hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
this thread contains excellent information on all aspects of fibreglass boat building.....if you are thinking of a rebuilding project of any kind ...this thread can help you......while i highly suggest that you read the whole thread....(at this time some 93 ish pages and 2200 plus posts) our fellow i boaters have suggested an "index" for fast reference of procedures and materials.

even though this thread may look like an "advanced" thread.....i assure you, a person that has never even seen raw fibreglass or resin will be able to understand and comprehend if you read this whole thread.

if you have any questions regarding techniques or procedures......please feel free to hit reply and quote the post number....

cheers
oops

INDEX
THIS INDEX ASSUMES YOU HAVE NOT CHANGED YOUR DEFAULT SETTINGS IN THE "NUMBER OF POSTS PER PAGE"

crane and cradle construction.......post #1 page #1
easy transom removal with link....post #4 page #1
mold and mold relase agent.....post #6
gellcoating the mold.......post #31 page #2
fiberglassing and biax cloth.....post #48....page 2
mold reinforcement and bracing....post #53 page 2
ruff and scuff....post #53 page 3
peanut butter....posts #55, 81
important fiberglass information....(all thru the thread)...posts #55 thru 91 ish
safety equipment........ post #80 page 4
transom construction........ post #140 page 6
wetting out wood .........post #164 page 7
transom installation post #164, 165 page 7, post #203 page 9
building stringers...post and scribe method.......post #188 page 8 post 262 page 11.
transom tabbing.....post #206 page 9
lap joint.....post #260 page 11
stringer installation....post #284, 284 page 11 post #327 pg 14, post 328 pg 14.
stringer height ....post #328 pg 14
building a motor cage.....post #341 pg 14
wet out table....post #370 pg 16
building a deck...(floor) ....post #382 pg 16,
glassing and wrapping stringers.....post # 402 pg 17 thru post #547 pg 22
what is 1708 bi ax?.....post #514 page 21.
underside of deck glassing...post #546 pg 22
stringer frames....post #547 pg 22
extending the cap...posts #560 pg 23, post 648 pg 26 thru post # 694 pg 28
snapping turtles first post ......post #658....pg 27
flipping the hull.....post #697 page 28 thru post #701 page 29
fairing the hull....posts # 736 pg 30 thru 1128 pg 47
reinforcing a keel posts #737 pg 30
why did i do it ?....post #774 pg 31.
gellcoating a hull......posts 1128 pg 47, post #1185 thru #1190 pg 48
re fairing the hull with gellcoat...post #1241 pg 50 thru
why the re fair of the gellcoat?.....post #1291 pg 52
finishing sanding on gellcoat ......posts #1354 pg 54 thru 1482 pg 60
a typical gell coat repair....post # 1409, 1410 pg 57
flipping the hull ........post # 1582 pg 64 thru post #1589 pg 64
floating the boat.....post #1590 thru 1617 pg 65
oops avatar......post #1761 pg 71
building a ski locker into a deck....post#1810 pg 73 thru 1855 pg 75
building a cooler in the floor....post 1810 pg 73 thru 1855 pg 75
installing a deck......post #1866 pg 75 thru 2083 pg 83
a new i boats tradition....post #1897 pg 76
oops super dooper peanut butter...ingrediants & mixing....post # 1898 pg 76
grinding and safety equipment.....post #2016 pg 81
fiberglass stregnth tests....post #2059 pg 83
gellcoating a deck....posts #2068 pg 83 thru #2089 pg 84
installing thru hull docking lights......post#2151 pg 87 and #2231 pg 90
installing deck hull backing strips.....post #2230 pg 90
excellent displacement vs turbo discussion.....post #2400 thru #2417 pg 97
foaming a hull without worry of water intrusion....post 4158 pg 167

THE HULL EXTENSION THREAD

ok guys.....here we go.....i would have done this on share a project but i had trouble uploading there.....as i can only do six picks at a time its gonna be a multi poster...

as some of you know...im doing a complete re-fit of my 1969 sea ray srv 190
this is the boat before i started...as you can see some idiot backed the boat and trailer into a post a few seasons back...and the whole back corner had to be rebuilt at one time

Picture001.jpg

i would have just bought another boat but i love this one....so in the spirit of American choppers its getting a theme style re build...im gonna keep the theme of the vessel under my hat.....its really cool....ya''ll gonna love it when its done....i am hoping for a may launch....the project was offically started on dec 6 th 2007.

one of the problems of my boat was space...no storage at all.....so when
thinking of the refit i decided to go with 2 pilots chairs and bench seating all the way down the sides and around the back where the doghouse was and eliminate the two jump seats. that would be lots of room under the seats for storage.
with a v8 going in and a new back bench added...i would only have 3 feet of walk space front to back...its a closed bow....so the only thing to do was extend the hull !

in order to do this i first needed to make sure the hull was sound and eliminate any wet foam/ rotted stringers and transom.

since i was doing all of this ....the cap had to come off....so a crane was constructed to lift the hull during various stages of construction

picgroup4009.jpg

an special cradle had to also be made that would accommodate the extension phase

picgroup4021.jpg

after the wood frame construction....the floor was pulled in sections for inspection.....some one had already done the stringers once before..but a bad job...and rot was everywhere...they also removed the foam and didn't replace it so i dodged a bullet there.

picgroup4014.jpg

next the cap had to come off......

picgroup4024.jpg

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

ok, more, more!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after the cap was off and sitting on the floor

picgroup4030.jpg

then the work began.....everything had to come out....

first some of the stringers, floor and front gas tank support

Picture005-1.jpg

the transom was half rotted...one side totally gone the other really good so removal was a snap

picgroup4039.jpg

man did i get lucky on that one.......

