Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider

Just wondering what your plan is for the rear bench seat mounting to the floor? I know the back panel(engine/seat seperator) screws into the floor on mine, as does the panel below the front of the bench seat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Same here. I'm going to screw them down, after filling the holes with 3M 5200. I still have to figure out what to do about the middle "foot" of the front support. It lands right in the middle of the deck plate for the fuel sending unit. Other than that, I'll put it back in the same as it was before, I think.

Do you have ideas about how to put it in?

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same here. I'm going to screw them down, after filling the holes with 3M 5200. I still have to figure out what to do about the middle "foot" of the front support. It lands right in the middle of the deck plate for the fuel sending unit. Other than that, I'll put it back in the same as it was before, I think.

I had the same issue. Ended up making some "mounting blocks" out of some scrap HDPE which attached to the center of the seat frame stradling the fuel sender hatch. Mounted all frames to the floor using threaded inserts (Stainless Steel Threaded Insert, UNC Threads, HRC96 Hardness, 1/4"-20 Threads, 0.625" Length, 60200 psi Tensile Strength, Made In US, Pack Of 10: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific) which were epoxyed in. Makes for very easy removal and exact placement during reassembly.

Ben

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Oh, not really anybody in particular... always interested in your thoughts on the matter, of course!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

On my rear bench seat I ended up not attaching it to the floor. I made gunwale brackets instead. Worked out great!

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looked at the pics again and have a thought. The middle "foot" attaches to the floor to prevent it from moving horizontally. Why not remove the existing foot, and replace with a long L-bracket (or piece of bent aluminum), which extends beyond the hatch. Then, secure the L-bracket to the floor behind the hatch, closer to the "firewall".

Ben

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I think that middle foot takes some weight when you sit in middle of the bench, in addition to preventing front-to-back movement. (I had someone sit on the seat deck and it definitely was deflecting the access panel.

I don't see any good way to avoid connecting it to the floors. I did, however, find a couple pieces of 1/2" or 5/8" thick starboard. The pieces are about 3" wide and about 6" long. I'm going to screw those to the back of the front panel, to form legs on either side of the access panel. I'll probably do something like Ben suggests to prevent the front support from bowing out (or in). That way, the starboard legs will support weight when someone sits on the bench seat, and the brace will keep the front support panel from bowing toward the fore or aft ends of the boat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Pics of attachment hardware for the sunpad (in response to a request from a PM).

Port strut assembly (gas spring) viewed from the starboard side:

P1020649.jpg

One of two hinges (this is the starboard hinge):

P1020652.jpg

Top and bottom attachment hardware for the gas springs:

P1020654.jpgP1020655.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

And here are the pics of the assembled interior!

All that's left is to get the stereo to work (all I'm getting is a bass signal out of the speakers). Then, I splash her!

View from rear seat facing the front of the boat:

P1020643.jpg

Rear seat and sunpad:

P1020642.jpg

Driver's seat:

P1020644.jpg

Engine compartment, starboard side:

P1020646.jpg

Engine compartment, port side:

P1020647.jpg

Hoping to splash this week. Many of the local rivers are still flooding, so it's hard to know if I'll be able to get it in the water.

I will, of course, document the event for posterity!

Jim

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great, congrats!

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good Jim!!! Congrats on getting her back together.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Thanks, jbcurt00 and HalfFish. I think I finished everything off tonight... got the sound system working, installed a new lanyard on the kill switch, and got all the vinyl cleaned and protected with Aerospace 303 protectant.

It sound silly, but I find myself looking for excuses to go out and sit in the boat, just like after we first bought it. (In that vein, my boat's glove box is cleaned and organized, by service manual books are tidy, and I'm fully familiarized with the new seat adjustment controls on the driver's seat!)

I can't wait to splash it. That's the only thing left to be able to declare this project complete.

Jim

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider - SPLASHED!

Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider - SPLASHED!

SPLASHED! (Sort of...)

Well, I finally got the boat in water! I was hoping to report a triumphant outing, bone-dry bilge, etc., but it's just a little less wonderful than that.

I seem to have a leak. The transom itself seems to be watertight. I think the rubber boot between the Y-pipe and the cast metal elbow to the manifold on the starboard side needs to be adjusted. Whenever the motor was running, I was getting a fairly steady trickle of water into the bilge. I could see a bit of water seeping out of that rubber fitting, and I think it may have been leaking even more from the rear part, which I couldn't see so well. The water only seemed to be coming in when the motor was running, so I'm hopeful it's just the rubber fitting that's leaking.

I'm hoping a little readjustment and re-clamping of the rubber fitting will take care of matters. It didn't help that bad weather was moving in and we couldn't be more thorough in checking it out.

It felt great to see the boat floating (even it was still hooked to the trailer at the bow), but I'll be much happier when I can be zipping around with a dry bilge.

Aside from adjusting the exhaust pipe fitting, anything else I should be looking at that might also be leaking when the engine is running?

I've been trying without success to upload a video to Youtube as evidence that the boat did touch water last night, but Youtube seems to be having issues... as soon as I can upload it, I'll post the link.

Jim

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome news man. It sounds like you can have that leak fixed up in just a few minutes and could test it out in the driveway. Hey if thats all that happens to me, I will be a happy man! Congrats!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I'm hoping that's all it is... I didn't get the water leaking out of the rubber fittings when I ran it on muffs, but I'm not sure it ever got warm enough to open the thermostat. I didn't exceed about 1500 rpm on the muffs, but I revved it pretty good when I dunked it yesterday. The temp gauge definitely read higher than when it was on muffs.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider - RE-SPLASHED.... SUCCESS!!!!

Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider - RE-SPLASHED.... SUCCESS!!!!

Took the boat out and dipped it again, after re-fitting the rubber exhaust hose on the starboard side. Dropped the back end in until the boat was floating over the trailer, and ran it for about 30 minutes, at times up to 3000 rpm. No leaks, no drips.... there is a touch of moisture in the bilge, but I think it was left over from our previous attempt at a splash.

I'm not calling this boat fixed until I can take it out on some big water and open it up, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic at this point! Woo hoo!

I'm going to try to get into the Mississippi (at Keokuk, IA) this weekend, if the docks are in and the river's not up. I wanna see how the boat runs under load, shifts, etc. Man, I can't wait, now...

Jim

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds great man, glad it worked out. Still think your pulling our chain since you haven't uploaded the video yet...:chuncky:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I totally forgot to film tonight... I was completely focused on whether I had any drips!