Attaching CF# on Inflatables

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a sticky problem with inflatables, tried using rubber glue to the '09 sticker for my inflatable with unsatifactory results, if you have something that works I'de like to know

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Attaching CF# on Inflatables

Try weaverindustries.com as they have a holder that glues onto the fabric.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had the same problem, i ended up useing some black gasket sealer from the car parts store. the stuff i found is flexible, and a little thicker consistincy than rubber cement.

fishinhardwater

Seaman Apprentice

i have a piece of plexi glass with my registration numbers and stickers... i zip tie them to the rub rail line thats on my sea eagle. i have had this piece of plexiglass since 1999 and havent had a problem yet.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i put my renewal sicker on my motor. and painted my numbers on the bow. works great. the water police had not problem.

You put it both side of the motor, and painted the numbers is a good idea.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

The regulations vary in some states, but coastal locations are now requiring that CF numbers be painted or permanently attached (like vinyl stickers) due to Homeland security rules. Attaching a plexiglass holder with zip ties is not considered acceptable. In CA you must have the CF number in a specific location followed by the registration sticker.

"What Are the Regulations for the Vessel Registration Number?
The vessel registration number (CF number) issued by the department must be displayed as follows:

Painted on or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel.
Be in plain vertical block characters of not less than three inches in height.
Be arranged so that it it reads from left to right.
Contrast with the color of the background so that it is distinctly visible and legible.
Have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than "I" or a number other than "1" between the prefix and the number, and the number and the suffix.

If you satisfy these specs your vessel will be legal everywhere.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

same here in oregon, last owner used a black sharpie to put the numbers on, unfortunatly that was in another state. i ended up having to use this funky black tape that sticks to almost anything, cover the marker and put the vinyle numbers on top. i think its vinyle tape or something, they use it at work for marking work areas and aisles, and its a bear to get off after its set for a week.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

If you wanto paint your numbers on the pontoons, use screenprinters ink, it last forever and the only way it comes off is with a gentle rub of thinners and a cloth ......

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Screenprinters ink...good idea. I see a lot of great looking racing inflatables with sharp graphics. Is that one thing they are using - screenprinters ink? I haven't been able to tell if they are using that, vinyl graphics or something else.

D

DJ

I've always seen plexiglass plates with numbers on them. Those plates were affixed to the hull with something considered "permanenent". eg: zip ties to a permanent part of the hull. Mostly, oarlocks or rope grommets.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yep, that is what they are using, as it is light last forever and can be removed easily if needed be ..... vinyl graphics will not stay on there ...

Screenprinters ink...good idea. I see a lot of great looking racing inflatables with sharp graphics. Is that one thing they are using - screenprinters ink? I haven't been able to tell if they are using that, vinyl graphics or something else.

lizcy

Recruit

West Marine has a very nice looking holder that affixes to the hull that holds the CF #'s, I believe it holds the #'s and the registration. If not, there is also a separate holder that will accomodate just the registration tags. Check it out on line. Liz

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boaters World sells a kit that you pay for at the store and then send away for. Your numbers will come back printed on a strip that adheres to the hull and has room for a yearly reg sticker as well as room for one more such as a milfoil sticker needed here in Maine. You have the option of buying one for either a hypalon or PVC boat. They also offer a self stick model which I purchased and am very pleased with.

Neverhome

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I had an issue in Florida coastal waters (in the Lagoon at St. Andrews State Park) for the first time on the 4th of July. I haven't been registering my portable boats (I have a Portabote and an inflatable) that I take camping as they are never used in KY and are only used twice a year. Got pulled over, and what he really wanted to see is some documentation for me and the origins of the boat. I had no ID and my MCO was at home in KY. He wrote me a warning. I think I may start taking a photo ID and a copy of my MCO with me.

Of course, the real problem was I should have known better than to go out on the water on the 4th.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

West marine sells a kit that you pay for at the store or on line and then send away for. Your numbers will come back printed on a strip that adheres to the hull and has room for a yearly sticker I got one for PVC boat and I got some glue called Goop that did not work so I clean it up and sand it and used Oatey X-15 shower pan liner adhesive it is for PVC liner you can get at the plumping supply store or maybe the home depot man it made it look like a factory seem and it was dry in lees than an hour I think it will even work to repair leaks!!