*****edit*****
this is a link to a more detailed post showing the whole process
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=232109&highlight=easy+transom+removal

the hull was ground down totally....every sliver of old wood and poorly laid glass was removed......about 40 hours grinding...this is a pick of a grinder goin up in smoke.

picgroup4026.jpg

after all the grinding.....and grinding......it came time to cut the hull......
the hull was cut 16 inches forward of the transom...this was the flattest place to cut it...and easyest to extend the hull......
it was cut with a circular saw with a fine tooth blade......not the madman with the chain saw!

pic7005.jpg

if you look closely at the pic you can see shiny things on the side of the hull...
this is actually threaded rod with bolts and washers on it to brace the sides from moving in or out...you can see the threaded rod go thru the hull and attach to the other side........

after the cut....more grinding was needed........a feathering technique was used .....very thin at the cut......down to gell coat....and feathered back to full hull thickness at 8 inches from the cut......

i was told a six inch overlap was good but in typical oops fashion...im goin 12.

pic7015-1.jpg

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh...td your quick.....comin:D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Removed

Removed

Removed

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i consulted with two fiberglass gurus from svfarah boats...they make a really high end wakeboard boats.......fizel is the guy that actually made the first mould and plug for svfarah....and dale was his counterpart....they were originally going to do the extension...but work got in the way..so they couldn't....
that means i am left to my own devices to figure this thing out....i still consult with them......
they said ...regular kitchen counter arbourite was used to form the hull as it will mould nicely to the chines......

so i went to the local construction *********r..and bought scrap rolls of thick arbourite....30 bucks worth.......4 12 foot rolls.....

picbroup8003.jpg

the arbourite was cut so that one piece would form the keel section.
one would go from inner chine to the outer.....one one to form the sides...

it is important to add the releasing agent before the mould is put in place...if not releasing agent will get on the hull and you'll never get a bond

picbroup8004.jpg

the releasing agent im using is called honey wax.....the can says 7 coats...the rep said three.....each coat id buffed on...left 20 mins to flash..then buffed to a shine.....acetone was used to clean the arbourite before waxing....it is also important to clean the area around the arbourite..(sweep the gosh durn floor..... we didnt!) .....as the dust will get on the mould/arbourite.....

once the arbourite was buffed with the releasing agent it was screwed to the transom cut off.......measurements are crucial...millimetres count.....

at that time the specially made cradles were extended to the five foot length the extension will be.....

the keel mould was the first to be placed....it must be placed exactly....for the rest of the extension to go smooth.....
it was placed 5 inches from the end of the hull
and screwed to the main hull.....please notice the string lines......and the exact placement of the mould to the inner chine

picbroup8007.jpg

this simple thing took 7 hours....!!!!! it is one of the most crucial things in the extension......note the string lines again...dont screw it till the rear end is EXACTLY IN PLACE....

picbroup8020.jpg

next to go on was the side

picbroup8013.jpg

here is another really good shot of the side showing the threaded rod

picbroup8011.jpg

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

picbroup8015.jpg

picbroup8014.jpg

next thing to put on is the chine to chine mould....

picbroup8022-1.jpg

youll notice the dark spots in the hull....this is where we acetoned the hull in order to duct tape the stringlines to the hull.......

yup...red green showed up in this one :D

we placed the other chine mould and duct taped the edges of the arbourite togeather

it was at this point that........that idiot showed up....you know.....murphy???
him and his dumb laws...:mad:...i was placing a ladder over top of the boat...
a support to lay on while i gell coat the new mould. my coveralls caught the side of the arbourite and it ripped...! that means...three more coats of wax at 20 mins flash......after 12 straight hours it knocked all the wind outta my sails......so i applied the releasing agent again and locked up for the night.

it was my intention to form it.... gell it..... and glass it in one day.....

you gotta know....from a working boat to a teardown and hull cut....it was important to me to finish the extension in one day......mental dispair can come in at any time at this point, and you can loose the drive to do it.....

i have to take a few back to back trips to vancouver this week so i dont know when im gonna get the chance to climb back on it....i hope i can break away tonight and finish it....

the process from here is simple...add the gellcoat to the new mould...via paint brush....let it tack and then add glass to the gellcoat and bond the glass to the hull.....
the cloth im using is called vector ply......24 oz...it is a matt/woven product. that is stitiched not only diagonally but horizontally as well....so it is super strong......3 layers will do but im goin 4.....the catilist will be added for a slow cure.........and all the glass will be done at the same time...to form a chemical bond.....

