1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Has anyone dyed interior cushions?
In the cabin, the fabric is in good shape...it's just faded and stained.
I've got them all removed now and am washing them thoroughly.

They are not vinyl...but a fabric material.
Any advice on how to approach this?

I really don't wanna sew all those covers! I really dislike sewing after fighting with the vinyl.

seacas

Cadet

I tried to take a couple pictures of the head but they did not come out too well, too dark. Basically it has the same carpet as the floor and a thin blue material on the walls. Definately not ideal for a bathroom. I would suggest going to lowes or Home depot and getting some FRP (fiber resin panel). It is waterproof and can be adhered to the walls and floor with adhesive.

I was going to try ritz dye on my upholstry but don't think I will try it until winter. Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys,
Been super lazy and taking some time off from "boat work" as my wife calls it.
I have been buying things tho! lol I have the railing on the way to build a new stern railing.
Should have some updates coming soon.....
If weather holds out, i'll be on the lake this weekend. I enjoy working on the boat while on the water for some reason.
I bought some 6x9 speakers and boxes and will get those hooked up so I have some music outside of the cabin.
I was going to cut holes in the stern wall but couldn't bring myself to cut that big of a hole.
I figured with speakers in the boxes, I can move them around and stow them away to keep them out of the weather.
We'll see how it works out.

Been shopping around for materials to build a new cabin door also. Thicker sizes 1/2- plexiglass isn't cheap!
I really don't want to replace it with wood but may have to due to costs.....

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seacas,
thanks for the tip on the FRP, I actually looked at some today while browsing around lowe's.
Cheap and it should be a breeze to install. I think i'll go buy a sheet.

What to use for trim on the edges and seams? any ideas?

seacas

Cadet

They should have end caps and strips to join them right at Lowes.

Happy to see you back here, been hoping for some new pics on work you have done for some inspiration. I will have to get some pics up. So far I have refinished the doors and the wood step. I did pick up some ritz die to try on the cushions, will let you know when I try it.

As for your door check your local lumber yard. Locally the lumber yards have a type of Brazilian Mahogany called Miranti used for decking. It is rot resistant and has beautiful grain sometimes I can find some that is quartered or ribbon cut. It comes in 1x6 and costs about $3 per linear foot. I am going to make a section of my swim platform out of this. It will have a rotating mount for my kicker so I can turn it sideways across the swim platform for traveling.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

all i have been able to find is cedar, poplar, pine, and one other that I can't recall. Cedar is rot and moisture resistant and recommended for outdoor use....any cons to using this for the cabin doors?
I will of course seal the crap out of them with a good spar urethane.

you got to love this boat don't you? in the cabin theres so much head room and living space. and the cockpit's big enough for a family. my neibhor has one and i love so does he. nice looking boat.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks smallboatlover....ya, I really enjoy this boat and the layout. Just gotta get her back into good shape.

Anybody have any insight to using cedar for the cabin doors?
It says for outdoor use.....that doesn't mean it will last.
I don't want to rebuild it again in a year or two.

If Cedar is ok to use, would a good spar urethane be ok to protect it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cedar lasts outdoors. Doesn't last less just cuz it's in a boat :D

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you ezmobee! I'm going now to pick up the cedar boards I need....Thanks for the reassurance.
I'll get pics of the build process and the finished product.
Its not too hot outside today, so hopefully I'll get it done.

On a side note: I always seem to enjoy a beer or four while working on the boat....I've come to call the beer my "boat lubricant". My wife gets a kick out of it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, the cedar just didn't appeal to me.
The knots in it would be a pain. Also, couldn't find the dimensions I needed. Each side of the cabin door is 12 1/4" wide, widest cedar I could locate was 12" (actually more like 11)
I ended up with Arauco plywood, the grain looks appealing and once stained and sealed, I believe it will look nice.

On the new doors I am omitting the windows.
1. easier to build
2. less chance of leaks
3. more shade (we always hang a towel over the windows to block the sun anyways)
4. more security (don't want my new LCD TV stolen....... when i get one. lol)

Heading out to the shed now to begin working.

seacas

Cadet

McCloskey Man O'War Spar Marine Varnish is by far the best finish I have used. Compared to others it is much more durable, longer lasting and has great UV durability.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I got the new doors cut out and a coat of stain on them.
My circular saw took a crap on me and had to make a lowe's run to get a new one.
I got 7 years and a whole lot of cutting out of the old one that I paid 15 bucks for at dollar general. :p

Anywho....
The doors are actually NOT rectangles like I thought, they actually taper down toward the bottom from the outside edges.
I honestly had never noticed this.:facepalm:
Top edge was 12 1/4" wide , the bottom was 11"

The old door was completely delaminating from the bottom, most of the trim around the windows and edges was breaking off. It was time for a new door.
I posted pics of old door and new pieces cut and just after a coat of stain on one side.
I may do another a coat....I'm not sure.
Then, 3 or 4 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane gloss

they are out of order, but i'm to lazy to fix it.
cabin door pieces cut.jpgstained cabin door pieces.jpgold cabin door.jpgoutside of old cabin door.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

any thoughts as to other options for the trim piece down the middle to seal the seam of the two pieces?

