1963 Boston wailer 13 footer

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well folks , good friend got me into this boat at the christmas party, i was recoverin , hadn't smelled glass in a month and bam ....
he had all the original wood with it , and it has a 40 hp yamaha that seems to go into limp mode last time it was used , a few years ago , so now i sit here trying to decide if i go original or go center console and make it a flats style boat ...

Attachments

• photo323324.jpg
    photo323324.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • photo323326.jpg
    photo323326.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 11
  • photo323325.jpg
    photo323325.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 10
  • photo323327.jpg
    photo323327.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323328.jpg
    photo323328.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323329.jpg
    photo323329.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323330.jpg
    photo323330.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323331.jpg
    photo323331.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323332.jpg
    photo323332.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323333.jpg
    photo323333.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323334.jpg
    photo323334.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323335.jpg
    photo323335.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • photo323337.jpg
    photo323337.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 9
  • photo323336.jpg
    photo323336.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 10

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The all-thread is an interesting weak transom fix. The weather hasn't been kind to her. You may be wailing as you dig into her. LOL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop------Get the boat weighed.-----Looks like total junk to me.------Could be waterlogged !!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
believe it or not its not waterlogged however i know the transom needs to be done , im all about a project so its no biggie just cant decide if i wanna go through effort of restoring original or doing skiff with center console , either boat would be nice crabbin off of id think, side console be better for trot lining though but idont know if it would ride crooked all the time with me on one side lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well if i did center console id move it foward anyway to get some weight out of rear of boat spread it out more, that's what i have seen after scouring the internet's, Kc, im going to do some exploratory today :) I dont think there is much left in the transom, i just have to decide if im willing to attempt to decap or if i will just do floor where all the water usually lays and the Sea cast method!
think it will make for one fine crabbin boat though once completed. more pics today of the damage:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I was hauling a tin can right by your place yesterday .. I could have dropped by and gave you some encouragement or talked some sense into you ..:D
‘I didn’t have working trailer lights and was getting late so I kept going ..
‘Yep you got some work cut out for you .. But a nice boat for your area for sure ..
Maybe a long tiller handle kind of set up would work ...
Or get a chair and sit in the middle and see if a side stick steer system would work with no real console ..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Whalers are tub construction. if it was trashed, just cut the innertub out, remove the offending wood and foam, pour in new foam, grind to shape, then glass from there.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Ok so im im am amazed to say least , a 1963 wailer , i drilled transom drilled bow got vac reversed put in good incline and nope not a drop of water, then to add insult to injury i cut transom open,
wood was damn near perfect but wet so i dont dont feel as bad about that ,
​​​​thinking going to sea cast or arjay it back in since it was only wood on boat , plus i wanna bed hardware when i i start putting that stuff on it , got a ton of sanding to fo and lil crack repairs but im thrilled it was dry. Now to keep it that way lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Still undecided about mini console or just use original mahogony and put it back

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ok so im im am amazed to say least , a 1963 wailer , i drilled transom drilled bow got vac reversed put in good incline and nope not a drop of water, then to add insult to injury i cut transom open,
wood was damn near perfect but wet so i dont dont feel as bad about that ,
​​​​thinking going to sea cast or arjay it back in since it was only wood on boat , plus i wanna bed hardware when i i start putting that stuff on it , got a ton of sanding to fo and lil crack repairs but im thrilled it was dry. Now to keep it that way lol

pretty sure the foam will be wet. I have never found a whaler without wet foam (brand new excluded). you should weigh it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Still undecided about mini console or just use original mahogony and put it back

I dont have any pictures, however we mounted a mini consol with a seat in front to my bud Rich's 14' Whaler. it was about $200 from Marine Surplus in Sarasota. even came with a small plexy windshield. It added a seat and took care of the long damaged console. we had to make a wood shim (cypress covered in 5200), however I would probably glass it in if it was mine.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks scott Thats how i was thinking the wood has had holes drilled and stuff over the years and as we all know florida isnt iind to brightwork so figured a glass one would be less maintinence

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Scott great idea on the Weighing... however after scouring forums there seems to be a issue with what they really weigh compared to what other folks see as weight , it seems to vary factory says 350 , all i know is i can lift it pretty easily that i one handed it while putting a saw horse under the bow eye , the only moist area i found was right next to the drain hole in back and about a inch away the foam was virgin white with no moisture , i do have a moisture meter , guess i could drill a hole here and there and shoot it in and see if its holding anywhere .
Need to get a trailer first, i cut the one up i brought it home with , it was scary dangerous :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I know from weighing boats at work, new Whalers always come in at spec...... Yellow Fin gets KG and LBS mixed up (a hull that is supposed to be 600# is actually 1320# - or a bit over 600kgs)

so if you have a good spec weigh, use it.

BTW, aluminum jetski trailers can be modified for a 13'/14' whaler

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
great, thanks Scott, imma keep a look out for a jetski trailer then because even the lightest trailers most folks make boat wise seem over kill for a 500 lb boat/outboard i figure go for something that can handle 1k and should be more then fine .