1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

ETHAN is sure lookikn good. Nice boat should clean up nicley. Couple of great looking Kids.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Jas, I would pull the carb bowls off and clean them first. Then pull the plugs and squirt a bit of oil in the cylinders. After that hook up the gas or squirt some in the carbs as suggested. You can put it in a tank or hook up ears, but I wouldn't trust the impellar so when she starts, don't run it but for a few seconds, unless the hose is pushing water through. OH, and check your ignition wiring first too in case a critter decided to chew on it or it became corroded.
I had to smile at the bilge screw fiasco, you would think the guy would have noticed something.:facepalm: He is the kind that don't deserve a boat.:eek:

Triton II

Commander

Yah, ss and 5200, no sweat.

Hey Jason, I know you boat on fresh water but I suggest aluminium rivets to plug those screw holes in your aluminium hull to prevent electrolysis. And they're cheaper! At the rate you're going the kitchen is not going to be the only thing you renovate for the missus! :p

TII

dozerII

Admiral

Nice find Jason, I would be keeping the wife busy watching for the cops, cause I'm sure some will report you for grand theft boat.:D That old chrysler might surprise you. Last summer out at the lake an older retired couple on a real tight budget camped next to us in a neat old 66 dodge class A motor home with a 60's I think starcraft class 14 foot runabout with a 40 chrysler on it. He had a heck of a time tring to keep this motor running, so I grabbed my tool box and went down to the dock with him. When I took the cover off, I could not believe it ran at all. One plug wire was rotted off and arching every second fire. When you squezed the primer bulb gas sprayed out of the fuel lines every where. I fixed the plug wire, replaced the fuel lines and it ran great.
Glen

fshngho

Lieutenant

Nice find Jason, I would be keeping the wife busy watching for the cops, cause I'm sure some will report you for grand theft boat.:D That old chrysler might surprise you. Last summer out at the lake an older retired couple on a real tight budget camped next to us in a neat old 66 dodge class A motor home with a 60's I think starcraft class 14 foot runabout with a 40 chrysler on it. He had a heck of a time tring to keep this motor running, so I grabbed my tool box and went down to the dock with him. When I took the cover off, I could not believe it ran at all. One plug wire was rotted off and arching every second fire. When you squezed the primer bulb gas sprayed out of the fuel lines every where. I fixed the plug wire, replaced the fuel lines and it ran great.
Glen

Ooooo, Ooooo See??? I told Ya! Most engines are fine, it's just the external tubing/wiring that goes bad.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks PS, yah man, I love em! They are the best!!!

OK guys, I'll give this Chrysler a fair shake. Once money starts to fly out of my wallet I am hitting the Emergency Brake though!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

3878982415_b6513c9310-1.jpg

attachment.php

You know guys, the more I look at this old Mariner the more I like it. It really strikes me as a very simple/functional fishing boat. Nothing more, nothing less.

I really like the one color scheme, stained wood, straight forward console, clean gunwales/bow deck, no vinyl, no rails, no extra/unnecessary stuff.

Simple. Like it!

I think I may go this route.:)

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Good plan, nice looking boat. Simple & functional.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Lake! I was staring at the rig yesterday and am thinking it should be a great little fishing rig.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Got some work done on the Jet...

Started in the splashwell, had Ryan hanging out with me...
P1040787.jpg

Cleaned out and the trolling board removed...
P1040790.jpg

I did find the mate of that engine coupler in there. The bolts were in there too, bonus!!!
P1040777.jpg

Found a few of these in there, Ryan thought that was super cool. The guy must have been hunting purple dancing unicorns...
P1040788.jpg

Then got into the bilge area...
P1040791.jpg

That was a big mess...
P1040798.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I can see now that those screws punched through the hull were actually used to mount a pair of float switches (one broken, one good). Still very ironic...
P1040799.jpg

Pulled off a bunch of other stuff, rod holders and what not...
P1040795.jpg

Got the windshield off too...
P1040803.jpg

Cheers guys!:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I can picture the previous owner now..."you see that's how you install a bilge pump"...then on the water, "see it's a good thing I got two bilge pumps cause the boat started leaking...that was a close call" :D

The Chrysler looks great on this rig, I'd keep it:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I can picture the previous owner now..."you see that's how you install a bilge pump"...then on the water, "see it's a good thing I got two bilge pumps cause the boat started leaking...that was a close call"

I did this when I saw those mounted...

:confused::facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes:

(that new face palm smile is getting some mileage around here, eh)

The Chrysler looks great on this rig, I'd keep it:)

Well, I think I may do just a few more things to the rig and I'll give that motor a try pretty soon. If she runs I'll leave the rest of the boat as is and fish till next winter. If that motor is toast, I'll pull it off and go ahead with the rebuild.

That is the plan anyway:D

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read that the bow adds structural strength but just kind of dismissed it......For some reason.

