MFG rebuild getting started pics

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

Peanut Butter is thickened resin. Basically Polyester resin mixed with cabosil and chopped milled fiberglass fibers untill it is the consitency of creamy peanut butter.

Wood, having hard time finding cabosil locally . Is there another name or brand for this ? Can I chop my own fibers for PB?
Thanks. S.P.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Finding cabosil locally will prolly not be fruitful. www.uscomposites.com is where I get mine. Very inexpensive and you can get your 1/4" chopped fibers there too. 5qts of Cabosil is $7.25 and 2lb tub of Fibers is $6.50 Shipping should be around $10 bucks. I don't think that cloth is 1708. 1708 has 8oz of Mat sewn to the back of it. It appears to be a biaxial cloth but I can't tell the weight of it. If you order from USC ask them to send you a sample of 1708 so you can compare to what you have.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wood you are right about biaxle cloth. Am I gunna have to grind off? I have already layed some at the top of transom mostly to add thickness I was going to then lay csm over whole area.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is 1708 biax and Woven Roving structurally equal? Just wondering.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hello S.P.,

Looks like a nice project you got going on here. I would like to come aboard and watch, learn and support you on your endeavor...:)

May you and your family enjoy a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Best of Luck,
GT1M

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks GT1 . You are more than welcome come along for the ride ! I,m gunna need all the help I can get .
Hope you and yours have very merry Christmas also!!:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey wood, I found cabosil at local store it says designed to be used with epoxy. Made by marpro. Can you use with poly?
S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I have glassed the top of transom to form skin for the nidabond. So I,m gunna start building jig to support shell to keep transom straight . The transom is curved so I made a template out of some heavy floor protection paper I saved from the job site dumpster. I then cut the radius out of 3/4 " Plywood for top and bottom supports . I was going to place picture but I am having problems :mad: I got new camera , downloaded Kodak easyshare , then to desktop and can,t get em to post ! Gunna try again tomorrow. Had some good pics to...:facepalm: :confused: :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A little glassin 101. When using Poly Resin you must ALWAYS lay CSM first before laying Woven or Cloth in order to get a proper bond. With Epoxy you do not use CSM only Cloth. Woven Roving is as it says a simple woven cloth where biaxial cloth is woven not only horizontally and vertically but also diagonally. This makes is much stronger and makes it easier to conform to irregular shapes. 1708 biaxial cloth is a 17 oz cloth with 8oz of CSM sewn to the back side making it a very practical cloth to use when using Poly. Cabosil is a filler used to thicken both Poly and Epoxy resins. This thickened resin is used for filleting and gap filling and can be structural if you add glass fibers to the mix. If you have applied cloth without CSM then I would advise you to grind it off.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the 101 Wood. I did grind woven completly out then applied CMS then woven again on the back skin . On the inside skin I left the biaxle cloth but I did grind the outside lap edge down to original glass leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch cloth lap. Then layed CMS with about 3 to 4 inch lap over existing glass. It all seemed to bond really well . Thanks for cabosil info.
Gunna git pics problem worked out hopfully tomorrow...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

test pic
DSC00007.jpg

radius top and bottom supports
DSC00005.jpg

side supports
DSC00010.jpg

Then screwed side and horiz. supports together....
DSC00012.jpg

Then cut 1/2 inch ply to fit inside skin and screwed together..
And fit in place..
DSC00014.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I did basically the same thing on outside support but I ran vertical side supports down to plywood that I tap-con'ed to floor. I then took inside support back off and cut skin out to prepare for more glass..
DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

Now gunna start grinding.:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Wood. Hopefully I,ll do something right on this project . Can you give me any pointers on keeping really small air bubbles out there,s got to be a trick to it...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

bubble roller and don't use to much resin. Most guys use way to much resin IMHO. Roll a thin layer on the precoated plywood, lay the glass pour some resin on but not to much, use shortnap roller with mild pressure at first to move the resin around and then heavier pressure then switch to the bubble roller with heavy pressure. Start in the middle and work towards the edges. Don't roll back to the center, pick up the roller when you reach the edge and then go back to the middle and put id down and roll out to the edge again. You can roll back to the middle with ligh strokes but use the heavy strokes going out to the edges. But like I said, most problems occur because you use to much resin. It takes a while for the fibers to absorb the resin an go clear on you so be patient and wait for it. Don't think it's dry and needs more resin. Keep working it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Is this a bubble roller..
DSC00031.jpg

I used this on cloth and it worked very well. But when I tried on CSM it seemed to pick up the strands and get kinda funky..
Here is inside of inside skin I did this afternoon..
DSC00035.jpg

I made some mamy made (home made) grinding tools to get to bottom of last bit of transom Istill have some clean up to do down there.
IMHO if anyone is planing to use seacast or nidabond they should cut inside skin out to really clean all bits of wood out. It,s the only way to get it clean.
DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Man what in world is on my lens ! :eek:
More pics..
DSC00034.jpg

My steering system seems to still work OK . Hopefully I can sand and repaint and replace wheel with something better looking..
DSC00036.jpg

Ithink the plywood is OK . Should I glass this over?
DSC00038.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

MFG made the deck in the bow raised . Every time you wash out boat you have a duck pond. Do you think I could cut out and flatten a small section of the raised lip without compromising hull strength ...
DSC00051.jpg

Also , when I sand inside of hull for paint prep should all of the old paint be removed??
DSC00053.jpg

Thanks for advise S.P.