Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Thank you all for your concern.:redface:

This is on my "I REALLY, REALLY NEED TO GET THIS NOW!!!!", list":eek:

And yes, I was wearing a respirator and safety glasses, but I am definitely picking up one of those face shield respirators, TODAY!

I do body work for a living and even with plastic body fillers I take precautions...while not as wicked as 'glass, it can still ruin your seeing and breathing functions;)

Fortunately, my exposure was minimal and will never happen again...:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Well, as everyone doing this insane thing says, "life has gotten in the way" and I did not get to do as much as I would have liked.

Anyhow, since money is kinda tight, as in non-existent, but I did want to get some grinding in this weekend, I picked up an inexpensive pair of goggles to keep my eyeballs in there proper working order.

After suiting up this afternoon, I put on my eyeball protection using , besides talc all over me self, a little vaseline around the edge of the goggles to help seal them better...I must say my peepers are pleased!:)

OK, first off I have been using a Sawzall and a 4-1/2" grinder with metal cut-off wheels to remove the majority of the stringers. So far, so good. Actually it has been going along real good. All of the stringers are removed. The amount of actual grinding left to do is quite encouraging, if there could be such a thing:rolleyes:...

The use of the cut-off wheel, has reduced the amount of grinding to smoothing over all of the cuts and fairing in the remaining glass mat.

Now, for a interesting bit of information...

I have discovered that Glasstream used thin strips of plywood, glassed in to the strakes. I was noticing what looked like a lump in the strakes with glass mat over them.
I decided to cut into them and that is when I found these strips of plywood, all rotten, buried in there...still have a few more left to remove, but most are gone.

My question is, What the H do I replace these with??? They don't seem very structural, as the hull itself is mostly 1/2" thick Fiberglass, but I would imagine that they help???...:confused::confused:

I am thinking of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe, and peanut buttering and glassing them in... or maybe some kind of hardwood dowels???:confused::confused:

Or just a layer of PB?

Any ideas?...

See the red lines in the attached pics...

Thanks,
GT1M

Attachments

• DSCF1273.jpg
    DSCF1273.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1313.jpg
    DSCF1313.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hum,
I didn't find that in my Glasstream, interesting same year too.
I would just add a few layers of glass to replace what you removed. I can't imagine that it added that much strength to it.
Have fun,
Bob

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Mine have foam in them, I think its just to give the glass some shape, the glass is the structural part, of course that's on mine, yours may have another purpose..I plan to just lay some glass over the areas that broke thru the glass.

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yeah, I kind of figured that it was a quasi-structural thing, so I think I will get some of that pink/blue foam, cut some strips, PB them in and add a couple of layers of glass over them...:confused:

That is, of course, after much grinding yet to do...:facepalm:

GT1M

Me1stBoat

Seaman

Some damn fine reading in your thread!! See that i have some supplies i'm gonna need to procure before i start various phases of my resto. Your well ahead of my resto GT, gonna have to see if i can catch up.

I'm gonna try out my rotozip with the right angle blade attachments this evening to see if it makes better time in getting the old floor cut out.

Question for ya GT, i see you popped your cap. Is this your first resto and was it hard to do to pop the cap?? Reason i ask, Frisco Boater replied on mine that i may have to pop the cap on mine. Really kinda scares me as i see getting so far into this and then hitting something i can't overcome, such as getting the cap back on and then the boat never gets finished.

Guess thats how my brain works sometimes, i usually am thinking 4 or 5 steps ahead of what i'm actually doing looking for problems.

Keep up the great work. I subscribed to your thread so i can keep track of it.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

GT, I had to come check out your boat. It really does have a lot of things that were the same. You are doing a great job!!!!! Where are you at on it now? One thing. I saw a boat kinda like yours the way your "splash drain" is setup. Is there any way you can make that water drain into bilge instead of out the transom. There was a boat I was looking into buying for cheap (198 tee something year bumblebee) and it was setup the same way. It may be an older setup. I was gonna rebuild the transom. The hole that was drilled into the transom, water had gotten into it. If possible I would suggest finding a way to route the water down into bilge instead of out thru transom hole. But I don't know. If someone else has any advice on this please tell me. Cause Im still looking into buying that bumblebee boat. I would just avoid at all cost drilling any holes in that fresh transom if not needed. But it looks great man!!! And I am by no means a pro at this! Keep up the great work!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah......instead of the foam in the strakes....i would just glass in there......a layer of csm and another of 1708 and done.....it was just for insurance in the strakes as they tend to get banged more than the hull . you could also use the pb and dowel.....add a layer of wet pb....then lay the dowel,,,,then smooth over with more pb and glass over....done forever....if someone rips it in 50 years....they wont even see the area..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks oops! That sounds like a plan...

Hey, I just thought of something, if you wrap the foam with aluminum foil, add the fiberglass matting over it, let cure, then soak the piece in acetone, the foam would melt away and leave an aluminum/fiberglass composite[poor mans version anyway]...
you would end up with a fiber-tin boat...LOL, or alumaglass boat, or ...:D

Anyhoooo, just finished up for the evening and got 99.9% of the rot-wood out of the hull...sooo sorry, no pics of the hull...got way too dark, even for the flash...

the real fun begins next...

