Best adhesive for marine carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonairII

Commander
I was all ready to use Roberts 6700 for my marine carpet install....and then I happened upon this:
Best deck waterproofing before gluing carpet?? - TinBoats.net

I was considering contact cement, but I think it's going to be a nightmare to use since it immediately bonds(with no way to reposition if carpet if need be).

The carpet is rubber backed, do I doubt much water would make contact with the 6700....but maybe my thinking is flawed. I just don't want to find myself in a rainstorm....and have my carpet start sliding around cause the glue became a gummy mess.

Am I over thinking this?

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best adhesive for marine carpet?

I'm curious as to what people say about this, because I bought the same stuff (from Home Depot) but have not installed my carpet yet.

And I just found this: Roberts 512 fl. oz. 6700 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive and Glue-6700-4 at The Home Depot

Review says " I applied this stuff to my boat to hold the carpet down. The carpet cured for 3 dats at around 75 degrees and then 4 more days at around 50-55 degrees. I tried grabbing an edge that was slightly in the way and the bond was strong enough to pull the fibers out of the carpet. Good right?
Wrong...if you put water on the carpet and wait 5 minutes, the carpet will peel up like it was held down with pudding. This stuff does not repel water and cannot get wet."

Now I'm considering returning the stuff I bought. Where's that receipt...

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about PL polyurethane adhesive? Would that work? Fairly close in price to contact cement per unit volume.

$29.98/gal for contact cement. $33.55/gal for PL polyurethane.

Loctite PL Premium 28 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive-1390594 at The Home Depot

"It is also waterproof, paintable and cures even in cold temperatures. Ideal for sub floor installations. It bonds most common construction materials such as wood, treated wood, hardwood flooring, concrete, stone, marble, slate, masonry, brick, foam insulation of all sorts, carpets, metal, lead, cement-based products, ceramic, fiberglass, drywall and mirrors."

Sounds good to me. Then you/I don't have to worry about repositioning issues.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Check the last few pages of my resto thread. In my opinion, the best stuff is either solvent based contact cement, or a solvent based outdoor carpet glue. Specifically i'm going to use Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. I have everything to do my install, just waiting for warmer weather.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Weld Wood Contact Glue. Get it at any Big Box Lumber Store. About $30/gallon.

BonairII

Commander

Check the last few pages of my resto thread. In my opinion, the best stuff is either solvent based contact cement, or a solvent based outdoor carpet glue. Specifically i'm going to use Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. I have everything to do my install, just waiting for warmer weather.

I'm liking the Weldwood All Weather Outdoor Carpet adhesive recommendation. According to DAP...it can withstand repeated freeze/thaw cycles. And cures quickly, etc etc
http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00030801.pdf

I've made some calls locally and no one carries it at all, let alone in a gallon size :(

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I used 6700 and it has held up great for 2 seasons with kids in and out of the boat all day long. I did not know that it soaked up water and lost strength when wet like that though. I guess I know how I will remove my carpet when I finally switch to vinyl.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

BonairII

Commander

I just ordered a gallon of the DAP stuff. Should be here next Wednesday/Thurs...I hope.

I like the fact that it can be applied at temps ranging from 40-100 degrees.... Will withstand a rainstorm as early as 24 hours after being applied....and is all-season weatherproof.

I hate the fact that I can't find it locally, but it sounds like it's going to work well for me....so I'll deal with having to wait for it to arrive.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When I was in the pool business I used the Roberts product a Lot gluing down "Turf" on pool decks as well as on my bass boat back in the 90's. I Never had any issues or call backs from customers. As long as you follow the directions and allow it to cure properly it IS waterproof and will not allow the carpet to come loose from water abosorption. As with any product it's all about the prep and the application. If you don't do it right the product will NOT perform as advertised. At least that's been my 20 yr experience with it.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The ROBERTS 512 fl. oz. 6700 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive and Glue is an environmentally safe, solvent-free adhesive that can be used indoors or outdoors in place of solvent-based adhesives. It is excellent for basements or the surfaces surrounding swimming pools, jacuzzis and spas.

