Aluminum v hull restoration, how-to's? Lmuss53's 171CC Sea Nymph Striper

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Aluminum v hull restoration, how-to's? Lmuss53's 171CC Sea Nymph Striper

IMAG0407.jpg

Here's a little progress, I put the Minnkota AP 55 on and wanted the co-pilot option so I found a copilot cover and a fob on ebay. The cover didn't go to this style motor so I just screwed it on right where the trolling motor plug goes. It work fine so that's what matters. I am going to get an electronics box from radio shack and put the board and antenna in that eventually.

I'm thinking of putting that string of rope lights around the inside of the bottom piece of trim. I laid it around last night and hooked it up and even with it not up under the edge it doesn't make much light. It looks neat, but it doesn't do much. It would be OK for an interior light while docking I guess. I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

IMAG0406.jpg

The old trolling bar from tha Starcraft, Brother Chasmo made this about 15 years ago, this is probably boat number 4 or 5 for this bar.

IMAG0405.jpg

LOUD Horn

IMAG0404.jpg

My old tried and true Lowrance LMS-480. Color side imaging sonar is in the future somewhere, but at $1000 and up for these units I will have to save up for that.

No fish yet, I haven't really gone. I think I will go for a systems check splash today and then we are ready.

I bought a stereo that fits is a 3 inch dash hole for this boat, but I think I will put that in the pontoon and use my phone with a small amp and speakers here.

I thought I was ready to go fishing after the first splash, I guress I forgot how long it takes to pull wires and wire up switches, and hook all this stuff up. So far everytthing is wired right, through a fuse or breaker with an actual switch and some of them do what the label says they do. :p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nearly there!

Giboni

Cadet

I actually read 3-4 pages of this thread before I bought my boat. Then while trying to figure out what the deadrise on my boat is I started reading this thread again. It wasn't until I noticed you where a bullscreeker that it all clicked. Awesome job. Really thorough documentation and boat transformation. A+

bkrookie

Recruit
Re: Aliminum v hull restoration, how-to's?

Re: Aliminum v hull restoration, how-to's?

Regardless of what you decide to do, you have a nice boat there. You mention going with either carpet or vinyl. I'm not a big fisherman (casual fisherman) but replaced the carpet on my rear deck with vinyl and highly recommend it. It's easy to install, rinses off well (bonus for fisherman) and my kids have no issue between the vinyl and carpet for their bare feet (mostly tubing on my 1750 sportfish this year)

Have fun!

Just bought first fishing boat ('76 Crestliner) and vinyl floor covering is curled up at seams. Where did you get the vinyl floor covering? How easy was it to remove previous covering and install new vinyl? Any tips?

64osby

Admiral

So far everytthing is wired right, through a fuse or breaker with an actual switch and some of them do what the label says they do.

Always nice when that happens if if it's accidental. Nice job getting it wrapped up.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the interest in my thread guys, Giboni are you from Southern Blair County?:redface: I grew up in Cleveland OH, but I've lived in Claysburg or Roaring Spring since 1979.

Bkrookie, here is a link to a good vinyl thread, this one is about as nice as I've seen and jigngrub is a very good vinyl spokesman, IMHO.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=509163

Giboni

Cadet

Lmuss
I too grew up south of Cleveland, you know where pearl and 303 intersect? I am related to everyone in claysburg. You probably know most of my relatives if you lived in claysburg and Roaring spring since 79. Do you know Mike Musselman?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Okay, now I'm pretty sure you are 1 of my relatives just messin with me. I graduated from Brunswick High, and Mike is my younger brother. I think your initials are TC.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a brief update, the painting is still on hold, the Nymph is safely in my garage and Will has a blown up Honda Accord in his so we'll wait until he gets that finished up.

I got a dead short in the wire feeding my bait tank pump and burned a snaky looking trail in the floor carpet, SOOO.. I'm for sure taking that piece up and replacing it with Vinyl. I'm really lucky I didn't burn the boat up with that bait tank wire trick BTW. I lucked out in that I saw it start to smoke and was able to pull the wire off the battery before it got real hot. Yes, there was no fuse in the line. No, that won't happen again.

So we are in line for paint and a partial recover of some floor deck before Spring.

TrollPro

Cadet
hey I have the same boat and did a similar conversion. Your's is very nice. How do you like the carpet on the gun whales? Snag lots of hooks on it?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yep, it took me a while to notice the comment but I actually appreciate it.

The carpet on the gunwales does snag a hook or two, but not enough to cause any real issues. I replaced the floor carpet with vinyl and I guess if I was doing the whole thing over I would have put the vinyl on the gunwales too.

bkupmstr

Recruit
I realize this is an old thread, just wondering how long term boating withe the rebuilt sea nymp is
i have a 1987 that i acquired a while back that i hope to really use this coming spring

Status
Not open for further replies.