1972 Ranger Bass Boat Restoration Project

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Ranger Bass Boat Restoration Project

Isaac- Have you gotten much feedback on the nida bond for your transom. Because I will tell you that I am more than happy with the seacast and how firm it is now in my boat- I definitely made the right decision it's like a rock.
I covered it pretty much too so with pics and such so there should not be to much confusion on how to use it.

Good Luck with your boat- it is sweet looking!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score on the free Ranger and 135 Johnny:D

Great news that she's clean under the cowl and that layout looks great for fishing, good luck on the project:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isaac- Have you gotten much feedback on the nida bond for your transom. Because I will tell you that I am more than happy with the seacast and how firm it is now in my boat- I definitely made the right decision it's like a rock.
I covered it pretty much too so with pics and such so there should not be to much confusion on how to use it.

Good Luck with your boat- it is sweet looking!

Hey Mick,

I have read some other threads that have successfully used the nidabond and loved it. I also called the company today and talked to them, I told them i was restoring a transom that will have a 135hp outboard on it. They told me I could hang a 200hp+ on the nidabond stuff and it would be more than ok. It is supposed to have the same strength that the seacast has. I watched your video's and have seen your pics (great job by the way!) and it is supposed to be very similar to the seacast and it is almost half the price. So i am going to try it out and see what happens, if nothing else i can chalk it up to a learning experience. I am planning on ordering it tomorrow after a little more reading on it tonight.

anyone know of any huge differences between nidabond and seacast? is one better than the other?

sdf4647

Cadet

Hey Mick,

I have read some other threads that have successfully used the nidabond and loved it. I also called the company today and talked to them, I told them i was restoring a transom that will have a 135hp outboard on it. They told me I could hang a 200hp+ on the nidabond stuff and it would be more than ok. It is supposed to have the same strength that the seacast has. I watched your video's and have seen your pics (great job by the way!) and it is supposed to be very similar to the seacast and it is almost half the price. So i am going to try it out and see what happens, if nothing else i can chalk it up to a learning experience. I am planning on ordering it tomorrow after a little more reading on it tonight.

anyone know of any huge differences between nidabond and seacast? is one better than the other?

All this info is GREAT !!! I am getting ramped up to start my project. I'm really Thankful for this Web site.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I don't know anything about nidiabond, but seacast worked great for me. It is really $$$

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Isaac,
As long as you do your research, and you feel good about what you find out- you'll be good to go.
I never heard of nidabond so I never researched it- I do know there were a bunch of guys on here who used seacast and were thrilled with it so that's the route I went.
Don't be afraid to call seacast and "negotiate" a bit. That worked for me:cool: Tell them you plan on going with the other product and see what they can do for you- they worked with me "big time"!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is a good idea! I did not even think of negotiating with them! Seacast would be my first choice but It would be tight to buy it at the price it is. I have a boat budget for this and if i am not careful it will disappear before the boat is done. But i will call them and negotiate with them before i order the nidabond.

sdf4647

Cadet

I was told that we should plan on using a jack plate on this style Hull. Were you planing on doing this?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have not even thought or heard this before? I have a jacker plate i kept off my old boat, and I might use it, I have not decided.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I made a scraper and scraped out all the remaining rot from under the cap. I then cut out all the pieces for the new deck. I am going to fiberglass each individual piece before screwing them down so that it will last a while at least.

I then ripped out the old shotty seats in the boat, so now i will be getting some new ones.

I am going to be painting the top cap of the boat, and was playing around with some color ideas. No i am not going to use the orange, just too bright! I think i am going to do a dark red, and then I am going to do the hull black. Should look good in the end.

anyway here are the pics!
ff.jpg

fff.jpg

DSC_0049-1-1.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just found out the boat is a 76 Ranger...Good to know I guess.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well everyone, I did not make any progress on the boat this weekend. I am hoping to get my very very messy garage clean out today and move the boat in to the it so I can be working on it no matter what the weather is like.

The nidabond should be here sometime this week, and so I am hoping to be doing the transom either sunday or monday. I am really excited to see how it all goes!

I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

cant go wrong with a ranger!

good score on the "freebie"

MORE PICS of the exterior! Looks like a gorgeous design from the avatar pic!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here are the pics of a clean transom! It is coming along! I used a shopvac with 3/4 inch pvc, and it worked great! all of the rot is out!

DSC_0037-3.jpg

DSC_0036-3.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0035-3.jpg

DSC_0033-4.jpg

DSC_0032-4.jpg

sdf4647

Cadet

Are you still planing on pulling the top off and redoin the deck?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you still planing on pulling the top off and redoin the deck?

No, I made a scraper and got all the rotten wood out from under it. The stringers don't even run up into the bow, because it has the casting platform. I have decided to dig up the foam, and replace the stringers, and put in new foam just for peace of mind that everything wood has been replaced.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I picked up another free outboard. 1949 sears 45hp, i was told it runs, we will find out though. could be a fun little project if i can get parts for it somewhere.

DSC_0047-3.jpg

DSC_0048-3.jpg

DSC_0049-3.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well not really a whole lot to report on the boat. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of fiberglass resin, I am going to start wrapping the boards for the deck. I also picked up the paint for the top cap, so I am going to be working on that as well.

The nidabond will be here on monday or tuesday, so I am now shooting for a next weekend transom pour. I have a friend who is going to come over and help me out. It should be fun!

I am excited to get this rolling again, I have been stalemate for about a week on it!

sdf4647

Cadet

Wow !! Thats funny on the color call, for the boat . I'm also painting it red and black, also white. Black for the bottom , Red for the sides, White on top. Once were done well have to race and see who's paint go's faster.(LOL)

sdf4647

Cadet

Ohh Ya ! It matches my Truck for color reasons.