I can assure you it adds a BUNCH I'll bet. On my Sea Nymph project I pulled the consoles out, and the trim, and the sides away from the top part of the gunnel to get the wood that was under there out.

The whole front end is pretty flimsy without that all hooked together. I assume the wood will add quite a bit of strength back in though.....Even with the wood up front, and the consoles removed it is noticeably more flimsy.
I'm removing the port side console, and in doing so will need to build the rod box I'm putting on that side so that it adds some structural support to the gunnels, that I lost by removing the console.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great point Lon!

Yah, just cutting the bow out would make for a floppy noodle of a boat. But, I have a plan my friend!

See the photo of that old green Mariner up there ^^^^^. See how there is lots o' aluminum left on the gunwales and a big hunk right at the bow nose? Yah, that should provide lots of structure for the hull. You'll also notice in that photo there is a bench up front there. I'll be adding a casting deck/bench sort of deal that is fastened right to the hull. Once I do that, the hull should be bomber.

Thanks for checking in buddy!

------------------------------------------

So I found myself nosing around over here the other day...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360236

I read through the report and have myself thinking about the four strokes now. Huh.

I wrote 'em off as too expensive and too heavy. There is no doubt I'd be paying for that technology but as I am shopping around I am seeing that the four stroke is sometimes within $500ish of it's two stroke brother. I am also seeing that the four is right around 50 lbs. heavier that the two. Kinda sorta equivalent to an extra 8 gal fuel can. I think I can find that weight savings somewhere else in the boat.

That report is telling me that the four strokes edged out the two on top end speed, and whooped em on noise and fuel economy.

The lower dB's would be great on a little 15 foot boat like I am building here. I think it would be something I could quickly come to appreciate.

It seems like the fuel economy would recoup difference in initial investment in pretty short order too(so long as I get a good deal on the front end).

Hmmmmmmm.....

The hard part will be settling the $$$ thing though, I do have some thick yankee blood.

I am seeing that I can pick up an older 50hp two stroke, no T&T, good shape for $750ish. Add in the T&T and make it a more up to date model and I'm at about $1500 - $2000. Make it a four stroke and it looks like I am sitting at about $2000 - $2500 range.

Ouch.

Yah, maybe I'm not thinking four stroke. Or, T&T for that matter. Old school, tilt it up with manual power may be the way to go for my budget.

Good report anyway:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

The one statistic that I'm impressed by in that report is the total miles you can travel while trolling with the Evinrude etec, it blows the others away by a few hundred miles.:D

One thing I wanted to mention also, you may want to look into adding some type of deck to the rig. The Mariner pictured has no deck and it gets annoying walking on a curved bare hull.

Not sure what you have planned there, but I'm sure you have some ideas.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The one statistic that I'm impressed by in that report is the total miles you can travel while trolling with the Evinrude etec, it blows the others away by a few hundred miles.:D

One thing I wanted to mention also, you may want to look into adding some type of deck to the rig. The Mariner pictured has no deck and it gets annoying walking on a curved bare hull.

Not sure what you have planned there, but I'm sure you have some ideas.:)

Agreed! That kind of additional mileage is totally awesome! I paid $3.16 for gas this morning and I hear it's going higher, rats. Makes a difference you know.

Yah, I'll for sure put down a deck. Flat is what I pulled out of there but I am leaning hard towards the concave like LakeLover and Bannana, super cool!:D

Wrongsyde

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Whew, 8 new OB in a row, makes me drool a little. Then I wipe my chin, remember that my wallet is flat, and back up Bwana Don... the mid to late 60's johnson/rude 40hp Big Twins are hard to beat for durability, simplicity, and economics. I've seen several of them sell recently for under 200 bucks, with compression and complete lower units, and one or two with donor boats and trailers. Parts are readily available... most can be had from your local NAPA, though it's lots cheaper to buy online. They do slurp fuel with gusto, a large part of which they immediately dump back into the lake. =(

I managed to get one running, and keep it there for (most of) a season if you don't count the lil details like taking a dead battery out boating, or not enough fuel, or not running the prop up onto those pretty rocks. If I can do that, you certainly can make one rock. I would highly recommend you don't run it without oil in your fuel (whole other story, don't ask unless you really wanna hear my shameful story!) but the good news is that I found two running powerheads for 50 bucks for both.

Good luck, and don't give up on that Chrysler. Aside from rare parts, and that goofy Chrysler fuel line connector, I've heard good things about them. In any case, try to get it running before you make up your mind. Odds are good that you won't be out more than the cost of an impeller, maybe some points and a carb kit at worst, and those you'll be able to easily recoup if you decide to sell... somehow a motor running smoothly in a tank is worth more than one hangin' out in the grass beside the garage and the words "Da guy I got it from sed it run good before he parked it in the yard in 1986."

Wow. 3rd post on iboats, and almost enough words to start a novel. Sorry, guys, i'll try and be more concise.