MFG rebuild getting started pics

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

Hello,
Nice boat, I have the same one less the hardtop.
I'm also in North Florida. (Flagler Beach)
Too bad about the transom. My transom was rotted and I was able to remove all the rotten wood and pour with seacast without removing the inner or outer fiberglass or the top.
I believe the floor is all fiberglass with no wood to rot. Had it out for the first time this summer. Used a 50 HP Tohatsu that pushed it about 25 mph. People loved the lines, it cuts through waves with a rock solid feel although it's fairly light and comes up right out of the hole even with the 50 HP motor.
Enjoy!

halfmoa

Ensign

agreed. Every classic boat needs a classic tow vehicle to pull it!! This is my rig-

truckboat.jpg

i think that they look nice together :)

-andrew

that's my trailer!

[/hijack]

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice Andgott!
I always was and still am fond of ford trucks...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hello,
Nice boat, I have the same one less the hardtop.
I'm also in North Florida. (Flagler Beach)
Too bad about the transom. My transom was rotted and I was able to remove all the rotten wood and pour with seacast without removing the inner or outer fiberglass or the top.
I believe the floor is all fiberglass with no wood to rot. Had it out for the first time this summer. Used a 50 HP Tohatsu that pushed it about 25 mph. People loved the lines, it cuts through waves with a rock solid feel although it's fairly light and comes up right out of the hole even with the 50 HP motor.
Enjoy!

Been checking into nidabond it,s less $$
Motor brackets are still going thru my head...:rolleyes:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Ok , time to get back to transom...I was thinking of doing this...

IMG00361-20111127-1738.jpg

IMG00364-20111127-1740.jpg

But after much thought and pondering I have compromised and will probably do this...

IMG00406-20111217-1729.jpg

IMG00402-20111217-1724.jpg

Ok guys give me honest opinions .
Full transom and small splashwell. I want more room in cockpit.
I know I know get a bigger boat!:rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I vote for option 2. I do not think you would be happy with the pod. It could significantly affect the handling of your boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Ok Wood here,s my plan..
I am going to use nidabond so I will use foam covered with packing tape or plastic visqueen to build form.
Grind / bevel edges .
use woven roven, bi-axle, woven roven to build height and thickness.
Cut out inside skin very close to sides
Grind and clean everywhere
New glass on inside of outside skin rolling around corners 8 inches or so. Same on inside skin with extra for laps. This will happen right before pour for better adhesion.
Then more glass outside and inside then cap top.

Please let me know if I am screwing up somewhere!

Thanks, S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I checked out Archbuilders project. Very nice work!
He used seacast . I plan on using nidacore because it is about half the price and seems to be just as strong. Nidacore,s instructions say for best bond you should lay up a layer of fresh glass/resin before the pour. I noticed on arch,s transom he used cut pieces of cardboard tubes epoxied in place as spacers . Seacast info states that you should not use epoxy because it will not bond. There,s very little there so it,s probably not an issue.
Anyway I started some glass work. The woven roven does not bend around corners to well.:confused:
Any tips would be most useful ..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Find a post by friscoboater, & page thru either of his resto projects. He's on you-tube as well. He addresses glassing edges, contours & corners in all 3 places. Video w/ commentary as well. VERY helpful. He doesn't do a lot of glassing & videos until he got a tripod. Then he's posting TONS of info via videos. Reading is good, watching is better. Specifically @contours getting good contact, & keeping it, & minimizing air bubbles.

There are lots of other good instructional threads. Oops is also documents his work incredibly well. WOG is giving you great advice TOO, his interior vinyl sewing videos are fantastic. Start shopping for a 'good' heavy duty sewing machine!:cool: Nobody would believe I got into a fiberglass restore & learned to sew.....:eek:

Good luck & I'll live vicariously through your progress. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I checked out Archbuilders project. Very nice work!
He used seacast . I plan on using nidacore because it is about half the price and seems to be just as strong. Nidacore,s instructions say for best bond you should lay up a layer of fresh glass/resin before the pour. I noticed on arch,s transom he used cut pieces of cardboard tubes epoxied in place as spacers . Seacast info states that you should not use epoxy because it will not bond. There,s very little there so it,s probably not an issue.
Anyway I started some glass work. The woven roven does not bend around corners to well.:confused:
Any tips would be most useful ..

Yeah, woven does NOT like corners. That's why I use 1708 biaxial. Seacast and Nidacore are basically the same product. I've never used either so I cannot speak from experience. Both are Poly based products so they will have a problem bonding to epoxy. I'd recommend prebuilding your inner skin just like Archbuilder did using the csm and the woven. I would then just lay a layer or two of 1.5oz csm on the outer skin of the transom and then use the spacers and pour the thing.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Does this look like 1708 biaxle there was no # on roll.
IMG00407-20111217-1731.jpg

works well on inside / outside corners?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yes. Andmake sure the shiny side is up!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

1708 biax looks like this.
fiberglass%201708.JPG

It has CSM stitched to one side of it. It conforms to well to both inside and outside corners IF they are rounded coved (filleted) or routed rounded edge.

Woven Roving looks like this... It does not like corners unless you Pre-crease it and even then still not great. You Must use CSM befor laying Woven and then between each layer of woven another layer of CSM must be applied. The 1708 has the CSM already attached.

Glass-Fiber-Woven-Roving-E-C-Glass.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I hope I did,nt mess up to bad . I glassed in a layer of woven to form top of transom before CSM. Can I add layer csm over woven? I will be adding more layers to the inside of outside skin after I cut inside skin out. I plan on using the existing inside skin and adding to top. Do I have to sand new dried glass before next layer? Here is what I did yesterday..
IMG00413-20111219-1659.jpg

Thanks S.P.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CSM always goes down first, then woven, then another layer of CSM, then Woven etc..... If you put the woven down first without CSM it will prolly not adhere properly and delaminate.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

CSM always goes down first, then woven, then another layer of CSM, then Woven etc..... If you put the woven down first without CSM it will prolly not adhere properly and delaminate.
Crapolaaa!:mad: Gunna grind out tomorrow then do it right next time;) Won,t make that mistake again!

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

That sucks sp ........ I know how that feels. I have had to grind out way too many of my mistakes but I guess that is how us newbies learn.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Jon the only other glassing Iv,e done was on my future son inlaws glassmaster tri-hulls deck and 2 surfboards broken in half by hurricane Lee "thank you very little". All of em holding up good.. I almost cried when I snapped the G&S!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I got off work was going to store to get some CSM . Somehow this grew in the bed of my truck..
IMG00417-20111220-1702-1.jpg

Well there,s only one thing to do. Start digging Buddy! Good boy!
IMG00419-20111220-1706.jpg

Easy does it...
IMG00420-20111220-1730.jpg

TaaaDaaa!
IMG00421-20111220-1803.jpg

Guess I will get back on glassing tomorrow .:cool: