Damaged Hull -- Pictures

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Hi Peter,

Just to chime in...

Please, don't take any of this the wrong way...BUT...

Only you can make the determination if...
A- this boat is in need of repair or restoration...
B- you want to tackle, either/or...
C- you are ultimately responsible for the safety and integrity of this boat...

We will give you a million and one opinions as to how we think you should proceed...some are spot on, while others may be out in left field somewhere...however, in the end they are mostly opinions, with some facts thrown in once in awhile, along with the experience/knowledge acquired of the opinion givers...

What ever you decide is the correct course of action, that, in the end, is the only thing that will matter.

This boat restoration stuff is not easy or cheap, and not necessarily, always fun...but it is a learning experience and can lead to a very rewarding outcome or it can lead to dismal failure...

You will get out of it what you want to...

Just remember, this endeavor is one a lot of us have chosen for several reasons...

A brand new boat costs thousands...
You are obligated to make monthly payments...
You will usually need whatever money you paid for your used boat+++, just for a down payment...
Then you have to continually feed the habit with food, maintenance and fuel...

While an old decrepit, rotten, almost seaworthy, but not really, boat comes along for a few hundred or few thousand bucks, that just happens to fit into our inexperienced dreams of boat ownership, and we fall head over heals in love with a Fantasy...

We realize the error of our ways and begin to have serious second thoughts...I personally have been there a couple of times throughout my continuing restoration experience...

Then we realize that we are not making monthly payments, you only spend what you can when you can...

We are learning new things, IMHO, always a good thing:)...

We will hopefully end up with a better built and better suited boat than we could have bought...

It will take time, sweat, maybe a little blood, cause frustration, sometimes even elation, and push us to our limits...

But if you decide this is the course you want to take, you only have to look through this forum, to see what others have accomplished and are enjoying from having undertaken this very daunting task...

Heck, some guys have even started a business or are so addicted, they end up doing this for fun...can you imagine that...:eek::rolleyes::facepalm::D

Hey, whatever you decide, I'll tag along for the ride...whether it gets rebuilt/repaired/restored and wet or sliced/diced/chopped and dumped...:redface:

Best regards,
GT1M

PS-on a final note, rot usually starts/happens in the lowermost/rearmost areas and spreads like rust or cancer...unless it is eradicated, it will come back...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Don't worry about the "tube" Looks like a stiffener that also allows water to go to the stern. You'll need to remove it (if you have one) to do the repair. You can replace it or put a wood keel in the center when your done. Back in the old days we used to use a lot of those cardboard tubes from carpet rolls to make that half shape in the glass for stiffening, also used rope to stffen flat places, etc. I always thought that the cardboard would get wet and plug up bilge pumps when it broke apart but oh, well i was just a peon and nobody listened to me.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, okay... I'll gut the SOB! Lol!

your boat looks like it cracked in front of the tube section and theres no real fix from the outside so good wood sometimes has to be pulled just to get to the problem. once inside you can test drill and see whats going on but at that point your in deep so most of us decied that a little deeper wont hurt.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your boat looks like it cracked in front of the tube section and theres no real fix from the outside so good wood sometimes has to be pulled just to get to the problem. once inside you can test drill and see whats going on but at that point your in deep so most of us decied that a little deeper wont hurt.

True, very true. Honestly, I think I'm so in between on everything because I'm scared to mess it up. As I said 100 times already, this is my first boat (other than kayaks) and I really don't know what I'm doing. I need to just bite the bullet and drop the saw into the floor already. There is so manythings I need to do still like removing the motor, making a stand for the motor and making a stand for the boat so I can get it off the trailer (repair the trailer). I put together a couple of 4' pieces of 2x4 and carpeted it now I just have to build a base. TallCanadian had sent me an image of a cradle that someone made on wheels that I'm a fan of, so I think I'm going to start there so I can access the crack from the bottom anyways. Then cut a hole in the floor. Again, i'm very thankful for you guys putting up with my indecisivness on this project, it's purely out of fear of totally destroying this boat. Again, I appricate all the help and when you guys tell me something I really am listening and when I say something back that goes against what you have told me, it's just because I want to know if it makes a difference. In other words I'm not doing it to be difficult, and not taking you serious, I just want to know more about my situation. Again thank you to everybody who has helped me thus far I can't tell you how much I appricate it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Again, i'm very thankful for you guys putting up with my indecisivness on this project....

