16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Dude Im inspired to build steps now!!! Where did you get the fender from?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I bought them at Attwood?s farm supply, they have a lot of trailer parts. Northern tool also carries something similar to them. I think I gave about $35 for each of them. They are really heavy, a bit big. But I figured a bit big was better than too small!

I'll try to post the trailer tongue fix next.....skibum you want to talk about grinding....and cutting and torching....and grinding.....and cutting......

Friscoboater

Captain

Man you have some mad skills when it comes to welding.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I got a lot of practice welding when I built my dock....I'll try to find some pictures of that....I welded for a couple months on that !

Here are some more welding shots of the trailer. It took me 2 hours and a 6-pack to get the channel iron tongue cut off...it would have NEVER broken off! The way it was set up, it looked like someone was trying to offset a high hitch. Given back as old as the trailer was, I bet it was done back before the drop hitch. Anyhow, I finally got it cut loose (4-1/2" grinder, 8" grinder, torch, and two die grinders), and was planning on replacing it with a tube. After seeing how well it was welded, I figured the two pieces of channel were welded just as well! I decided to reuse the channel, saves buying some expensive tubing. I cut it off and welded it to the boat frame. I also fish plated it at the connection on the sides, should be good to go. After that I added the new jack:D

IMG_2591.jpg

Next was the bow roller / winch bracket....fortunately it was bolted on and came off without too much trouble. Most of it was toast, but I did save the channel the winch and roller mounted too. The "bracket" the roller was mounted too wasn't a very good design....remember the pictures of the glass damage to the bow around the hook??? Hmmm wonder how that happened? lol! I cut off the brackets, made new ones and added the new roller. I welded the assembly to a tube, and added it to the trailer. After only two trips to Ace to buy the correct length bolts I mounted the winch!

bowrollerwinch.jpg

Next was the spare tire carrier, it was actually pretty easy. I mocked up where I wanted the tire (using my high tech blocks), then did some measuring....then a quick CAD drawing. It took about 2 hours after that to cut the parts and get it fabricated.

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

I still have a lot of grinding and dressing to do, but I will do that after it is sandblasted. Glad I put the new heater in the shop, looks like I will need it today!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Nice repair on the trailer. You've been busy. New fenders, steps, new tongue, spare tire rack. Were did you put the privy? :p
Looking good man. I also understand the ply and carpet too, not a bad idea either.
Mine had steel top with teak tread mounted on it. I need to strip them and rebuild. Rusted through. :mad:
Keep the updates coming.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Damn good looking work on the trailer almost makes me want to push the boat outside and pull the trailer in. My trailer is all bolted together but now after seeing yours I think I will cut it all up and weld everything before painting it.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious archbuilder-
Why did you decide to weld the axle to the frame? Wouldn't the ability to adjust it be desirable?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great thread, your work looks great. Let me know when I can drop off my trailer to be over hauled. LOL :eek::eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey boatfliper,

The movable axle is great for a "one size fits all" trailer, which is how a lot of them start out. A lot of the trailers are built without a specfic boat in mind, which makes production cost cheaper. Some boats, like my Sea Ray come with a " custom trailer". It was made specifically for that boat, and allows customization for that boat....steps, welded in place bunks etc....but it cost more to make. Now that I have established what boat will be on the trailer, I wanted to add custom features like the steps. After I added the steps, you couldn't move the axle, so I chose to weld it in place. Fewer bolts to come loose and the first place the trailer would have rusted would be between the angle and the trailer frame. Today I am working on customizing the fenders to fit the boat....I'll post some pictures, but it maybe a couple of days...

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

That makes sense!
Following your thread closely!
-boatflipper

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

83Vert bring it on by....you might have a long drive.....we don't deliver!

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay I finally got the info about my interior guy for you. The name of the company is Superior Interiors. His name is Chris and the phone number at his shop is #405-943-5570. My grandmother bought a new Lincoln a couple of years ago and all you could get was leather interior. Well she hated it and wanted nice pillow top felt interior instead. Another friend of the family got us in contact with Chirs and he removed all the old leather and put in the new felt. It was considered to be done so well, that the dealership she bought it from sent him 20 more cars to redo. He has also done several interiors you see in the Barret Jackson Auctions. Hands down he is the best I have seen, and when I get mine redone he will be the one I look to for help. In Oklahoma there are several places that do interiors, but this is the only one that my family uses.

Keep up the good work on the boat and trailer. You are giving me great ideas for my trailer as well. I have some small steps on mine, but think they need to be much bigger. Since you know how to weld, did you ever think about putting a Bull Dog hitch on your trailer? I was thinking of doing this to mine, but the jury is still out yet.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

They are going to have to start a new section in the forum for all the trailer modifications and rebuilds you are inspiring.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Ski, but I think they have a section for trailers already! I figure the trailer is part of the restoration, right?

Thanks Frog for the upholstery recommendation. Bulldog hitches are great, but maybe a little overkill for something like this boat. Of course no one ever complains about something that didn't break....and a bulldog won't!

Here is part of today?s work...waiting on the pizza so I have to be short! Boat flipper, here is some more of my "customization"....I want the fenders to work as guides. Here is the template that I made.....

IMG_2680.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I thought would post this video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOxL-VtUhM
I figured you guys would get a kick out of it, VERY sweet boat! It might be some inspiration for you toocan......ah I love it when you can hear that tower of power he has....I can almost smell it, NOTHING smells, sounds or runs like a tower!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Let me back up a step from the last picture. I bent a bracket that I would weld to the frame and bolt to a piece of plywood that would from the inside of the fender. I wanted to slope it to act as a guide when loading the boat. Eventually it will be covered with carpet.

IMG_2677.jpg

Next I drilled the bracket and plywood, then bolted it on. With the help of a few clamps, I got it where I wanted it. Once it was in place, I transferred the curve of the fender to the plywood. You can see a pencil line if you look close. Next I cut out the plywood on the band saw.

IMG_2676.jpg

Right after that is when I took the shot I posted earlier. With the plywood back on the trailer, I made a template out of chip board (cardboard) that followed the edge of the plywood. David K was nice enough to loan me a very cool tool that I don't have.....need to get one of these for Christmas! Plasma cutter.....

IMG_2683.jpg

Next I made a masonite template from the chipboard template. The masonite template guides the edge of the torch, so you end up with the shape you want. Here is the template clamped to the sheet metal....

IMG_2684.jpg

This was my first time to use a plasma, very easy. I got one little hiccup in the middle....but there is going to be a lot of welding and bondo that will fix that later.

IMG_2685.jpg

Here it is tack welded in place. I need to add some tabs to the fender where the plywood will bolt to it today.....then build the one on the other side!

IMG_2691.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

by the way, does anyone have any suggestions on a ladder? Some how I need to come up with on, but everything I have looked at is too big.

Friscoboater

Captain

Now that is what I am talking about. Nice work

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

What are you going to use for the tops of the steps, on mine, they used flat stock steel plate and then put diamond plate in areas were you typically step, really looks sharp, also, I have that guide set up built into the fender and they work awesome.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm going with the plywood and carpet, two reasons. First, my Sea Ray has the diamond plate (painted steel) and I have busted my you know what on it more than once! Second, the lake I go to is real sandy, and the carpet works good for a "door mat". I do like the clean lines of the diamond plate......just thought I would go with the carpet and see how much sand I can keep out of the boat! If I don't like it I can always add the diamond plate later.