1977 Orrion becoming an ocean animal

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In 2007 I bought a 1977 Orrion 15'10" tri hull, pretty much a generic one for the vintage. It looked like this:

DCP13195.JPG

Over the next 5 years I evolved it into an ocean fishing animal, but my 2012 ocean season was the last for the normal type of windshield setup and fabric canopy. In 2011 I decapitated it, gutted it, new transom and deck, greatly strengthening it in the process. My son and I had a great fishing season in 2012 with it, having my fourth ocean fishing season in a row each with 11 Pacific Halibut (the Alaskan type) and I don't know how many King Salmon. It's not a likely candidate for that type of service but it has proved itself a very seaworthy design when operated with good knowlege of the ocean. It's a really fun boat in the ocean.

The boat is right now getting a little pilot house windshield and canopy. Details on it later but here are some images. I will post the rebuild as the days go.

After the transom, stringer and deck job, it looked like this:

deckedge.jpg

And the bow cover hinges open like this:

DSCN3753.JPG

So with the windshield inadequacies like leaking in drizzly and rainy weather and the top windshield frame very close to breaking my nose in rough pounding swells in the ocean, I decided to start a mini pilot house project that sweeps the windshield forward, moving the roof much farther forward with some other benefits like keeping it much less wet and generally warmer when the wind is blowing out there. It also gives a much more roomy feel inside. Forward sweeping windshields instantly clear themselves of water spray when on the run, because the wind force is assisted by forward sweep for the downward traveling spray droplets instead of the drops traveling downward and forward resisted against by rearward sweep. More simply stated, the it's easier for the wind to push the water down and back than it is to push it up a normally rear sloping windshield. That is why so many ocean boats use forward sweep. The pilot house and bow cover deck will be white to match the hull when I'm done. So right now, it looks like this with a couple of weeks to go on this project:

DSCN4484.JPG

The hard canopy will slide back away from the wind shield frame on captive tracks like a fighter canopy would for visibility and fresh air, and the "hood hatch" will still open forward with the wind shield attached.

The whole mess will be removable in about 10 minutes to have an open boat but I won't do that often if at all. It's smaller than it looks, the wind shield frame is only 19 inches high. The center roof piece is 9mm thick Aquatek mahogany ply, and the outer roof panels are 5mm Hydrotek mahogany ply. The wind shield frame is 12mm Hydrotek, and the fore deck that it's mounted to that hinges up and forward is 18mm Hydrotek. The Aquatek is lighter than Hydrotek. The whole thing will probably be no more than about 80 lbs of weight added by the time it's done. A few more views.

DSCN4478.JPG

Started with the center piece as always and built out from there.

DSCN4486.JPG

Different views to get the correct perspective.

It will be trimmed and configured a little differently than here, with some twists and curves not yet made. More stuff to come going through the deck job from start to finish. That part was pretty standard fare as far as deck jobs go here.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1977 Orrion becoming an ocean animal

View attachment 189669

Think I found a theme for your boat... Just saying... :lol:

I wish. That would be a nice fishing boat!

A couple more views:

DSCN4489.JPG

DSCN4491.JPG

DSCN4488.JPG

Below are a couple of inspirations I got from some other discussion boards:

wheelhouse1.jpg

This is a Skipjack modified by a guy near San Diego. Below is the finished deal. He did a great job.

wheelhouse3.jpg

Fun stuff!

I think if you glass it in and gelcoat it, it will look awesome too. My grandfather had a 1984 Sea Ray that burned to the water line. He rebuilt the boat all the way back up. It looked great. I'll have to dig up that picture.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're taking a 15' boat into the Pacific? Are you serious? Or are you talking in calm water in a bay? On the subject of safety....my bare minimum for open ocean is a 19' deep V hull. I hope you carry the proper safety gear, so your GPS goes out immediately if needed? I watched 2 guys in a similar boat about a mile or two out of Newport, Oregon 2 years ago......swells were about 10-15 feet. I stayed with them till they made it in, several times they just about abandoned ship.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, it's not an issue. These boats are amazing, as I said, if you are knowlegable about the ocean. I've been and ocean rat since 1958, surfing and boating, so I know when not to go out. The 2013 May through November fishing season will be my 6th season ocean fishing in this tri hull. I have no intention of moving to a larger boat. This one is perfect.

