Exterior hull delamination, easy fix?

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class
The hull had a small damage spot that was poorly repaired by the previous owner which is where the delamination started. I guess I hit a crosswake too hard and it popped a decent section of gelcoat off the hull. What is the best way to fix this? It's bone dry under the gelcoat and it didn't leak any water as I was out all day before I noticed the damage.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTItMjAwOTA2MDctMTQyM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTMtMjAwOTA2MDctMTQyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTQtMjAwOTA2MDctMTQyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTUtMjAwOTA2MDctMTQyN.jpg

any help would be great, thanks!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Exterior hull delamination, easy fix?

That did not leak?!? That looks like more than a hard wake hit to me. If it is there is something serious under there to make it so weak to do that. Wow! Im not sure the best way to fix t his but someone will SURE to chime in on this one! Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That certainly does not look good.

Please resize your pictures to 640 x 480 for the forum so they accomodate the members who do not have high speed connections.

Is there a stringer behind that break? Is the foam soaked in the boat. It absolutely looks like a hard hit on a log or someone backed into the boat while it was being trailered.

Is it repairable - Yes. Will it be a big job? Maybe

I will gladly yield and hope that Yacht Dr pipes in. He does repairs for a living.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, resized the pics.

I never felt any hard hits other than that one cross wake and there was nothing in the water then, def. not a hit on the trailer, it only goes a block from our house to our private launch on the trailer.

I don't know how it looks inside as I haven't pulled the floor up at all. It feels very solid under the damage, I just though the wave made that old repair (which looks like the PO used Bondo) pop and that pulled the rest up.

So do I have to pull the floor up and pull all the foam out? I was really hoping to avoid that, but I'll do it if need be...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello akorcovelos ..

What you have there is a "hard built in" bulkhead m8 ( a bulkhead that was touching the hull in construction ) ..or a bulkhead that lost its tabbing to the hull and BAM hit hard.

There is no real ez fix for this.. Its a Big repair akorcovelos..

Only two ways to fix this ..

1.Get yourself a pro to do it.

2. DIY .. HOWEVER.. Understand that your gonna have to do inside and outside layups.. that means get access to the repair from the INSIDE first.. ( your gonna have to cut and scab some of that bulkhead to repair it proper ).

The pic with your fingers lifting the skin has too much mat fibers loose.. kinda looks like its been frozen one too many times.

This kind of glass repair is one of the hardest to do m8..

IF you want to.. start with getting a 4.5" grinder with 24 grit and grind outside till you get all the dead glass off. ( dont grind the last layer ) go inside and grind till you get your repair area prepped..

Im sorry..I have to stop here.. I can see you have neighbors close by .. so If you like more info.. Ill ask Bob m8.

Like I said..bulkhead damaged repairs are.. complicated ..

YD.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I consulted with a professional and he looked at the pictures. I do not feel comfortable with any of our advice without seeing the problem face to face.

What I would suggest is what Yacht Dr said "1.Get yourself a pro to do it." or at least take an honest look at it.

There are some warning signs is the pictures that even a pro would have to examine more.

I can tell you regardless of who does the repair..... the cap is going to need to be removed.

I'm not so sure the previous owned was too honest without telling you about it.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick responses! Wish it was better news though...:(

I'm assuming the repairs at a pro shop would run big bucks, and I'm not looking to get into a huge project (already have enough). Looks like I'll be looking for another hull. My Johnson 150 is in perfect running condition so I'll try and find a hull to put it on.

Any suggestion where to look for hulls in northern IL, southern WI area?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well don't throw in the towel until you have checked with a pro local to you.

I would look at Craigslist, ebay and the local dealers. Many might have an older hull stashed that they do not want to invest money for a motor on.

redfury

Commander

Anything can be repaired, but the quality of the repair is the question.

Unless you are absolutely in love with the boat, I'm sure you can find another hull with some searching and some patience....the second part being the harder part. Start looking now. Are you looking for something in particular for a different hull? Perhaps some of us with some idle time can keep a look out for you in our spare time....you never know ;)

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to take it in for an estimate, but I already know it will be more than I want to spend on this hull, it has other issues. The PO screwed the carpet down, and while doing so he screwed right through to the outside of the hull, so there is about 8 screws poking through the bottom that need to be fixed also.

I am looking for a sound 18'+ hull that can take an '89 Johnny 150. I don;t even care if it has an interior since I just spent like $400 redoing the interior in the one I have now.

Thanks for all the help gang, I'll keep this thread updated as I figure out what os going to happen.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's too bad boats don't have the same damage disclosure requirements that automobiles do. This is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Whomever hid this damage with a crapola repair then passed it off as sellable is a complete butt. And worse.

erikgreen

Captain

To me, it looks less like serious damage and more like a patch of hull starved for resin. Maybe it was repaired in the past?

In any case, if the PO put screws out through the hull bottom, figure on other stupid stuff happening to the rest of the hull, and don't spend money on it unless you love it or it's got historic value. Plenty of boats out there at the moment.

Erik

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, no attachment to this boat so I'm looking for another hull. It sucks because I only got to go out on this boat 3 times before this happened, and I just spent like $300-400 bucks and 2 weeks refiHopefully I can find a cheap, sound hull that needs a motor and interior, lol.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello again akorcovelos..

Is there anyway to get to the INSIDE where that damage is ?

Look for that bulkhead in that location on the inside..Find that spot..take some pics .. just for giggles..

I know its more then an outside repair... however..there are "tricks to the trade " that are possible..but without seeing it from the inside .. I wouldnt be able to comment ;)

YD.

jonesg

Admiral

yotdoc is right, if you're gonna junk it anyway, ?

get the sawzall out and take a looksee.
I bet the hull twisted and it popped.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're both masochists!

Let the guy find another hull, THEN take the chainsaw to this heap. :)

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll have some free time starting Friday, I'll pull the floor up and see if I can get some pics of the inside, couldn't hurt right? :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The difficult part of that type of repair can be getting to it from the inside, after that it's normally a pretty straight forward job.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I got a quote today, $3264.00. OUCH. So I'm going to try and get the floor up to take a look inside and give all you experts the pics so you can tell me how stupid hard it will be to fix. :)