Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Finnish fishing boat overhaul

3c60cc54-bed4-4d92-9739-99c276f19ec5.jpg

Laura_kemio.jpg

Now I'll just need to get this unrelated work project done and I'll begin tearing the thing apart!

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Solid looking stand red herring. I thought I'd made a good effort working on the boat over winter here (in a dry (ish) barn and never less than about -2 celcius)...great effort working on it outside in the snow in Finland!!

Cool boat by the way!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome back from the deep freeze, hopefully it will start to warm up for you...
Excellent boat support cradle...looks solid.
Can't wait to see what comes next...:D

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat Red. I will be following along :eagerness:

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat!

I have to wonder why ( since the hull appears to be good ) you don't just clean it up a bit and get it into the water? Why tear it apart until you try it out? Maybe you will like it the way it is.

Randy

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited about the whole thing, can't wait to get my hands dirty.

The cradle might be a bit over done, since some say the wood will rot anyway in a few years. Speaking of cold, we've had the longest winter in ages up here this year. We had to remove huge amounts of snow (60-80cm in places) in hope that the truck could drive all the way to the yard. In retrospect it was all for nothing, the driver decided not to risk it and left the boat on the road we made for him to drive on.

And yeah, of course I could just clean it up. There's just a few too many compromises with the current cabin and how it's built. It doesn't really work that well for scuba diving or sport fishing, and you're sitting on the engine while driving (noise). On top of that the old builder didn't really do that good of a job, the cabin is really heavy and ugly. Figured I can't make it worse.

But yeah, it's worth a thought anyway, I'd save a lot of money and time of course. But where's the fun in that?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I know that in building the new forward cabin I would leave it big enough to have a big bench/bed of sorts,...

Someday I would love to have something big enough to drop anchor and sleep,......................

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Another photo.

I agree completely. The forward cabin will have two beds in the front.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Dang that's cool,............

If I lived on the Great Lakes I'd be searching high and low for something like that,.......................

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Some progress with the tent, still need to add a little bit of this and that, but it's getting close. I'll probably be able to tarp it this weekend.

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now you can tell people you have your own boathouse!

Seriously though, it looks really good.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Lincoln logs for adults :cool:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

double post

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Hahah. Yeah, the amount of wood going into that contraption is crazy. I could've built a permanent house with this effort.

When that thing is done, it's time to open all hatches and start drying the bilge while pulling hardware. Can't wait!

Thanks guys!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I can't wait to see this come together,..............

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Finally done with the tent! Now the boat is actually drying out for the first time ever. Now the real stuff is getting real close. Attached a picture of a local lizard that I found under some planks (it looks like a snake but isn't, somehow it has no legs), and a view of the archipelago I'm yearning to get the boat into eventually, shot on sunday evening from a bigger boat I took from Turku to Stockholm.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Outstanding enclosure! Very well Done!:)
AAAAAhhhhh, that is a beautiful scene...you'll be lounging out there before you know it in your beautifully restored boat...
smiley-fish.gif

And, by the way, that is one funky looking snake-like salamander thing...:noidea:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks GT! Now I finally started working on the boat:

First I put those on.

And borrowed some tools from my dad.

That's how far I got on saturday. The sabre saw made quick work of the old cabin.

That's how I left it on sunday. Then I tried to clean the bilge a bit:

Some really nasty bio-mass-stuff(leaves and such?) was all over the bilge, I didn't even get half of the crap out yet.

Stern view. Still a lot to remove.

The engine. A raw water cooled BMW D50 with only 150 hours on it. I'm determined to keep it for as long as possible. Actually, I won't even remove it for the rebuild. I'll get a new tank, new filters and renew all the hoses though. Might even put on some new paint after degreasing. (attached the pics in the next post)

I had so much fun doing all this! Even though it was really hot and dirty most of the time. I got my first case of glass-itch while cutting the old cabin as well! The full face mask was well worth the money.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The gentleman who built the last cabin had no idea what he was doing. I know it'll be a hundred times better after we're finished with it, at least if you guys keep on helping!

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang, Red, NICE BOAT! Takes me back to my commercial fishing days. 150 hours on a diesel is basically "break-in" period so your plan to replace tanks/filters etc is sound. Properly maintained, that engine will outlive the owner. I'll be watching this most excellent project.