Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finnish fishing boat overhaul

7. Simrad NSS 9 evo 2 plotter/fishfinder in combination with AIS/DSC VHF

Side scan sonar and good plotter abilities built in. Looks good and does everything I need it to. Really expensive through hull transducers though, and I need two because of the keel...

NSS2_9inch_FRONT_Map_NSS_evo2_8436_lg.jpg

8. Dometic 975 MSD

Simple and it's possible to attach a vacuum suction fitting on the deck, no need to lug around the container.

37730_975MSDGray-500x500.jpg

9. Indel Cruise 36 INOX fridge

Small, simple and stainless steel.

boat-built-in-drawer-refrigerators-stainless-steel-33234-6231537.jpg

10. RM fuel filter

Racor copy, uses same filter cartridges. Apparently good stuff according to local pros.

RM500MPseparatorhin.jpg

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

11. Huge, sturdy raw water strainer made of bronze.

Quite big, but it was the only one I could find locally where the hosing comes in and leaves horizontally.

View attachment 227580

I'll add more stuff here when I find the photos.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Awesome boat, very 'salty' looking. I'm going to follow along with great interest. Thanks for sharing, great pictures so far.

Mike

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Just dropped off the engine parts to be cleaned and fixed. I'll try and get to clean the crankcase this weekend and repaint the lower parts of the engine. Thanks for all the nice feedback guys! Will be exciting to see what it all ends up like.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Going to try phosphoric acid to remove the rust on the crankcase. I'm just a bit unsure how well the acid needs to be removed before I paint everything. Hoping that a thorough wipe with acetone will do. I'll be painting with hammered silver Hammerite even though it has got some mixed reviews as engine paint. Apparently the paint matches the original almost 1:1, so I'll be able to leave the parts that are ok intact.

Does anyone know more about phosphoric acid and how it has to be cleaned before painting?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Going to try phosphoric acid to remove the rust on the crankcase. I'm just a bit unsure how well the acid needs to be removed before I paint everything. Hoping that a thorough wipe with acetone will do. I'll be painting with hammered silver Hammerite even though it has got some mixed reviews as engine paint. Apparently the paint matches the original almost 1:1, so I'll be able to leave the parts that are ok intact.

Does anyone know more about phosphoric acid and how it has to be cleaned before painting?
I'm no chemist, but acid is water soluble and should rinse right out, what it will do to metal and dilution amounts is yet another good question.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, some people on the net advocate for a acetone wipe to neutralize the acid and then just paint on what's left. Some people say it has to be rinsed off with water and then dried with an air-compressor. Go figure.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Still need to paint some details and a second layer overall. Ended up grinding, acid treating and using some sand paper. I degreased twice and dried with compressed air, then I wiped with acetone. Some really tight spots were impossible to reach, but I hope it's ok and holds for some time.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

It looks great, not sure I would even paint the block, the metal looks very cool, motor looks like brand new IMO.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! She cleaned up real nice!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I'm very happy with how it turned out, now I'll just need another sunny day for layer nr 2 and the touch ups. The silvery stuff is all paint, I'll have to paint the block as well since it's iron. But then I'll get to use spray paints, ought to give a better finish than what I managed to do with the brush.

Something good and something bad, while removing old coolant hoses the cooling water fitting on the oil cooler broke off just like that. Hope I can find a spare, otherwise I'll have to learn how to solder brass?

Thanks for commenting guys. After tomorrows sandblasting the real rebuilding starts, I'm really excited that the fun part finally begins. It took a year to reach this point :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Progress! But bad news as well. The cylinder block was apparently completely corroded from the inside, so I'll have to get a new one. Let's see if the old pistons will do with the new old one?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

It seems impossible to find a replacement housing for the oil cooler. So now it's time to learn how to solder brass. It seems simple enough luckily.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Cleaned up and painted the starter today. Tomorrow I'll remove the last traces of carpeting glue from the hull.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The engine will be put together soon, meanwhile I'm planning the deck structure. I'd be happy if you guys could tell me which solution seems best in your opinion?

As I mentioned earlier, the actual deck will be hatches. And the top of the bulkheads and stringers will work as a path for the inevitable water to seep out. I'm just having a problem seeing how this should be done. Either the U form should be molded separately and glued to the additional bulkhead I'm glassing in on top of the old one, or then it all could be done in one sweep. Or then I'll just laminate the edges on separately like in figure two.

No clue really? Any ideas?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I like the engineering even though I may not completely understand it...
My way of thinking is if the Molded U is of fiberglass, I see no reason why you could not attach it to the top of the bulkhead/stringer with a Thickened resin between the two to act as a glue, smooth whatever oozes out and almost immediately tie everything together with some cloth laminations...

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Some updates! Thanks GT for your advice, that's how I'll do it! Still need to determine the proper gunwale height before building the deck structure. Ought to be at least a bit over the knee I guess.

Still need to wait for a new push rod and then I'll rebuild the engine, every part is painted and prepared for the installation.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Still need to redo the wire harness and renew the gas and gear cables. But otherwise It's pretty much there.