Some sessions can be seen at youtube.com/n6hgg1 if you browse through that. Lots of humpback whale encounters. Safety for me means life jacket 100 percent of the time along with a tethered kill switch, an epirb, DSC marine radio and amateur radio on board and a host of other stuff. Yes, the tri hull is a superb ocean handling machine and is really good in a following sea. By the way, going out in 10-15 foot seas is not my idea of safe boating. We don't even do that in the 25 foot Davis that I fish on. We call it maxed out at 8 to 9 feet and forget it if it's more than that. No anxiety that way.

In most cases it's not the size of the boat that's the prime factor in whether it's safe or not out there. The primary factor is the experience level of the operator, his or her knowledge of the ocean and wave behavior, and behavior of the water in the various harbor entrance bars and situations like that. I know people who would be a complete utter hazard in a boat of any size, but I also know people who operate 8 and 9 foot jet skis in 30 foot breaking surf safely. It's the operator and not necessarily the size of the boat that's critical. Check out this video url of jet skis towing surfers into 40 foot waves in Teahaupoo, Tahiti. Virtually all of these surfers have been towed into these waves by a jet ski. Pretty hairball:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTxMSqWBtc

Thanks for the concern too. The video below was taken in 6 to 7 foot seas although it doesn't look like it but you can tell if you carefully watch how much the boat's elevation keeps changing. No big deal here either. I've been in 10 foot swells when they were calling it 7 to 8, but that's about max for me. Here's some humpbacks viewed from the little tri hull about 8 to 9 miles offshore from Humboldt Bay. This was when I still had the turfy carpet in the boat. After rebuilding the deck, transom and stringers, it's a painted deck suitable for salt water washdown to get all the fish blood off the deck.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The canopy is developing more. After I get the top secured, I will fab the sides and then cut it for the sliding canopy setup.
I wonder if it will stand the POUNDING of the tri hull scenario in the evil waters of the Pacific Ocean? I hope so. Can I build it strong enough and light enough? That is the question......

DSCN1128.JPG

DSCN1129.JPG

DSCN1139.JPG

DSCN1136.JPG

I'm tired, going to bed.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was brainstorming just standing there, looking at this thing while the morning high caffiene content special brew coffee was kicking in. That's how it's being built, just making it up as I go along without any drawings except some sketches for ideas.

DSCN4561.JPG

This morning I was working out more details of the rail that the sliding canopy will be on. Also, I worked out the details of how to secure the canopy in any position after opening it. This is smaller than it looks, so it's not going to be a problem to move it fore and aft and lock it in place. Should give me plenty of air ventilation when it's open.

DSCN4553.JPG

Later I'll show how the roof and windshield separate when the canopy is slid aft. Here the pieces are clamped, awaiting a glass layup.

DSCN4562.JPG

So I tacked the pieces in place with some glass strips just to hold them in place so I can remove the clamps.

DSCN4563.JPG

The inside and back side of the windshield frame. Those tacked on vertical strips will come back with the canopy roof. They will be pretty heavily glassed down for rigidity.

DSCN4566.JPG

Fairly straight. I put in a small twist to the outer canopy roof panels.

sketch.jpg

More diddling on paper, working it out in my brain.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSCN4558.JPG

The roof will go back with the canopy. That horizontally mounted strip will stay with the windshield frame. The vertical strip behind the windshield will be part of the canopy roof and will slide away from the windshield frame with the roof.

So I cut a few more pieces at a casual pace. I have the whole week off this next week, so I can get some stuff done on this. I'm beginning the get an idea of what this will look like.

DSCN4570.JPG

It's self supporting now, and I'm beginning the sides. The base track pieces will probably be worked out in the next day or so.

DSCN4577.JPG

Different views for perspective...

DSCN4578.JPG

Different lighting even..

DSCN4574.JPG

DSCN4585.JPG

Can't wait to see it done with paint on it. All white.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still working on it.

