66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 66 Starcraft Sunchief Re-Build

SS-LOL:D

Chris (Kurt)-You crack me up!!!

Matt- No big deal. Like I said, the set up was the bulk of the cost and I got a buddy deal on the powdercoating. So I went for it and had four sets made. I knew someone else would want a set. Now-Post Some Pics!

We got a little down time on the project for now. Tuesday she goes to the mechanic to spend a couple days getting the outdrive re-built. BTW-I picked up a brand new, still in the box 1966 gear casing (lower end) for my outdrive from a guy in Cali for 109.00 shipped!!!!!!! I didn't need it but I couldn't pass on the deal.

My neighbor the cabinet maker just started on all the mahogony stuff.

We're scheduled at my other neighbor the autobody guy to have him shoot the topside on the 20th. I'm not even going to try and shoot the top. We're gonna use the last two cans of Easypoxy Kelly Green and Gloss White so it will all match.

In the meantime, I did manage to get the vinyl rub rail inserts installed on the side bumpers using a cotter key extractor last night. Now I have to work in DC for a couple of days and she'll just have to set:(

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

NB..Its a boaters nursery rhyme..

You have a powdercoating baker

a cabinet maker...

and a car paint sprayer!

North Beach

Commander

HaHa! Yeah I'm running all over the neighborhood scheduling poor unspecting neighbors to help with the project:eek:

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NB now its time to order more paint and paint the tow vehicle in the same color scheme. Heck you got a painter neighbor !

North Beach

Commander

AP that's too funny. I saw those too:D
No progress today. Did an 18 hour shift in DC and just got in:(

Robert E

Recruit

I can not wait to see finished boat. You are doing an excellant job... Got cought up in the build an spent 2 hours reading what you had done thus far. Again great job.

North Beach

Commander

Thanks Robert.

I did manage to get the side rub rail inserts with end caps and the spankin new Starcraft emblems installed. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow when I pull her out into the sunlight.

The boat is off to the mechanic to have the re-built outdrive re-installed tomorrow. Soon as it gets back (2 days or so) I'm gonna go crazy on it again. I'm ready to get this boat back together but a bunch has to wait till the topside gets painted on the 20th.

I shared this over on the starcraft forum but just wanted to mention it here. I picked this up today. Wonder what we'll do with it????
Holiday2.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

HAy North Beach , Have you checked the bearings on the trailor , If your waiting for parts !!! Just a thought !!! I really should be getting to primering tomorrow on mine !!!

What the heck do you do if you spent 18 hours in DC ?? That makes for a really long day !!!! John

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I shared this over on the starcraft forum but just wanted to mention it here. I picked this up today. Wonder what we'll do with it????

ROFLOL....And a somersault and then ROFLOL some more... I told you so..

Give it some oxygen, it's turnin blue !!!

North Beach

Commander

JC, after all the prep I'm sure you're about chompin at the bit to sling paint:D

SS-we're thinking down and dirty center console for saltwater!

Here's a couple shots of some of the trim back on. I also had an episode back when I was cleaning the hull on the way to the car wash. I left the locks loose and at 60 the front hatch blew up and bent the hinges and the lid where the support bars fasten. So today before trailering it over to the mechanic I drilled out the rivets and removed the hatch for some minor tweeking before the topside paint.

Feels weird without the boat in the garage:confused:

Badged1.jpg

Badged2.jpg

BTW, this was the maiden voyage on the newer trailer and it sure does ride better!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Saltwater, yeah... sounds good to me! Hey, both the boats look GREAT. Good thing you have all that lumber because you need to add on to the boatel now.

FYI, I ran the reciepts that I had kept on mine and when I slid past 10,000.00 I stopped, threw them all in a box and stuffed it away for warranty purposes. On the outside it say's "Therapist bills". If I could only figure a way to convince the IRS of that!

Did I forget to mention that I slid way past that number. Oh well.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude,

That paint color combo is flippin incredible! Looks so classic...

My uncle had an old Starcraft, not sure of the year? I must say if I ever restored an older boat, I would love one like this! Fabulous, flippin Fabulous!
I cannot wait to see her finished!

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

North Beach Starcraft fleet.....

Next you you will be looking at popup campers !:eek:

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

North Beach - That boat is looking SWEEEET!:D

But seriously, I live in VA and I check craigslist & ebay daily, but I never run across the old large Starcrafts...probably because you're buying 'em all.:rolleyes:

Keep up the good work - BOB

North Beach

Commander

Bob, I bought the second one in IL. I use a program on mozilla called crazedlist and search Graigslist by region. I just happen to be going by the town where I found #2 next month and the danged thing was on eBay with a 300 dollar buy it now. Plus it looks like the wood and foam are probably mush:eek:

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

After I wrote that I went and read your other post. Are you still going to pilfer #2 for parts? I like your d&d saltwater center console idea! You could take the parts off, plug the outdrive hole, slap on an outboard & hit the Bay!:D

I use mozilla firefox, can you tell me how to find that crazedlist program?

BOB

North Beach

Commander

Go to the search box and type in crazed list and click on the link for craigslist.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SS-we're thinking down and dirty center console for saltwater.

Ha! I knew it! You pulled the trigger on Starcraft #2, that's awesome. Now your wife will be telling the neighbors that you've got TWO gals on the side. You sly dog, you.

Hey, those emblems look familiar. Where have I seen them before? Oh, that's right - in the ever-growing pile of goodies for my boat.

The Sunchief is looking gorgeous, NB.

Status
Not open for further replies.