
    replied

Looks like someone pulled the motor off that rattler, and put it on an attractive glasser

But ill tag along anyway hehe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X