Replacing Bayliner Capri stringers/deck with pix

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Hey guys...about a month ago I purchased an 1985 19' Bayliner Capri cuddy cabin (w/ 3.0L OMC). The previous owner said he neglected to remove the bilge plug over the winter, so that along with a beatup cover and being left outside meant that quite a bit of wood had been wet or had started rotting.

He had already cut out a few pieces above the fuel tank (I'd imagine one would want to keep their sawzall away from the hull AND the fuel tank ;)) and set in a few pieces of treated plywood.

The wood near the engine that supports the rear seats had rotted and broke, and thus anyone stepping on what was left of the seat to get in would fall through...I added a 2x4 for each seat.

A concern that I have is in the cabin. The place where I think you would set a porta potty is rotted out to the hull. I've cut out a piece of treated plywood again to set there. Is there supposed to be foam under there? There isn't.

My biggest concern though is the area up near the bow, in the cabin, that's underneath the big cushion. I saw some of the fiberglas peeling so I took it off and found the wood underneath to be SOAKED. I sawzall-ed a small hole in it and found the foam was also soaked. I dug out the foam in my hole down to the hull and was actually able to vacuum out a pool of water in there. So, for about the past two weeks, I've had a dehumidifier running in there almost 24/7 for the past like two weeks with the cabin closed to dry it up. I've got the bilge dry and have dried out the rest by leaving the cover off and the boat outside in the sun when possible. I can tell that the wood and the foam is a lot dryer than it was but its still pretty wet in the bottom half of the foam. I've had the boat stored inside so there hasn't been any potential rain getting in and I've only had the boat in water for a few hours.

Could water be leaking in from the anchor/winch hook? I'll make sure that it's tight...when I finally get this dried out how should I go about fixing it? Do I have to fiberglas over it, along with the plywood over the gas tank and my repairs under the seats? I'm pretty good working on things but I'm new to boats...thanks.

Last edited:

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Soaked underneath floor (Bayliner cuddy)

Hey Buddy, first and foremost, welcome to Iboats! You will find alot of knowledge here! Read through the restoration area of the forum, and you will find MANY people here who have started as you have and wanted to fix it, only to give in a rip up the entire deck, tear out the stingers and pull the transom wood. Why? Because when boat builders built boats originally they have one thing on there mind. SAVE MONEY! Alot of times this involves below standard methods of building just to get boats out the door and to make a profit. One thing that you need to be aware of is that no matter what, once you have wood that is wet, there will be rot, and rot spreads like wild fire. It can spread under fiberglass and literally turn your stingers into mush. To do this job right, you will need to get out ALL of the wet wood as well as tear out ALL and I do mean ALL of that foam. Once you have done that you can begin cheking the transom wood for moisture by drilling test holes and inspecting the saw dust that comes out to see if it is moist. Chances are that it is and probably started to rot. I was told the same thing that I am going to tell you, this job is one that you cannot take shortcuts on and it last. Shortcuts will only create more headache in the long run, do it right the first time. All of us here on the forum are here to help!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Thanks for the encouragement...

the good thing is, before I bought this, I talked with my buddy that's a bit into boats about it. He stressed that I make sure the stringers aren't rotten because he's heard of boat hulls imploding on themselves...being that that's a rather nasty thought I pulled up the plywood panels and found the stringers to pass the poke-with-a-knife test. Aside from the wood underneath the rear seats the transom area is fine and dry.

EDIT: I'm not wanting to come off like a smart-azz and know it all, because I'm not, but I think my boat is in better shape than figured

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

The stringers and wood under there might be OK, but you might want to tear the deck off to ensure it is good in other areas. You will more than likely find a lot of wet foam, and as a lot of us found out, it wil not dry out. pigrge has a lot of good advice in his post.

You might also find more items that will require attention like rotted fuel hose, holes in the fuel tank, etc. A 23 year old boat might look good on the surface, but it had a lot of time in the unseen areas to deteriorate.

