1965 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

Should I be using something other then ply to fix this hull since its below the waterline?

Not sure I understand this statement. You will NOT be using Plywood to be fixing that HOLE!!!! You will be using resin and glass!!! ONLY!!!!! Muliple layers. Once that is done THEN the Plywood Transom will cover it. You will then re drill the Drain hole and reinsert a Brass Drain tube. At least that's how I would do it. I would also be doing some glass work on the outside of the hull in that area as well.

As for your stringers you might want to look into SeaCast or Nidabond.

I'm just sayin...:D

parrisw

Ensign

Should I be using something other then ply to fix this hull since its below the waterline?

Not sure I understand this statement. You will NOT be using Plywood to be fixing that HOLE!!!! You will be using resin and glass!!! ONLY!!!!! Muliple layers. Once that is done THEN the Plywood Transom will cover it. You will then re drill the Drain hole and reinsert a Brass Drain tube. At least that's how I would do it. I would also be doing some glass work on the outside of the hull in that area as well.

As for your stringers you might want to look into SeaCast or Nidabond.

Sorry LOL, mistype!! I meant to say POLY! as in polyurethane resin.

Ahh, that nida or seacast sounds real good! Thinking though, isn't that stuff real expensive? There is alot of area to fill in these stringers.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah it is a bit pricey. Nida is not as bad as seacast. You can figure up your volume and give em a call and they can tell you how much it would be. I'm guessing 2-3 hundred at the most but...
It would NEVER be a problem again AND for another hundred bucks you could even do the transom.

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks guys, what about weight though? These stringers are huge! and would take a ton to fill them.

parrisw

Ensign

What do you think of the real high density 16lb foam in the stringers, they say its very structural.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep,that would be an excellent idea. Less weight but some structural integrity. I say go for it!!!

parrisw

Ensign

Yep,that would be an excellent idea. Less weight but some structural integrity. I say go for it!!!

Ya. Cool, they say the 16lb stuff is very strong, like you need a hammer to dent it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Some innovative and inexpensive transom clamps

PICT00185.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

Did some more work last night and today. Got the tops of the stringers cut off and a small section of the rears since they were not tab'd in very good at the back, and there were some screws going into the back of one of the stringers that I wanted to plug off. I can't believe that amount of dry fiberglass layup in here. I also pressure washed out the hull to get any residual foam bits stuck to the hull out.

Anybody else having problems up loading pics? It keeps telling me that a jpg is an invalid file? I even tried uploading pics that I have already uploaded and says the same thing?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, same problem for me. Not sure what's going on. They'll probably figure it out soon.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, thanks!

So far I can't find any pour in foam locally that is stronger then the 2lb stuff, and its expensive. For the 2cu ft, that US composites sells for $20, it cost $60 here, this is going to kill me if I got to spend that kind of money on everything.

Rob1975

Cadet

Look at it this way Will, you can't buy a boat that cool these days! It will make you appreciate that boat that much more when your cruising around in it next summer. Besides, what else could you be doing instead of this? ;)

parrisw

Ensign

Look at it this way Will, you can't buy a boat that cool these days! It will make you appreciate that boat that much more when your cruising around in it next summer. Besides, what else could you be doing instead of this? ;)

Yes, that's what I was thinking anyway. Just the crazy markup on things gets me!

parrisw

Ensign

Couple of pics finally.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020900.jpg
    P1020900.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020901.jpg
    P1020901.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2

drewpster

Commander

Looks like perfect forms to pour the new structural foam in to. If it were mine, I would consider leaving the tops of the stringers open. Then you could pour the liquid foam in and let it expand. Then just cut the tops off flush and glass over the whole thing to seal it. wallah! new stringers. If you enclose them prior to filling them, you run the risk of leaving voids if you underestimate the expansion of the foam. When you get your foam use some to do some tests to see how much it expands in a narrow trough. Then its it's a simple matter of pouring in just enough to expand to the top. Glass over it, and glass the end, and your done.
You may want to reinforce the sides of the stringers a little temporarily to keep the foam from pushing the sides apart.

I also recommend you get the transom done first before you do the stringers. That way you dont have to cut it around the ends of your stringers at the transom end. Just simply butt joint it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you PM OOPS??

parrisw

Ensign

Looks like perfect forms to pour the new structural foam in to. If it were mine, I would consider leaving the tops of the stringers open. Then you could pour the liquid foam in and let it expand. Then just cut the tops off flush and glass over the whole thing to seal it. wallah! new stringers. If you enclose them prior to filling them, you run the risk of leaving voids if you underestimate the expansion of the foam. When you get your foam use some to do some tests to see how much it expands in a narrow trough. Then its it's a simple matter of pouring in just enough to expand to the top. Glass over it, and glass the end, and your done.
You may want to reinforce the sides of the stringers a little temporarily to keep the foam from pushing the sides apart.

I also recommend you get the transom done first before you do the stringers. That way you dont have to cut it around the ends of your stringers at the transom end. Just simply butt joint it.

Thanks that kinda what I was thinking. I was thinking putting a plywood cap on top of the stringers then I don't have to cut the foam after, but either way will work fine I'm sure. I can't find any of the 16lb density foam locally. I was thinking of putting the transom in after the stringers were done, that way the transom isn't encased by the stringers in case the transom every has to come out again, then you wont have to cut the stringers, but that thought is kinda silly since I don't think I'll ever have to take the transom out ever again?

Did you PM OOPS??

I did, but have not heard back from him.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, just got some supplies today, ended up getting all my fiberglass stuff from a local boat repair place, so they do over the counter sales in bulk, it was a little cheaper then the local supply place.

Question, what's the ratio of MKEP to resin?