Restoring 1979 Glastron V-162 Futura

Original Thor

Seaman
Good day all. So I have had my boat for a couple of years now and it has been one issue after another with the old boat. I got it from my uncle for a pretty good deal and really like the style of the boat even though I'm more of a Fishing boat kind of guy but I only got one boy and two girls so water sports are a must.

I pondered the idea of scrapping the hole unit and buying something different with no motor cause it's the best thing it's got going for it and of course its classic glastron look. But after looking at multiple boats in worse conditions then mine or they dont look nearly as good as the glastron I busted out the saws.

Now my kids are ticked cause a hopefully small repair has turned into a big one. Is it worth it on a futura I dont know hopefully someone here will tell me I'm not crazy.

I got to hop on the computer here and downsize my pictures here and show you my progress so far over the last week or so.

Original Thor

Seaman
Heres a Picture of the day I picked it up. Funny thing is I bought the boat unseen and oddly enough the color of it was the same color as my truck at the time. Now I new there was a hole in the transom. And was told it was patched. Get It home and it was patched with Bondo. Great So dug it out and had to suck the water out of the bottom to get a proper patch on there and we were on the water.

Attachments

• photo332314.jpg
    photo332314.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo332315.jpg
    photo332315.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo332316.jpg
    photo332316.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332317.jpg
    photo332317.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332318.jpg
    photo332318.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1

Original Thor

Seaman
Motor ran Great accept one of the top carb fuel lines were leaking a little bit cause from sitting for so long and they were hard as a rock No big deal. Caught a couple of fish for the day and headed back. Had a heck of a time getting it on the trailer properly took way to long for my liking. Next day went out again but for longer this time and next thing I new i was feeling that clap of water on my feet at the floor boards and was like let get off the water. Fought with it again to get it lined up on the trailer again and the thing was a tank. Got it out and pulled the plug and water just poured out. My patch was still good so what the heck. On a good note the daughter did out fish the boy and he wasn't happy. Lol

Took it home only to find three more holes in it under the rollers. More patching and got rid of the bloody rollers and made some bunks for it. Had a nice steering wheel kicking around from my 68 C10 so had to throw it on for the next trip.

Attachments

• photo332318.jpg
    photo332318.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • photo332319.jpg
    photo332319.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332320.jpg
    photo332320.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1

Original Thor

Seaman
So on the next journey with the boat to the lake we only got it out for a couple of hours a night due to bad weather but I will tell you the new modified trailer was fantastic. So fantastic the eight year old boy pulled it up by himself. Self centered and the hole nine yards.

But, cause theres always a But. Every time I wanted to go there was no just going slow to go cause it would not plane out and was like what the dues. It felt like we were all going to fall out the back. And was doing it last time we were out. The only way I could get it to get up and go is if I just punched it And then it flew. Scared the kids lol. So I new something was up. So back home it came and cut it open and yeah found 200 pounds of soaked foam and 4 inches of water still in it. Fantastic. Boating is done for the year.

Attachments

• photo332321.jpg
    photo332321.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332322.jpg
    photo332322.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2

Original Thor

Seaman
New boating Year and only like 2 months behind schedule. Lucky enough the old boat had a heated spot for my bitter cold winter and had a chance to some what dry out. But all I found was just a bunch of soft dry lumber in the stringers so out come the knife again. I was hoping only to replace the middle stringers and the transom but looking like it a full over haul cause the old roller trailer did a number on the outer stringers and has put some pretty good cracks on the fiber glass around them.

Got the old man to come over for the weekend and we made a motor stand and took the motor off the back. And yes it looks a little sketchy but a double 2x8 beam did the trick nicely. I'm a little further ahead right now but my cold shower had worn off and I'm ready to hit the sack so will bring up to current tomorrow night or sunday Night.
Thanks for reading and the useful tips Ive gotten here.

Attachments

• photo332323.jpg
    photo332323.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332324.jpg
    photo332324.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332325.jpg
    photo332325.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332326.jpg
    photo332326.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332327.jpg
    photo332327.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332328.jpg
    photo332328.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332329.jpg
    photo332329.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like you are off to a good start. Friscoboater did a nice restoration of a similar vintage Glastron, so check out his thread.