GRINDING!!!!

Yipeeee!Wooohooo!

Oh and this is my costume for next year's halloween....BOOO! I can make everyone itch that comes near me...:p

Later all,
GT1M

Attachments

• DSCF1317.jpg
    DSCF1317.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Wrong type of foam, The foam they use in the boat will just absorb the acetone. it won't melt it.

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wrong type of foam, The foam they use in the boat will just absorb the acetone. it won't melt it.

lol, yeah... i tried that. It didn't work well. If it did i prob would have bought a whooooole bunch of acetone to remove the old foam in my boat!!! hehehe

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Wow, Seems to be a lot of folks from KY on here anymore.
Thats good to see.

Bob

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep!!! from down yonder in the south!!!! :D Im actually from Tennessee, Jamestown. But I live in good ole BGKY now.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

BG Is only about an hour south of me.
Sorry about the tempory thread High jack GT. :p

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

No problemo, BGS, y'all 's welcome anytime...:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Man-O-Man! Where to begin...
I suppose that this rant will one day become part of my boats historical [hysterical?] restoration diary...
Let me start out by saying that there are a bunch of us doing some serious parallel thinking, cause it seems PMMc, JDA and myself are doing the grinding dance at the same time...
I am sitting down now and contemplating what has happened in the last day...
My 'puter refused to stay connected to my wireless connection for more than a few seconds at a time, in the last 24 hours, and to say that was frustrating the 'H' out'a me, is a complete understatement...Somehow, today, after going through the motions of resetting, rebooting, re-freaking, re-everything countless times, it decided to stay connected long enough for me to get caught up with my fellow Iboaters threads and tell you all my story of saddening and maddening proportions...

Story goes like this...and I am sticking to it...

Got up early yesterday morning to a beautiful, bright, cool south Florida day, all fired up to get some grinding done on the hull...
Got myself all suited up and started to go at it...
Couple of hours later, I noticed that the grinding wheel was still hanging in there, albeit, getting smaller around the edges, and I had gotten almost a good third of the entire hull grond down...
Soooo, I decided to take a water break, and get back on it... feeling inspired that I might just be able to get most, if not all of the hull prepped by the end of the day...
Grinding, grinding, grinding away for another couple of hours and I can almost see [if I cleaned my goggles], the end of the grinding out of all of the old...
Yeah Babeee, feelin alright...time for another quick water break and git-r-dun!

That's when it happened...
I go around the side of the house to get UN-dusted with my little pancake compressor to blow me off before I go inside for some water, and there is a cop standing there??? Yeah, a cop?

So I signal to him, that I'll be with him in a minute, I blow myself off a bit and go tend to him...

Seems I P'd off a neighbor with my dust and they anonymously called the PD...

Well, I try to be a good citizen and tell the cop I'm sorry and that I will cease and desist immediately...

He goes away, saying that he really doesn't care what I am doing, but that I really should get finished up...

The WORRY-Bug sets in on me and I figure it is in my best interest to just put my toys away and call it a day...

Very ticked off at this point, the first thought that goes through my head is, where's my chainsaw...and NOT for a hull extension...

After getting everything cleaned up and put away, only 15-20 square feet of almost 140 square feet of boat left to grind, I started thinking how I am going to solve this new boat restoration dilemmna???

Well, at this time, I am still very P'd-off, quite confounded and thoroughly discouraged.

I have a solution to this problem bouncing around in my head, but it is gonna have to bounce around in my empty wallet for a while...

Y'all see, I think I mentioned that I don't have a garage to work in, so I am at the mercy of Mother Nature and NOW, Mother-#(&^*& neighbors...:mad:
But I am now going to have to think about spending more money that I don't have on some kind of completely enclosable shelter, similar to the ones sold at Harbor Freight or Northern...they sell a 10X20 for between 2-300 bucks...Damn, that's probably half my wood and glass budget...

Well, I thank y'all for letting me rant and rave, it has helped a little, not much...

I'll be lurking in the background keeping up with the rest of y'alls antics and accomplishments, but until I can resolve this situation, my own project will be on indefinite hold...DAMN!!!

GT1M:facepalm:

Attachments

• DSCF1340.jpg
    DSCF1340.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1343.jpg
    DSCF1343.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1344.jpg
    DSCF1344.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1345.jpg
    DSCF1345.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1346.jpg
    DSCF1346.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I pissed off my neighbors with the smell or the poly... I told them I could get rid of it if they'd pay for epoxy :D but I did then take advantage of my garage...

I'd take grinding over banging reevits any day :D:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Dunno if you read my thread completely, but had the exact same thing happen to me....they could not say a thing about the noise, because I was doing it during proper hours, but told me to stop until I could contain my dust. I ended up wrapping my car-port with plastic (which I know is not an option for you); However, you could go cheap, because it only needs to be up wile your grinding, and do a small enclosure with four 4X4 posts, some 2X4s around the top/bottom and enclose it with some sheet plastic....remove plastic when your done. wouldn't cost ya more than 100 bucks i I figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.