Just to be clear:

You mention battery placement even once & we're out. Capiche'
bat.gif
?

Ok, not really. The infamous iboat's waffler started a battery placement debate that took up page after page of his resto
duh.gif

On to more important matters... Got a chair picked out yet?
speechless-smiley-008.gif
In a pinch, a 5 gal bucket works short term.

There's a handy guide to a motor stand in Don's how to list:
Building your own outboard motor stand

And another version:
2) 39inch 2x4's notched out for a 2x8 or 2x12
2) 28inch 2x4's for the base
2) 24inch 2x4's
1) 21inch 2x4
1) 24inch 2x8 or 2x12
2) 25inch 2x4s cut with a 45degree angle on each end
I started by assembling the 39inch uprights with the notch to the 28inch base 2x4's using glue and 3inch screws. Upright being 18inches from the end of the base 2x4, making sure the upright is square to the base using a framing square. I used PL 400 constuction glue to glue every thing together, I only used PL because thats what I had laying around the important thing is that some sort of wood glue is used. I then assembled the 2x8 to the uprights with glue and screws. Next the 24inch 2x4's where attached inbetween the base 2x4's at each end using glue and screws. Then the 25inch 2x4's with the 45degree cut, where installed to brace the upright to the base.

Last of all I screwed three inch locking casters to the bottom of the base for easy mobility. This type of stand is very strong, I have built stands long enough to hang two and three large motors like this one. I hope this helps someone.
IMG_3399_Small.JPG

IMG_3405_Small.JPG

maybe its just me but i look at it as ........... i have a engine and all the stuff that was connected to the hull so worst case i need another hull and theres pleanty around..... its broken so the worst you can do is break it some more ......... kinda the glass is half full plus its fun as hell getting to play with power tools and if it all goes to hell then its time to fire up the chain saw.

honestly once you start you will find rot because newer boats have rot then you will be happy as you will be tearing it to bits for a good reason where at the moment you still believe that you are cutting a good boat open...... that felling will pass once you see and smell the good stuff under the deck..lol

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where at the moment you still believe that you are cutting a good boat open......

You know, you're 100% correct! This is why I charged the batteries today!
2012-11-26_15-51-08_669.jpg 2012-11-26_15-51-47_713.jpg 2012-11-26_15-51-57_713.jpg

I FOUND THE CRACK! lol!!!!! - Never thought I would say that statement in my lifetime! haha! Also, I'm sure you can tell I found that the piece of wood that goes across from one stringer to the other has rotted out. Now, I was able to peek in there and see the one stringer which looked to be in good condition. Also, the foam was just a little damp at the bottom maybe a 1/8" high. Which gives me some hope. The spot that has rotted out on the floor is right in front of the fiberglass ramp that's on the hull and right in the middle section of the glass. I'm assuming that the water would run off of the ramp from people being wet and there must have been a flaw with the fiberglass layer on top of the plywood that let the water in or maybe the 500 holes in the deck floor have something to do with it. Well, anyways I called it a night for today because it's getting a little cold out there and my toes are becoming numb. I'm going to tear out a larger section next time I get out there, also a friend of mine is going to lend me his torpedo for the winter to use (now that's a good friend) so I will be able to put long hours in on the weekends.

JB - Thanks for the information on the stand! It's nice and to the point, I'm currently making arrangements on motor removal for possibly next weekend. I have one more day off of work (tomorrow) so I will see if I can get out there again for a couple of hours to start putting a stand together.

Again, thank you everybody who is following, I might need a kick here and there but I come around eventually! As you can tell by the hole in my deck! lol!

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohhhh man! This just got real serious now! We have heat!!!!!!!!! This will make the winter much more enjoyable for those long hours spent in the garage! Yes, that's 150,000 btu for a 20' x 20' garage! :facepalm:

2012-11-27_13-13-44_70.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Make sure to give the to be glassed surface time to get above 60 before you start fiberglassing. Many heat the garage before hand, get prepped, and turn the heat off or down while working with resin & then back on after. Cycling the heater to keep the air & surface temps above 60.....

Kerosene is slightly more expensive then diesel here, but burns cleaner & w/ less fumes. But in a 4000+ SqFt space, it doesn't seem like it's much different. At almost $4 more per tank full, if I was paying the bill, I'd probably deal w/ the diesel...

tallcanadian

Captain

Your doing good. As you go along you will become more relaxed and not so uptight. That's an awesome heater, I hope you dont' melt your boat. lol. That rotted piece of ply going between your stringers must be the bilge area? I'm not surprised that it's rotten. Your doing good, keep it up. Piece by piece.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use 12" flexible Heat Duct and set the heater outside the garage, lower the door to 12" and then use plastic to take it off and seal the bottom of the door. Doing this will ensure only heat is in the garage and no open flame. Although it would take a lot of fumes build up to make a flammable/explosive situation, I always try to err on the safe side, so I don't glass where there's an open flame.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey WOG, ever find that ducting heat thread? I still got nothing :ballchain:

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have to clean out the garage one more time to make a little more room for this heater. I'm running kerosine in it and venting the garage... Well at least that's the plan. Also, I was able to come across a epoxy resin that cures at 40 degrees F, it's manufactured by TAP Plastics. I figured I can keep the garage a minimum of 40 degrees for a couple of hours that this resin needs to fully cure. I'm just going to wait for the temp to heat up before I put the new foam in and glass the deck. If you guys have not check out TAP Plastic's products I would recommend doing so, on top of it the customer service there is AWESOME! I was emailing a guy there by the name of Conrad and he called me today and gave me a straight up lesson on fiberglass! The guy was extremely knowledgeable and even offered for me to call him back throughout the project if I have any questions. It's hard to find personable people like that in customer service. I'm actually going to wright a letter to the company and tell them what a great job he's doing.

Anyways, that hole I cut was not at the bilge that was was where the fiberglass hull (seating area) drains to the carpeted area of the deck. The fiberglass floor in the seating area has a pitch to it and all the water that goes on the hull will drain right onto the carpeted area. Now, mind you this boat has been stored outside for some time and living in Buffalo, NY it has become a victim to the elements. As I have said many times in this thread, the guy I purchased it from has neglected to treat the boat properly for the last few years he has owned it. Not saying that this section has rotted out in the last 3 - 4 years but I'm sure it didn't help. Anyways, I'm going to cut out the entire deck however, I will be doing it in sections. I think that will make it more manageable along with some of the other things that I need to do to it yet. I will be building my stand and removing the motor this weekend coming up along with cleaning my garage again to make room for the heater and the motor for storage. Thanks for following along I will be posting more images this weekend, or earlier if I have the opportunity to do more work on it.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can someone please answer a question for me... What is "peanut butter"? Everyone just keeps referring to it as that rather than actually saying what it is, It's not helping the rookies! lol!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Can someone please answer a question for me... What is "peanut butter"? Everyone just keeps referring to it as that rather than actually saying what it is, It's not helping the rookies! lol!

PB, Peanut Butter= Resin that is thickened using one or more of the following...cabosil, aerosil, micro-ballons, chopped/milled fibers...depending on the application, it can be anywhere from runny to thick as "Peanut Butter" or more...:)

For all the info you could ever want on fiberglassing go here...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...erglass-information-thread-286013.html...plus tons more info in this section...http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...r/how-tos-other-great-information-288451.html

tpenfield

Staff member

I know what you mean . . . boy did my wife look at me funny when I told her to get 10 jars of "Jif" for the boat . . . :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I know what you mean . . . boy did my wife look at me funny when I told her to get 10 jars of "Jif" for the boat . . .

Eeewww, accidental PB & J sandwiches.... Really sticks w/ you though.... :D

5 out of 5 dentists do not recommend brushing w/ acetone after the PB & J...:brushteeth:

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I'm glad I looked at this, I was going to go with Peter Pan for obvious reasons! lol!