i will be adding 2 new stringers for a total of 5...that will give the hull the bow to stern stregnth needed.....as the extension is five feet....thats just in front of the motor.....at plane, the entire weight of the hull will all be on the extension area....so it has to be double strong.......

i am having a problem that i need your input on.........
since the extension is five feet...the arbourite is flattening out in the middle of the extension.....at the inner chines........im wondering if i can cut some plastic stuff.....(chefs use it for a cutting board) .into the shape of a chine ...and place it in the mould in the gellcoat...and glass it over......

or should i add the chines to the bottom after the mould is pulled?

any suggestions would be appreciated.......ill post more picks when im done....who knows....mabe tonight ill finish :)

cheers guys
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have no idea, you're way over my head.

erikgreen

Captain

Very ambitious, and very very impressive oops :)

Erik

MikDee

Banned

By how much are you planning to extend it? This is pretty cool... I wouldn't have thought something like this was even possible.

Ditto! I think you're Quite a guy, for taking on this project, and seeing it through! More Power to Ya!!!

Just having an afterthought here, I suppose if I ever did this (like that'll ever happen, :rolleyes: I don't have the stones!) I think I'd have to put a Big Old Step in the bottom for more Speed, but I assume it would have to go further forward to work right?

Good Luck to Ya, Mike

Robj

Lieutenant

Looking good!!!

There is no way I would attempt something like that. You will soon be the iboats boat rebuilding expert something like Don S is in the repair section.

Keep us posted

Have a great day,

Rob.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Looks good so far. You may want to just put down one layer of glass to start with, you don't want the weight of the layup to change the shape of the counter top material. Plus with 4 layers it will get fairly warm, which will increase the amount of shrink, also the heat from it curing can change the shape of that kind of mold surface. Don't worry about the chemical bond issue, depending on what type of resin you use, you'll have from a couple of days to much longer before you need to grind the surface, so you'll have plenty of time.

Gel coating it is nice, as it's much nicer to grind on gel coat than glass, but normally after an extention there's a great deal fairing to be done and the gel coat either gets sanded off or covered up with more glass or filler. So don't worry too much about it.

When measuring the hull you may find that it's not symmetrical, that's not uncommon, just try to keep the running surface true.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Removed

Removed

Removed

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I think I'd have to put a Big Old Step in the bottom for more Speed, but I assume it would have to go further forward to work right?

i really.... really....wanted to do a step on it...

most stepped hulls are two or three steps....one a mid ships...and one at the three quarter point........the boat would not be long enough at 20 feet at the waterline for multi steps ....so.....

the problem with adding just the 3/4 point step was the center of gravity on the boat is not now known. so for the step to work correctally....the water contact point..(at plaining speed) must be slightly ahead of the step.....
....i had no way of knowing where this point would be.....i could guess...but if i was wrong....all the work would have been in vain...as the step would have been totally out of the water ....

so i started to look for my naval archetect guys...but every one was outta town...alll on holidays....ondarivr....was comin up here and he said hd would look at it....but then i had to go to vegas to pick up my other boat...!!!

so i just put a little rocker in the hull......:)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Looks good so far. You may want to just put down one layer of glass to start with, you don't want the weight of the layup to change the shape of the counter top material. Plus with 4 layers it will get fairly warm, which will increase the amount of shrink, also the heat from it curing can change the shape of that kind of mold surface. Don't worry about the chemical bond issue, depending on what type of resin you use, you'll have from a couple of days to much longer before you need to grind the surface, so you'll have plenty of time.

Gel coating it is nice, as it's much nicer to grind on gel coat than glass, but normally after an extention there's a great deal fairing to be done and the gel coat either gets sanded off or cover up with more glass or filler. So don't worry too much about it.

When measuring the hull you may find that it's not symmetrical, that's not uncommon, just try to keep the running surface true.

and the hull is not symmetrical....!!!! what a pita..!!!! but i made the planning surface perfect...all stringlines and mesuring tape say its bang on!

rivr.....thanks.....haaa haaa,m i was thinking of the one layer thing last night. ..(i didnt get away to finish)......i was also worried about the heat factor on the cure.....so im gonna do a one layer layup tp start...then the rest.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

You will soon be the iboats boat rebuilding expert something like Don S is in the repair section.

tee hee....rob.....if this was a hockey rink...... and not a boating forum.....

compaired to some of the guys here........im not even qualified enough to carry thier jock strap into the dressing room......!!!!

some of the guys here......man....they really know their stuff.

hope to see ya soon bud....coronas!

cheers all
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I forgot about the strakes. It may be easier to leave them out of the hull for now, then when you have it all back together run a straight edge from the ones on each section of the old hull and use it as a mold to form new ones on top of the new section of hull. On some hulls the strakes don't run all the way to the back.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

rivr ...

thanks...that was my feeling as well...add them later....

that way i can....make sure everything is bang on tracking true.....

cheers
oops

salty87

Commander

wow, i was impressed just at the cradle....the rest really takes some nads, good job

jcsercsa

Captain

man oh man ooops it looks really good, How many boats have you done ??? keep up the good work , John

Status
Not open for further replies.