I thought my '86 was in good shape too..... until I ripped into it. It is a fact of life with boats .​

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like it was more neglected than the previous owner was letting on. Keep on removing the floor and inspecting until you determine the extent of the water damage. Then browse shareaproject.com for some boat projects so you have a good idea of what is ahead of you. Especially check out "project long haul". Its a Capri rebuild that will interest you.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

To be quite honest with you, my boat passed the knife test as well. But when I started to yank the wood out, after much distress, I found EVERY piece wet. Rot had only started in a small portion of the port side stringer, but it was on its way to the rest of it. Also, the transom will most likely be good towards the top, but you will want to check it around the bottom as well. IF you are positive and set that you are okay, and the there are only isolated areas of wet wood, then go ahead and cut that wood out. Cut it back until you are ABOSOLUTELY certain that you are not still cutting into wet woodand sister new pieces in. I used peanut butter when putting my wood in, and I am sure that either peanut butter or PL Construction Adhesive will work for you. Once cured, you will need to seal it back with either just Resin (Epoxy or polysester) I prefer Epoxy, more expensive, but MAN is the stuff good, and I would suggest covering it will cloth (matt as well if you are using polyester). But before we get into that far, start by getting all the wet stuff that you can find out of there. As FixB52s suggested, I would do the same and tear out the deck at least and get all that wet foam out. Foam is there only to rot the stringers, as a very smart one on here once said!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Thanks for the input guys. Next week I will pull up some more floor and see what's down there.

I don't know how "possible" it is but I think my aggressive dehumidifying routine (lol) has been paying off. I didn't cut out the hole I made any more in the cabin but I pulled out some more foam it's dry (at least in the cabin).

Does my Bayliner have structural foam? I've searched this site a bit on this topic and thought I'd ask.

My transom, or so the rear of the boat and engine compartment feels solid up and down, so I think I'm good there.

BTW I did find that my winch hook on the bow was loose and so I put some RTV around it and tightened it up. After close inspection the spot on the bow where it rests on the "rubber grooved wheel" seems to be pretty thin and possibly letting water in...its got RTV on it at the moment but I'll search the site on how to go about such a repair

Thanks again guys...do appreciate all the comments

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi f14.....and again....welcome to i boats :)

pigrge has got you on the right track.......

however......i dont wanna seem negitive....i own a bayliner too....

the de-humidifyer is not working and wont ever work....you are waisting your time......
and no i dont beleive its coming in from the anchor well....your foam is wet.

(if this sounds harsh...its not meant to be)

really....you can dry the foam out all you want...(ittl take years) and if you do get it all dryed out....the second water hits it....it will be totally soaked again....that means even if you do get dryed out... after one or two days on the water...it will be soaked again. gaurenteed

if you want to fix the boat....fix it......your trying to take a short cut...and unfortunately it wont work......the foam ...(all of it ) must come out....that means the decks must come out.....after that it will be easy to take all the foam out......(the wet foam is weighing you down a ton)

when you get in there i think youll find the foam stringers are wet too....
in bayliners....they just used foam for a shape to glass to....the stregnth in the stringers is actually from the fiberglass shape.
(they are easily fixed)....but you gotta cut the top off them and dig out all the wet foam.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news....but im just trying to save you doing a lot of work and headache for nothing.......

its not really that hard....just time consuming.......most of us here have been in your posisition and tryed exactally what you are doing now...;) only to find out we waisted a year when we could have fixed it and been done with it....

a buddie of ours here just got his boat on the water.....
pay special attention to the last post in big red letters....about weither or not it was worth it. (last page)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231007

we are all here to help you with it...and walk you step by step thru it,,,,any time you get stuck.....an answer is just minits away......

all my best...and good luck

cheers
oops

salty87

Commander

it's like the 7 phases of denial/hope or something, we've all been there

1 the foam will dry out, just a weak spot
2 the stringers are ok, i'll just replace the deck
3 i'll cut the tops off the stringers and fill them in
4 the transom just needs to be patched, its ok
5 i don't have to pull the engine, i can work around it
6 i won't have to pull the rub rail and split the top off, plenty of room
7 i'll just need a 12 pack for the weekend...that's just crazy

can't win em all

F14CRAZY

Ensign

maybe I should have bought an aluminum boat...

anyway I am serious about pulling up some floor and tearing out foam and checking out things under there. Seriously though, after a while on Little Traverse Bay I had a pool in the cabin right behind the anchor hook...I definitely need to get a tube of silicon and do some sealing on the inside and outside of the vessel

F14CRAZY

Ensign

In the meantime I have been searching some posts and projects on shareaproject.com...I definitely can understand the situation with rotting strings and soaked foam

D

DJ

There are plenty of completed projects here on iboats too. Look at the topic below this one.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

There are plenty of completed projects here on iboats too. Look at the topic below this one.

tho the compleated projects forum is just new.....there is some really good strff there.......really good tips and tricks.....

the hull ext has good views on what youll run in to.....

if i were you.....when your ready to do the restore......just rip out the deck and get atter.......i saw a 17 footer...(no cuddy)....foam and deck done in a weekend

jcsercsa

Captain

hi f14.....and again....welcome to i boats :)

pigrge has got you on the right track.......

however......i dont wanna seem negitive....i own a bayliner too....

the de-humidifyer is not working and wont ever work....you are waisting your time......
and no i dont beleive its coming in from the anchor well....your foam is wet.