Original Thor

Seaman
Thanks. Leaning as I go. I work on cars and trucks alot. Not to many boats. These are pictures still from last weekend on pulling the top off and getting the transom and last two stringers out. And I've done a decent amount of grinding so far. Not the funnest job in the world for sure.

Attachments

• photo332504.jpg
    photo332504.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332505.jpg
    photo332505.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332506.jpg
    photo332506.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332507.jpg
    photo332507.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2
  • photo332508.jpg
    photo332508.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2

Original Thor

Seaman
Been Grinding away when time lets me, My picture of the front turned out really blurry for some reason.
Just wondering about all this gray material that chipped off pretty easy. That should all be grounded down to the fiberglass right? The stuff is hard as a rock.

Attachments

• photo332840.jpg
    photo332840.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332841.jpg
    photo332841.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332842.jpg
    photo332842.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo332843.jpg
    photo332843.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great job so far! Great progress and thanks for sharing, keep the pics and updates coming!

Original Thor

Seaman
Thanks. Hope to finish grinding this weekend and wash it all out. And get all the dust out of my garage.

Well it's been something interesting trying to get fiberglass resin since most of my stores are order over the phone only and they want specific details on items ordered. And I'm not to sure on exactly what and how much I need. Not my liking of ways of doing things. But did make it to the lumber store today and they got some nice clear pine available just forgot to take my measurements with me. My only kicker is the 3/4 plywood. I only need half a sheet but have to buy a full sheet or is standard plywood ok? I got lots of scraps kicking around. Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Exterior grade plywood is what many boat manufacturers used.

Original Thor

Seaman
Ok no worries I'll just build my seat boxes out of the rest of the sheet of plywood.
I just finished reading friscoboaters build on his cvx16 and was so sad that he never got to finish it and get it on the water himself. All the blood sweet and probably tears that went into that boat. But he is awesome at explaining things. And I'm going to do my interior just like a cvx16. I went and looked at one the other day that had no motor and was contemplating on buying it but theres not alot of floor space in those and with three kids every inch counts in a boat.

Original Thor

Seaman
Well I'm Finally finished grinding, Yay. Built the transom on Sunday, Found a half sheet of Fir exterior grade plywood at a older lumber store for 30 bucks and spent that much on glue to put it together lol. I also did some patched on this little strip of plywood that on the one strakes that is solid and didn't want to get water in there when I wash it and I ended up making way to much resin so did a couple other bad spots the factory did and a couple of layers on the transom where the bad hole was.

Washed it all up tonight and cleaned up the garage so hopefully this will be the last cold shower for a while.
Now for the interesting slash crappy part. My stringers came out super easy and now I see why. They are barely touching the hull accept for a few spots. So my templates are pretty much useless to a degree. Not what I was hoping for.

The outer stringers should be not to hard to do if i move them 6 Inches forward they fit pretty good but my hull is a little wavy there from that crappy roller setup it was on. Not to sure what I'm going to do there. And my middle one is just horrible. it touches on the back last 4 feet or so but up front is no wheres close. Its almost a inch out. I have a support in the middle like a 5th bunk you would say since the splitting of the cap and my measurements from the cap to the top are only out 3/8 of a inch so did they really build it like that with a big gap in there? And maybe that's why there's all that hard as a rock putty filler stuff along the sides of where the ply wood edges go. I dunno but called it a night in the garage and figure I would ask some questions. Thanks Again.