• Suitable for basements or the surfaces surrounding swimming pools, jacuzzis and spas
  • Solvent-free, environmentally safe, non-flammable formula
  • Cures in 3 - 5 days
  • Excellent water resistance when cured
  • Drying time requires restriction of foot traffic and moving of heavy objects for 24 hours. Do not expose to water until adhesive has completely cured (e.g. 3-5 days). Longer curing time may be required if temperature is below 65F
  • Wet adhesive can be cleaned from tools and flooring with warm, soapy water
  • Solvent free, zero VOC calculated, environmentally safe, non-flammable formula
  • Excellent grab with a strong, lomg lasting bond
  • Additional information is available under the specifications tab
  • MFG Model # : 6700-4
  • MFG Part # : 6700-4

BonairII

Commander

In the test on tinboats, the OP said he let glue cure 3 days...maybe that was the problem. Although, Roberts does list it as "water resistant" not "waterPROOF".

I have a bit more faith in the solvent based being more weatherproof, though. If I went with the Roberts 6700....I would've always worried every time my carpet got super wet (or frozen etc).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, like I said, Pool decks get pretty darn wet and stay that way, and I never had to "Go Back" and "Re-Glue" any of then Green Turf. Not sure why he had issues. We acid washed the concrete and then applied the Glue and laid the turf. Temps were usually in the 90's or 100's though. Never in the 50's 60's or 70's so maybe that was the difference.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Use a Resporator !!

Contact cement is the best IMHO ..

The water based is .. um .. not as good IMHO ..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

In the test on tinboats, the OP said he let glue cure 3 days...maybe that was the problem. Although, Roberts does list it as "water resistant" not "waterPROOF".

I have a bit more faith in the solvent based being more weatherproof, though. If I went with the Roberts 6700....I would've always worried every time my carpet got super wet (or frozen etc).

It doesn't matter how long you let the Roberts cure for, it weakens when it gets wet... then regains it's strength when it dries back out.

As mentioned above, solvent based adhesives will give you better water resistance than latex stuff.

Working with contact cement does take some practice and experience, but the results are well worth it.

BonairII

Commander

If I had any patience, I would've given the contact cement a try....but knowing me, I would rush the install and end up with wrinkles etc in the carpet and would put a hole in it trying to reposition it.

Weather is supposed to warm up later next week to 60s-70ish(not sure for how long though)...hopefully carpet adhesive will arrive by Wednesday.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If I had any patience, I would've given the contact cement a try....but knowing me, I would rush the install and end up with wrinkles etc in the carpet and would put a hole in it trying to reposition it.

Weather is supposed to warm up later next week to 60s-70ish(not sure for how long though)...hopefully carpet adhesive will arrive by Wednesday.

Rushing a project ? You need some patience ..

I dont know why you would have wrinkles if you do your carpet a bit laydown and install slow and small areas.

Lay down the material .. lift up 1/2 and glue/cut it down.. then lift up the other half and glue/install ..then cut that down to match ..

YD.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

FWIIW, when I installed my vinyl flooring I went down to the local auto upholstery shop and bought a gallon of their bulk adhesive. I carefully laid out my flooring then fan folded it back up being careful not to move it out of position. I took a cheapy HF Binks style spray gun and sprayed the glue on a section of the floor and on the first exposed surface of the fan folded flooring. I then carefully lifted the fold up and laid it down on the floor glue. It worked perfectly. I think I started in the middle of the floor and worked forward to the bow then turned around and laid the rest toward the stern. I also think that I had two people (it's been 6 or seven years now) lift the sides of the flooring fold from outside the boat, then I laid it down in the center and worked it out to the gunwales.

I was prepared for a lot of overspray and taped news papers up the gunwales. I did not need to do that as there was no overspray. I did have to toss the gun when I was done. I never could find a solvent that would completely dissolve the glue in the gun. All the common solvents just made the glue kind of ball up. The upholstery shop was no help and I never new the brand name of the glue but I think I only paid about $15.00 for the gallon and it has held up perfectly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

As usual the stinky stuff really is the best. I've used contact glues (cements, DAP Weldwood) with lots of projects and yes there is a strong odor. But it is not like you would be doing this in a closed up small room. And even if you are, buy and use a good quality respirator and you will never smell any of it unless you take the mast off... And if you are outside doing this, you can get away without a mast if you have a fan or fresh air movement... 3M makes very good respirators with changeable cartridges and if you buy a vapor type cartridge(s), you will not smell any odor from any type glue...period! I know, I use them. :joyous:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

BonairII, did you get to doing your install yet? I'm getting close to doing mine, prolly next month though, as it seems it's never going to warm up around here.....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I used the 6700 in my Lund 3 years ago and have had zero problems with it. Applied as per directions and then rolled it out with a wood rolling pin. It's also been very wet from being caught out in rain storms. So 3 years, no complaints and will use it again when I do the Alumacraft!

Status
Not open for further replies.