1985 lund laker 16ft flooring question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatman.773

Recruit
I inherited a 1985 Lund Laker . !6 ft long 72" beam, 35 horse Johnson tiller engine. Does anyone know what's under the plywood floor? I.E. some kind of joist or runner that the plywood is attached to. Is it possible to run cable or wire from back to front without pulling up the floor? Thanks for any and all information.

The reason is I was thinking of repairing a soft spot in the floor, and also was going going to run 6 gauge cable for use with a 24 volt bow mount trolling motor. thanks for the quick replies in any case.

pckeen

Commander
Re: 1985 lund laker 16ft flooring question.

Hi Boatman,

Welcome to iboats!

Can you post some pics of your boat? That way, iboats users will have a much better idea of what you are dealing with.

I went to take a look at what a 1985 Lund Laker was, and located the catalogue from that year. It didn't list the Lund Laker as a model. I'm guessing that a Lund Laker is a tiller steering aluminim boat, but am not sure.

Underneath the plywood floor are stringers, which are aluminum or wooden or a combination of aluminum and wood 'joists' running all or part of the length of the boat. There is usually floatation foam under the plywood floor. This foam provides flotation in the event that the boat floods or sinks, preventing it from going to the bottom. To lift the plywood floor would require you to remove the carpet/vinyl, take off the fasteners that join the floor to the stringers, and then lift the floor. This isn't necessarily a simple job, and the process of removing the floor will probably irreparably damage any carpet or vinyl you have.

To get a better idea of what is involved, take a look at the restoration threads on this page.

Why are you wanting to run cable or wire from back to front? What do you have in mind? There may be other, less difficult options than lifting the floor.

I'm currently restoring a tin boat. It had cables running from front to back. They were ran through an aluminum conduit that ran for a significant length of the boat. They were unobtrusive and were not noticeable to me....until I started tearing the boat apart for the restoration. The picture below shows how they were installed on the boat. The conduit is circled in red.

I don't know if something like this might work for you - I did a google search for 'aluminum conduit' and came up with a number of possible options. My conduit was fastened to the boat with bolts and clips.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats. Like pckeen mentioned, if you can post some pictures, the people that frequent the forum will jump in and help you out.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

What you should find under that decking should look like this. This is a Lund S14 DLX

Markiemark9

Recruit
Thinking about pulling the carpet up and replacing it with vinyl on the main floor of mine (looks just like what's pictured in the post by bonz_d. Before I tear up the carpet and drill out the rivets, is the wood 2 piece so it can slide under those side boxes? Thanks for sharing any ideas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thinking about pulling the carpet up and replacing it with vinyl on the main floor of mine (looks just like what's pictured in the post by bonz_d. Before I tear up the carpet and drill out the rivets, is the wood 2 piece so it can slide under those side boxes? Thanks for sharing any ideas.

If you start your own thread instead of hijacking an thread from 2013, you have a better shot getting some answers. Bonz is taking a break and has not been here since January.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.