1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Today I also zip tied and moved the rubrail up in the rafters above the garage so I can move the cap over to the other side of the garage to clear up some floor space where I'm working.
100_0520.jpg
[/IMG]

By moving the cap it will give me another 3 feet or so of floor space.
100_0522.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the stand I threw together on the other side of the garage to hold the cap.
100_0521.jpg
[/IMG]

Another pic of the stove that didn't get done today- it made for a good storage space though when I was moving everything around!
100_0524.jpg
[/IMG]

To be continued...
Mick

micks110

Well I went through the roof today starting at 4. I had to remove shingles and all that good stuff to get my flashing for the chimney pipe up. I ended up finishing in the dark- worked alone again today- neighbor was working late. I wanted to get this done though because they are calling for snow again on wednesday.
100_0534.jpg
[/IMG]
I didn't take many pictures because I was rushing around in the dark. I turned the stove around because the pipes matched up better and put in a solid concrete slab in place of the wobbley bricks too. I also line the bottom of the barrel with clay bricks to hopefully add some life to the bottom barrel and to add a little extra residual heat. Here is the end result.
100_0535.jpg
[/IMG]
And then I had fire!
100_0536.jpg
[/IMG]
And then I had smoke, lots of it from the barrels being burned in the first time. I had to open a garage door it was so bad. I figured the first couple burns until the paint and all is burned off that it would be smokey. Even with a garage door open the garage went from 38 to 60 in about 20 minutes so I was very happy- no more long underwear and beenies when I'm working out there!
100_0537.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0538.jpg
[/IMG]
While I was waiting for the fire to burn out with the door open I took tmcalavy's advice and threw a strap on the boat with some supports to prevent it from spreading- thanks for the tip.
100_0540.jpg
[/IMG]
Hopefully after a couple days of smoking the paint and junk off the barrels I will start to get to the boat now that all the construction is done! I have to finish the side supports on the braces, move the top, and move the boat over a little too- so actually I will not get to the boat as fast as I'd like- eventually.
To be continued...
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Biax was a very thick fiberglass matt. I cut a piece of plywood the shape of my transom and covered it with mold release. then wet out the 2 layers of biax leaving any biax that hung over the edge of the plywood dry and let them dry. then I placed the plywood and fiberglass in place and drilled thru them whereever there was a hole in the transom. I then removed the plywood from the biax and wet the edges to the hull let it dry and replaced the plywood, bolted it in with spacers from seacast and poured the seacast. Tucked in 2 layers of mesh tape over the top edge, It got real hot and cured. when it was done I removed the bolts and plywood then took the drain plug out and drilled the new drain. Thats pretty much it. I just flipped my boat using the transom eyes and not a single stress crack.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

sometimes the hardest part of these projects is getting your work area ready for the job!

Good going so far...

jcsercsa

Captain

Man love that heater Good job , cant wait to see this one finished !! John

micks110

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys! Jcsercsa, I to am looking forward to what it will look like when it is done- I just keep imagining it from what it is now!
Now I pretty much have everything ready to go so it is time to dig into the boat and gettr done. Once I'm done with the side supports on the cradle I am going to start cutting out the old floor out and transom out. Sound right???

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sounds good. Get it cradled, take out the old deck and transom...replace the transom, then the deck...then remove the hull strap/bolster and reinstall the cap. Make sure you get the layout for the deck right so you can put it back in and then do all the accessories as needed...in other words, think it through several times, then do it.

jcsercsa

Captain

yep sounds good !! you using poly or epoxy ?? I don't know if you looked for it yet but US Composites .com has the best prices I found !! Ohh wait there a guy in California that night be cheaper shipping for you !! he's on ebay ! John

Ps do you have your wood yet ?? you need to get it drying !!

