Formula 330 Cabin Floor & Ceiling Work

tpenfield

Staff member
Progress update . . .

I cut the vinyl plank floor for the top step in the cabin. . .
IMG_4336.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
The rubber trim strips that I ordered came today as well. - Stair nosing and carpet edge . . . both black. So, I'm good to go.

Next steps are to apply adhesive to the top step and 'glue' the planks down. Then I can start working on the planks for the main cabin floor.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Staff member
More progress . . .
I got the cabin floor 'planked'. So, just waiting for it to set up for a few days and then I'll be doing the carpet along the sides and the edging.
IMG_4344.JPG
This all worked out the way I hoped it would (so far). Now just have to see if I can bend the stair nosing (rubber) around the curved stair.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 4

tpenfield

Staff member
I got the stair nosing installed. I had to really heat/stretch it around the corners.
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
Next steps will be the carpet transition strips on the cabin floor, then carpeting on the sidewall.

Any thoughts on the adhesive for the carpeting :noidea:

I am not sure what Formula used. My thoughts are either a general purpose carpet adhesive or a contact cement. Any other ideas that would be good for a marine environment? I got lots of vinyl tile adhesive, but probably not the right thing for carpet. :noidea:

chevymaher

Commander
I did massive research when it was time for mine. I was on all the forums. I used this glue. I got caught in a downpour that put a foot of water in the bilge in less than 10 minutes. Carpet was running water wet.

My carpet is never ever coming out. It is good stuff and the price is right. 24 hours to full cure.

It has my version of the woodenglass approval.

Edit I got the pail with the handle larger but this is the same stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEC-Skill-S...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I've had weird results with DAP Weldwood for different projects... It may work great for carpeting, but I used it to veneer the glovebox on my previous boat, and let it setup for like a week, and then the first day on the water sitting in the sun, it wrinkled up and was ruined...

tpenfield

Staff member
I ended up getting what the local big-box store had . . . "Roberts 6700 indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive".

Also got some of the Weldwood Contact Cement for the transition strips along with some 3/4" and 1" 18-Gauge crown staples for the nailer gun to tack down the carpet and the transition strips.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do a test and walk on it. Read somewhere that someone put some down and walked on it days later and the glue came thru. Also after cure soak it and and try again to make sure it don't get soft. That's one of those things that would suck to do twice

tpenfield

Staff member
Do a test and walk on it.

I've been walking & standing on it a lot, because where else am I going to stand within the cabin :noidea: . Yes, some of the glue does come through as the planks settle in, but it is easily cleaned up. It is probably going to take a few weeks for the glue to really set up.

The nice thing is that when I nail the carpet edge down around the perimeter of the floor, it will lock the planks in place so they can't go anywhere. Such is the case now with the step area, because of the stair edging.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the adhesive takes a few weeks to cure when under a non-porous material, which is why madprops had an issue with his dash.

under carpet, it cures in 2 days because the VOC's can escape thru the carpet.

tpenfield

Staff member
Finished the flooring and carpet and got everything buttoned up . . .
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now onto regular season prep work . . . :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, those of us not on the formula boats forum are seeing blank squares.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, those of us not on the formula boats forum are seeing blank squares.

Rats . . . :( I'll see if I can post them elsewhere. Not sure what the deal is with the forum website, but the regular picture upload stuff has not been working for a week or so. The only way I could get anything in the way of pictures to post was to use the image icon on the format banner, which then only takes URL's, not uploads.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, do you have them on your Blog? on tpenfield.com

tpenfield

Staff member
[QUOT

E=Scott Danforth;n10862437]Ted, do you have them on your Blog? on tpenfield.com
[/QUOTE]

Not yet . .

Does this work?
96721765_3540790499271433_3973853980215214080_n.jpg

96679592_3540790515938098_5979994304658014208_n.jpg

96946348_3540790505938099_3905159663397634048_n.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well how come those pics showed? Secret back door in?
Does look good!

Jesus now I can't even post comments on my build.

tpenfield

Staff member
It seems that if I reference an image from a website (like my blog site tpenfield.com) using the image insert icon ( the one on the format editor), then the images will post. If you use the paper clip icon, they won't/don't. One of the recent changes to the forum site must have busted the paper clip feature. Anywho . . .

I updated my blog site, so here are some images from that site.
IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

This was an OK exercise for me . . . finding the 'back door' to posting images, since I re-visited my blog site, which I had not done in a while, and made sure I can still login, update things, etc.