The original had a narrow wood trim piece, I was thinking maybe some rubber trim or something for a better seal.

Any ideas?

seacas

Cadet

I hate to knock a product but compared to the Man o War, Helmsman does not last. I restore antiques and have refinished quite a bit of woodwork on boats, the Helmsman was a big disappointment. I had to completely redo all woodwork exposed to the elements half way through the season. I did a boat with the Man o War and it looks great after 2 years.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Ciera2450, awesome thread and a great job you've been doing on your Bayliner! So much inspiration. Your boats a lot like my Doral 240 Cavalier, layoutwise anyway. Thanks for sharing with us and looking forward to the ongoing saga! :)
Happy Boating and enjoy the long weekend.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks JBF, sharp looking boat you've got there!

Darn....I appreciate the tip seacas....too late now however! lol

When I have to redo it, i'll use your suggestion. I will say tho, I have a couple adirondak chairs outside that i covered with the helmsman a couple years ago and they still look good. I think I did five coats, I'm doing the same on the doors. We will see how it lasts.

Ya think I could top coat over the helmsman with man o war?

Trying to finish them up so I can hit the lake tomorrow for the long weekend.
Have a good one guys!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, been working on the cabin doors and sewing the cushion cover the seating in the helm area.
Took me till midnight.... starting at 8am to apply 5 coats of the urethane and allow to dry and sand between coats , but the cabin doors are basically done.:D

2 coats of minwax stain and 5 coats of helmsman.
Hardware is all mounted except for the pull handle.
I'm picking that up tomorrow on the way to the lake.
Door is ready to install.
A seal strip will be installed at the seam of the two pieces.....when I decide what I'm going to use there.
Any suggestions?

I didn't get pics of the seat cushion finished (it's in the boat :)) because it was dark. the pic of the new cabin door isn't the best either, I'll get a better shot in the morning.

I took a pic when I was laying out the pattern however. The two gray stripes match the stern seat. The backrest will carry the theme as well. I need more foam to finish those up.
I'm gonna see how this helmsman spar urethane holds up and will report. I researched the topic and wasn't happy with the results. Apparently, the UV resistance is horrible and it will bubble and generally look like crap.
I really appreciate the great advice Seacas. Wish I would have checked the forum about 5 hours sooner. lol
Goin to lake with wife for the weekend and Monday.

Have a great 4th everyone!

Attachments

• cabin door finished.jpg
    cabin door finished.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
  • seatcushionpattern.jpg
    seatcushionpattern.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1

sbcb17

Recruit
I have the same boat and doing to same thing!

I have the same boat and doing to same thing!

I bought mine last year and been through all major restoration on her. New upholstery all around, new painting and floor job inside the head, major tune-up on the engine (5.0L), new VHF antenna, new radio, gps/fishfinder,... and so on.

I will post pictures for all of you once I have them taken.

I am trying to install a new prop on the Volvo Penta 280 (which was installed when I bought her) but do not have any idea whether it is a short or long hub.

Also, I am going to give her a nice shiny wax on the hull and deck... any recommendation about which product works the best (there are just too many of 'em)?

I am so thrilled that you folks are working on the same boat as I am!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I have the same boat and doing to same thing!

Re: I have the same boat and doing to same thing!

Welcome to Iboats sbcb17!

Here is a pic of the new cabin doors all mounted. I still have to remove and refinish the header piece. I may have to drill out the dowels to access the mounting screws for it.

Also, the black part of the dash looked great for a week or two and the oxidation just returned. I'm going to try a little coarser compound and the buffer and rewax it. Hopefully, I can bring back the shiny black that I can see when it's wet or freshly waxed.

On another note, I broke my shifter cable while out on the water this weekend so I will be replacing that soon as well. I removed the linkage and cable at the drive and manually shifted the drive into gear to get back to the dock.
It is all my fault, I new the cable was going out on me, it was tough to shift into reverse. The shifter itself and the drive both move freely into fwd and reverse.
Of course it completely locked up fourth of July weekend with friends and family aboard.:mad:

Attachments

• new cabin doors.jpg
    new cabin doors.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.