micks110

I have the wood up in my main garage. I haven't bought the ply for the transom yet because initially I thought about going with seacast, but now I think I am going the ply route because of the cost. Not only that- if it lasted this long why wouldn't it again if I do it right.
I am prob going to be using poly- again because of cost. I will probably be getting everything from my local boat dealer- the owner has been very helpful in answering any question I have had up to this point. I was in the store talking to the owner for about 45 minutes one day- that to me is great service and I think I am going to be paying him back for that.
I can't post any pics right now because my pc got a virus or spyware or something like that on it and it is going to a computer place to get fixed. No matter what I did it was totally messed up.
Yesterday I got the boat leveled on the cradles and my neighbor and I move the cap to the other side of the garage on its stand.
I will post pics as soon as I get the pc straightened up.
Any other advice on what I will be doing next- how to lay the stringers, level them, cut out the transom, cut out the floor, etc. Remember, I'm a noobie at this.
Thanks,
Mick

micks110

One more thing. What kind of blade do you guys use with your grinders to cut out the deck?
Thanks,
Mick
Actually you can see my updated pics on my photobucket. Just moved the cap, leveled the boat on the cradles from front to back, put up so tarps to further minimize the drafts in the garage. That really helped plus the fire is real nice- it was 58 in there all afternoon and night.

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I used a cutoff wheel on an air powered angle grinder. I was able to control the depth very well and had no problem cutting it out

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
This is what I used, Worked great. Got it at HF and loved it. Cuts very close to Hull.
IMG00123.jpg

Have fun. :p
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Wow Bob that looks intimidating. Does it give you a feel of how deep you are cutting?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
It takes some getting use too but with a little time it become easy to control the depth. It also has a max depth which I think it's around 5/8 to 3/4".
I seem to be pushing these things, but I'm not. I just liked it and it keeps on cutting. Glass, wood, no problem. Like I said, it is becoming my favorite tool.
It does have some limits getting into corners.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bon I understand advocating something you like and works great for you. I feel the same way about seacast and I do tend to suggest it quite a bit on here so I know right where you are coming from.

micks110

OK, I got my pc back up and running. I had to reset back to out of the box setting- complete reboot.
Here are the pics from two days ago- moving the cap to the other side of the garage and leveling the boat from front to back on the cradles I made.
100_0545.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0546.jpg
[/IMG]
boat leveled out front to back on the cradles
100_0549.jpg
[/IMG]
Then I threw up some of my tarps to knock down some more of the drafts in the garage.
100_0541.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0542.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0543.jpg
[/IMG]

micks110

Tonight I basically just worked on the cradle of the boat and made the side supports for them. For all of you who envied my garage space- you would have hated making the cradle and side supports in my garage. The uneven, unleveled, unfinished floor was a ***** to make the supports. I only got done with one side of the boat tonight because each support needs to be measured and cut, and recut at a different angle to get it level.
Here is a back support
100_0557.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0555.jpg
[/IMG]
And one side finished. I had to stop because it was 11:30pm and I didn't want to be running the mitre saw anymore to **** the neighbors off.
100_0558.jpg
[/IMG]

OK, some technical questions now.

Is this blade I have on the grinder gonna do the job? Or should I be using something else to cut out the deck?
100_0550.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0554.jpg
[/IMG]

And, do you think the 1.5"X3" vinyl fence rails will work as stringers- I have about 10 of them all 8' long left over from my fence???
100_0560.jpg
[/IMG]
I was thinking of drilling holes in them and filling the with expandable foam possibly in place of pt wood. The stringers in there now measure 1.5"X3" also. Would these glassed over work? Again, I'm a newbie so don't scream at me if this is a totally ridiculous idea- I just figure they would never rot????
I also plan on using poured in expandable foam around the stringers throughout the entire hull of the boat to give the hull more strength and rigidity- if that matters.
Thanks,
Mick

micks110

I have another question. I am going to be running to harbor freight soon to pick up a dual action air sander. I have a 60 gallon compressor so I figured why not. Question is what different grits of sandpaper should I get?
Lastly anything else I would need from there while I am there?
Thanks,
Mick

andgott

Coming right along on this one!

That is one scary looking tool- Looks like it'll work fine, but BE CAREFUL. Watch out for kickback- With no guard on it, It'll do some real damage!

I've worked on floors like that before- it's a real pain to get anything level. Last time I did a major project where I needed to keep the boat level on cradles, We built a base for the cradles from 2 x 4's, much like you'd build a deck, big enough to go under the entire boat. Then, we leveled that as well as we could, using 4 x 4's on the corners. Then we built the cradle on top of that. It was the best way we could think of to keep things as level as possible- Short of all the aggravation and work that you went through!

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
That saw is the same thing I posted earlier but with a guard. They sell them at Harbor freight. Just as said before be careful, kick back will be an issue.
Great progress. Keep it rolling.
Bob