DSCN4807.JPG

DSCN4801.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eHrL83HZP1o/UarIsD2yYfI/AAAAAAAABLQ/ajg0lJUxR28/w749-h562-no/DSCN4863.JPG[img]

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0TW36kQruDA/UarIaLmhQjI/AAAAAAAABLI/UQyb1B2LhTw/w749-h562-no/DSCN4854.JPG

DSCN4852.JPG

DSCN4863.JPG

This structure is very light weight using marine hydrotek plywood. It's very stiff for it's thickness. The hard top looks bigger and heavier than it really is. The height of the canopy is the same as the cheesy canvas one was, and it gives me about 8 to 10 inches more room on the fishing deck.

DSCN4860.JPG

Even more fishing room than I had with the cheesy canvas top. It will be warm and cozy out in the ocean, and I'll sew up some clear vinyl drop curtains on my daughter's SailRite sewing machine to snap to the aft rib member of the canopy.

I have the whole build documented but detected little interest. I'll post more when it's splashed in a few weeks.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I'm interested, looks like you are doing a good job, making it how you want it to be. I have pondered the idea of a hardtop for my boat, someday when I get tired of cruising up and down the river open top with the wind in my hair:D, I plan to add a hardtop. so long as it doesn't make it top heavy or bow heavy, and you like it, don't matter what others think. as far as floating in the ocean, sounds like you have enough sense to stay out of bad weather.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes sir, bad weather is, well.. bad. Most all of us salt water types up here have seen enough bad weather to know when to go out and when not to. In the summer here, it's pretty easy to know when it's safe. Winter is a whole different animal with 30 foot waves and all the rest of it. I err on the side of being a coward when it comes to challenging the conditions. Another great rule to remember: The 180 degree turn is a very wonderful thing. It's saved me a number of times. Turn around and go back to fight another day, there's no shame in that.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking like glass quotes this week.

DSCN5146.JPG

DSCN5150.JPG

DSCN5151.JPG

Oops, the forward nav light is hanging by it's wires.

DSCN5148.JPG

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

looks like you will be well protected from the elements. want to point out, in case you hadn't thought of it, the stern light will need elevated now to be seen 360 degrees. looks good. how much weight do you think it added?

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the heads up on that! Good observation!

It added 80 lbs. The canopy portion added 60, the windshield frame and glass added 20. The deck that the windshield frame was glassed to was put on the boat 2 years ago. Looks bigger and heavier than it really is. I can take the whole canopy off effortlessly without help and it's pretty rigid, especially when it's on the boat. I'm really happy with it. The project took me 3 months into fishing season, so like quite a few here, I miscalculated my finish time. I'm hoping for a weekend splash this weekend but if not, definately the weekend after that.

More to post later.

Last edited:

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is the coolest trial hull I've ever seen!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If the wind doesn't blow too much on your section of the ocean that boat will be pretty nice.

... if the wind does blow, that cabin will be like a sail.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The old canvas style canopy did the same thing. We all retreat like scared dogs when the wind blows in the ocean anyway. The Pacific is nasty with the wind blowing :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Somehow I missed this thread,..................

Looks cool,...............Have fun,.....

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to go out of town for a job and couldn't get this in to have the glass installed. Laminated glass, I'm going clear because I usually launch in the dark so I can be at the harbor entrance at daybreak for the exit into the ocean. Glass will be installed Tuesday. I have it all one color now but I took these just before that. Functionality of the sliding canopy and hinged bow deck were checked before paint went on. I'm really getting pumped to get this in the water and catching fish. It's gone about 60 days past my desired launch date.

DSCN4945.JPG

I keep a small fish box in the bow compartment. A hatch was not in the cards, I figured the whole cover might as well be the hatch. Opening it all up is very simple and fast, at sea or on land.

canopy1.jpg

The concept drawing when I was deciding how it should look.

DSCN5054.JPG

The canopy slides back, locking in about 6 different positions, with the front edge rising as it goes back. Max ventilation and when back all the way, I can poke my head out of the opening. A hatch might be added later to the front top of the canopy. For now, this will do. It's very rigid while open and closed.

DSCN5152.JPG

DSCN5156.JPG

DSCN5159.JPG

Last edited: