18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I had heard that the original family took the company back.

Yep. The Starcraft dealer at the Tampa boat show last weekend told me that the original family bought the company back several years ago.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude!

Awesome boat... Cant wait to watch the progress...

The lake you were on in the video looks incredible! How long is it?

I sure hope I can at lest get my Hurricane in the water before it turns to ice. It's been raining for 2 flippin weeks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The lake you were on in the video looks incredible! How long is it?

Thank bear. The "lake" is called Lake Clarke but it's actually a dammed section of the Susquehanna river. It's about 7 miles of deep navigable area. I also boat on Lake Conowingo which is a further south dammed section of the same river. That one is over 20 miles long of deep water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is my seats came (way early,thanks iboats!) and they are GORGEOUS. Much higher quality than what I had put in the Jupiter (they cost twice as much so they certainly should be). The bad news is, they don't fit. I kinda failed to really measure anything before I ordered them. There just isn't room for the loungers and the jump seats. I was thinking of just returning the jump seats but my wife did not like the idea of not having any seating in the stern. She thought that would look dumb. So I think I'm going to exchange the loungers for 2 bucket seats. They have buckets available in the same pattern and they look to be super nice.

Here's my situation:
DSCF2195.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

I LOVE these jump seats so I'm going to keep them:
DSCF2197.jpg

Here's one of the pedestal fishing seats:
DSCF2199.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

ok its been 14 days since your last post, is the restoration on the new Starcraft done yet??? :)

OOOPS Im editing this post....I didnt realize you HAD 2 MORE PAGES of THREAD past the first page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotflmao

man I am A.D.D.

that interior looks super nice, are the seats soft and comfy?
Cool videos! pretty scenery!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Jeremy
I heard you ripped out all the flooring in the New SS

found this pic of a similar starcraft, thought it had a cool paint combo that could go with those seats.........
DSC04591.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool pic vegas. That light gray is pretty much what I'm going with. In place of the darker gray I'm going with a bold blue. Planning on using Petit EasyPoxy in "Mist Gray" and "Ocean Blue" see here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/images/Multi/Pettit/large/1329s.jpg

I have started removing the deck. Found nice, easy to remove, sheet foam underneath. I've also removed the gas tank and found it had about 5 gallons in it. Guess I'll have to find a way to get rid of that. I'm probably get the rest of the deck and the consoles out tonight. I'll post pics tomorrow.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

EZ... those jump seats could still be converted to your original idea of a fishing conversion......

ez1.jpg

Notice "Bassin Mode" is very useful for all sorts of things! ;)

ez2b.jpg

Vegas..........

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Vegas, AWESOME job on the photoshop. That is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Excellent spot for livewell/cooler/dry storage in those boxes...EZ you're gonna have a brand new-looking rig if you go that route:D

I'm just glad you're paving the way for me while you're at it LOL:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Some progress made tonight.....got the whole deck ripped out. Obviously I have the consoles, gas tank, and bow area removed as well. I was pleased to not run into anything unexpected. No poured foam or anything like that. The white styrofoam isn't even that wet. It will still be removed though. Here's the pics:

DSCF2223.jpg

DSCF2222.jpg

DSCF2221.jpg

DSCF2224.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

DSCF2225.jpg

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

EZ, looking forward to this build. Just inherited my wife's Grandfather's 1972 SS 18'. We know that it is going to require a complete resto, but hopefully with the help of this thread we'll have it on the water next year as well. Best of luck. Bill

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds NICE Bill! Make sure you get down to the Starcraft section of this forum. Tons of us there and we want to see some pics of your boat!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

EZ, looking forward to this build. Just inherited my wife's Grandfather's 1972 SS 18'. We know that it is going to require a complete resto, but hopefully with the help of this thread we'll have it on the water next year as well. Best of luck. Bill

Welcome Aboard Bill..

Lets get you a thread or at the VERY LEAST post a few pics in the "Show us Your Starcraft" thread in the Starcraft forum

Heres the starcraft forum

http://forums.iboats.com/Starcraft_Boats

EZ..What ya waiting for..lol...
Boat looks like hell...But right now that is what we idiots call PROGRESS!!!

North Beach

Commander

Yeehaa! Now we're gettin somewhere!!!! Can't wait to see how this one turns out EZ.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks NB. Also, I forgot to add, the existing deck was actually in pretty good condition. The only rot was in the rear-most sheet. And the previous "restorer" did a pretty good shop of cutting and fitting it so the old pieces will serve well as templates. This will make things much easier.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dang somebody was busy last night :D Sorry I missed it I was out on an install didnt get home till a little after 11. Looking good EZ now to make the garbage men happy with 20 bags of wet foam :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like some progress there EZ glad to hear you've got yourself a good template to work from...feel free to trim it down to 16' and send it my way when you're done with it:p

Why is it that the aft deck always rots first? I thought it may be due to spilled gasoline/oil breaking the seal on the ply but you're SS doesn't have external tanks that would be prone to that.

Were the consoles difficult to remove? Probably just had to drill out some rivets I'd imagine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would imagine the reason for the rot near my stern was probably just from stuff laying on the floor back there and under the splash well. Who knows how long this boat sat out uncovered before I got it. My consoles were very easy to remove because this boat has been redone before. I didn't have to drill out any rivets at all, just removed a bunch of stainless screws. However, there aren't too many points of attachment so you aren't looking at much work there.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like things are moving forward. Wish my floors came out in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.