Attachments

• photo333290.jpg
    photo333290.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333291.jpg
    photo333291.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333292.jpg
    photo333292.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333293.jpg
    photo333293.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333294.jpg
    photo333294.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333295.jpg
    photo333295.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333296.jpg
    photo333296.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333297.jpg
    photo333297.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2

Original Thor

Seaman
Well I didn't feel like doing much last night and my resin order is a couple of days away. Spent a few hours on the net last night with the boy looking at boat pictures and getting some ideas. We are going to be building or using the three of the back to back seats as a bench across the back and thinking of building a livewell under one and a half of them. And then finding some nice captins chairs for the front. So I guess you could say make it look like the glastron cvx16 interior. Also pondering the idea of chopping the windshield just a little bit and giving it a little more of a slant. Then he showed me the trolling motor that mounts on the leg of the motor and I was like deadly I didn't want to put one on the front and theres no room at the back for one. So I priced one out and just about had a heart attack and told him we had better be good for mom and maybe for Christmas cause those units aren't cheap.

Question though should I grind more of the old tabbing down? The pictures I was looking at last night look way better then mine.

Original Thor

Seaman
Well got some more work done on the old boat last night. Transom ready to be glassed once my stuff gets here hopefully soon. I adjusted my bottom brace a little bit and got the hull sitting alot closer to the bunk now so hopefully when I wiegh down the stringers things will get back to sitting tight.

I also test fitted some old pieces and kinda thinking of doing things a little differently cause there were alot of voids in the old glass work anybody got some ideas on a better way to do it?

Attachments

• photo333506.jpg
    photo333506.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 4
  • photo333507.jpg
    photo333507.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo333508.jpg
    photo333508.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo333509.jpg
    photo333509.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 4

Original Thor

Seaman
Got the transom all matted out last night didn't take a picture but got a couple of the install. I ran my board going length wise instead of up and down cause the old transom was pretty wavy and this way seem to clamp it alot better. Stringers tomorrow and hopefully get them matted on sunday.

Attachments

• photo333612.jpg
    photo333612.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo333613.jpg
    photo333613.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo333614.jpg
    photo333614.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 3

Original Thor

Seaman
Got the transom PB in and two layers tabbed in and got the new stringers cut and coated with resin. Juts got to let the dry and ruff them up and glue them in for the night

Attachments

• photo333684.jpg
    photo333684.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333685.jpg
    photo333685.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo333686.jpg
    photo333686.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 2

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well I didn't feel like doing much last night and my resin order is a couple of days away. Spent a few hours on the net last night with the boy looking at boat pictures and getting some ideas. We are going to be building or using the three of the back to back seats as a bench across the back and thinking of building a livewell under one and a half of them. And then finding some nice captins chairs for the front. So I guess you could say make it look like the glastron cvx16 interior. Also pondering the idea of chopping the windshield just a little bit and giving it a little more of a slant. Then he showed me the trolling motor that mounts on the leg of the motor and I was like deadly I didn't want to put one on the front and theres no room at the back for one. So I priced one out and just about had a heart attack and told him we had better be good for mom and maybe for Christmas cause those units aren't cheap.

Question though should I grind more of the old tabbing down? The pictures I was looking at last night look way better then mine.

it's hard to twll from your pics about the condidtion of the old tabbing. Needs a wash/clean to see it better. If that is still paint? on the hull then yes you need to get to clean glass.I would use ply for stringers, ply is stronger.
Looking good!

Original Thor

Seaman
Thanks alot of late nights here in the garage. I grounded down the old tabbing to about 1/16 is left of the old tabbing accept on the very outsides where those little 1 inch strips of plywood is on the strakes. That wood was still hard as a rock. Actually all the wood was all in good shape considering it's a 40 year old boat. Just very moldy. Accept the transom is was so gas soaked it lifted right out once the cap was off.

I would of loved to use plywood for stringers but I could only find one place that had marine grade plywood and they had one sheet of 3/4. It was ridiculous expensive aswell. And would of took weeks to get more. Lumber stores are running out of sticks to sell these days so pine it is. And yes that's the original paint in the bow if that's were talking about.

After a late night again i got the stringers set and ready to be matted.

Attachments

• photo333757.jpg
    photo333757.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 2

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I asked if the bottom of the hull you keep showing has paint on it. if so then your poly or eeepppooxxyy bond is not what it
should be, Should be glass to glass. Ya see says I.

Perfectly acceptable plys are ACX, BCX, CDX esterior grade plys.
All good. Keep on kicking.:D