(if this sounds harsh...its not meant to be)

really....you can dry the foam out all you want...(ittl take years) and if you do get it all dryed out....the second water hits it....it will be totally soaked again....that means even if you do get dryed out... after one or two days on the water...it will be soaked again. gaurenteed

if you want to fix the boat....fix it......your trying to take a short cut...and unfortunately it wont work......the foam ...(all of it ) must come out....that means the decks must come out.....after that it will be easy to take all the foam out......(the wet foam is weighing you down a ton)

when you get in there i think youll find the foam stringers are wet too....
in bayliners....they just used foam for a shape to glass to....the stregnth in the stringers is actually from the fiberglass shape.
(they are easily fixed)....but you gotta cut the top off them and dig out all the wet foam.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news....but im just trying to save you doing a lot of work and headache for nothing.......

its not really that hard....just time consuming.......most of us here have been in your posisition and tryed exactally what you are doing now...;) only to find out we waisted a year when we could have fixed it and been done with it....

a buddie of ours here just got his boat on the water.....
pay special attention to the last post in big red letters....about weither or not it was worth it. (last page)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231007

we are all here to help you with it...and walk you step by step thru it,,,,any time you get stuck.....an answer is just minits away......

all my best...and good luck

cheers
oops

Frist Hi and Welcome , sorry I didnt get here soonier, But i am the one oops is talking about in this post !!![ just got mine out of the garage this week , and in the water , man what a feeling ] thanks Buddie !!!!!
Man its a lot of work but is it ever work but is it ever worth it !! I was the same when i started thought i could just get by with doing the stringers , I got pocking around one night when I had it all most ready for the stringers and found rott in the transom as well !! man that really stunk !!! but am i ever glad i did do it all !! she handles so much better it not even funny and she comes out on plane so much better .... no if you are really sure the transom is great then just go for the rest !! but if there is any dought in it I reall would change it out !! Its really not that much more , just break the top off and go at it !! I know it really does give me a better piece of mind when i am out there with my kids !!!

salty87 is so right that are the 7 forms !!! hahaha so we are all here to help in any way we can !!! just post it here and we will get back with yea asap , or pm any one of us !!

These guys here are the greatest they walked me threw it all and with out them i wouldnt be out on the water now, [ well not right now , but after work tomorrow ] hahaha

so again welcome !!!! john

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Again thanks guys. I decided to pull up the floor in the cabin...indeed the foam was wet underneath (not soaked, but pretty moist). I figured out my dehumidifier would never have been able to dry it out under there anyway. I've been searching old threads and reading up on floor replacement and all.

I've read, and believe, that my particular Bayliner has stringers that are encapsulated in fiberglass and are otherwise "impervious" to moisture :cool:. This fall I'll at least take a layer off and see how they are but I am serious about going ahead and replacing all of the floor and its supports.

zach103

Commander

check them.. jserbs are the same way and he found out that his are rotted.. so check them

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I picked up the "West System" manual from West Marine and I get the general idea of going about replacing the stringers and flooring.

For the flooring itself and its supports, what kind of plywood should I use? I've heard of marine plywood but like can I go to Lowes/Home Depot and use plywood there? I understand I want plywood, not OSB/"chipboard". I guess my floor is 3/4'', haven't measured yet. Should I get treated stuff or bare stuff? I've also seen different woods...does it matter?

Will I want to fiberglass all surfaces of the plywood, both the top and bottom sides of the floor? How about the supports? I plan on installing new carpet afterward.

And um, if I indeed do need stringers, are they just common 2x4 studs?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

heh my bad, are the stringers 2x4s or plywood? I guess I'll find out though.

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Re: Replacing Bayliner cuddy flooring

Re: Replacing Bayliner cuddy flooring

And one more question, for now...is it okay having the boat sit on the trailer while doing work on the floor or do I have to support it with those little stands?