87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

briangcc

Commander
Re: 87 bayliner refurb/restoration project... "The Big Dirty"

Can't believe I'm about to say this and those tinny guys are going to love me for it but...got a chainsaw?

I know you'd like to see this boat back on the water but there's going to be a point where you gotta say, is all this hassle trying to give it away for free really worth all that effort? If it is, more power to ya. Seems like you're doing all the legwork for the new owners and that burden should be on them, not you. If it were me, at this stage, I'd be calling each of the potential owners back, rev the chainsaw, and let them know if it ain't gone its getting cut up into landfill.

Either it will motivate them to do something OR you'll work out some aggression on the boat that's caused you nothing but grief. Win / win as I see it.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can't believe I'm about to say this and those tinny guys are going to love me for it but...got a chainsaw?....

....Either it will motivate them to do something OR you'll work out some aggression on the boat that's caused you nothing but grief. Win / win as I see it.

:lol: ya, i thought about it, and I DO have a nice saw....but it would take days and days... itchy days... to chop this thing up, and make a hell of a mess. I did leave some more messages with the two people, basically "Hey, get your poop in order and take it if you want it, cause im gona scrap it after this weekend if its still here. If you're not taking it, it would be nice to get a CALL BACK to let me know."

It will cost me $500 to have it removed by a local scrap guy, and I figure I might be able to pull close to that $$ out of what parts and pieces remain, so I'm spending tonite stripping anything I can pull off with my screw gun and ratchets/sockets.. and maybe a BFG (big friggin hammer) for the working out of aggression aspect. :laugh: One way or another, this thing is gona leave. I now officially own two boats, and there's only room for one in my driveway. I WANT to bring the other one home this weekend, but if need be, I worked out a 'plan F' (you can guess what F stands for...) and I can leave it at the marina until next week.. this story just wont end... :rolleyes:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Takes pics of whatever happens...

bigdirty

Oh ya... she will not be pretty if it leaves here for the scrapers.. :lol: this adventure isn't over yet, I'm sure there will be some more insanity before its all said and done...

bigdirty

Wow, these turn of events are amazing. I'd say that these folks do not really want to buy the boat, they just don't know it. That has been my experience selling things. The person that wants it acts quickly.

to get back to this coment... uh, YA! :lol: I looked at the other boat yesterday, it runs, we agreed on fair price (imo), and today after work i went down there and paid for it!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

new thread. Too bad it won't be as good as this one

bigdirty

new thread. Too bad it won't be as good as this one

heh... well, this one is still going... Put the ad back up online for a 3RD time, "last chance, STILL FREE, she is going to the boneyard on monday" and I added a blurb to the ad that reads;

'This is almost a 30 foot boat, with a 10 foot beam, a proper heavy duty trailer is required. Hell, I'll even GIVE you $100 cash, towards the hauling/transport costs, just so i don't have to see it go to the bone yard! That is of course, ONLY if you are serious enough to actually CALL a boat mover and get them to come pick it up."

Just got a phone call, guy seams like he has his ducks in a row.. Wants to come have a look tomorrow, i gave him the rundown and the issues the boat has, and he says "yup, ok, no prob, i'm sure i'll take it... going to call my friend with a float trailer tomorrow, i'll call you at 5pm to come see it, consider it gone."

:laugh:

Well, I had to restrain my self from going on a rant about that kind of comment.. "ya know what? I've heard that before, nut up or shut up pal! I'll believe it when shes rolling out of my driveway!"

But i didn't.. and with any luck, she will be on her way in a few days... or this thread will just have to continue, at least in part, to entertain you lot.. :lol:

zool

Captain

Actually, its all just us Iboaters, taking turns calling with a new story, I thought my father/son team gag was convincing :D :bolt:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The two best days in a boaters life, the day they buy it, and the day they sell it. In your case the later part is still TBD. Hang in there, someone will snag that baby!!

Then ya get to start all over again, and man are you ever ready!!

bigdirty

..... I thought my father/son team gag was convincing...

Oh... that was a dirty trick! you sonofa... :laugh: either way, I got a call from my boat movers today; They have a guy booked for monday that is taking her!! I'm gona say its a done deal... they have his address to deliver to, and are picking up at 8am Monday morning. He also messaged me to confirm, and he speaks ENGLISH TOO! :lol: :D

bigdirty

Then ya get to start all over again, and man are you ever ready!!

yup.. :lol: i have many plans and much to do, but i'm looking forward to it for the most part. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I HATE selling my boats

bigdirty

I HATE selling my boats

I'm 50/50 on it.... hated to sell my old chris 253, the formula f23 after that I sold to get the big dirty.. and the big dirty, well... in the end I'm giving it away so not too sure if I hate getting rid of it, as I'm getting something better imo :lol: Again, at least she is going to someone (again... I think..) that wants to fix and float her again someday. It's been a rough ride but in the end I think everyone and everything is gona make it out alive :laugh:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

well it is today. Boat movers there yet?

bigdirty

All went to plan, she was picked up this am and delivered to new owner....

Farewell Big Dirty Bayliner... may you see calm seas and good times again someday... a few parting shots :)

Attachments

• farewell bd (1).jpg
    farewell bd (1).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1
  • farewell bd (2).jpg
    farewell bd (2).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1
  • farewell bd (3).jpg
    farewell bd (3).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1
  • farewell bd.jpg
    farewell bd.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member

One of the two happiest days of boat ownership . . . and you had both of them in the same day :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

And so, one saga ends and the other begins...

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

big D you got pics of the new floater?

briangcc

Commander

Glad it worked out. Now...pics of the new project?? :)