Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gelcoat, with or without wax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gelcoat, with or without wax

    Om making a repair on a stake. I never used gelcoat with wax. Only shot straight from the barrel in the factory. And normal repairs were shot with patch aide added. Will it hurt if u dont use it and shoot the hull.

  • #2
    The purpose of the wax is to create a barrier between the gelcoat and the oxygen in the air so the gelcoat can fully cure. If you don't use gelcoat with wax, then you'll need to spray or brush on some PVA over the gelcoat after it sets up. This will allow it to fully cure. An alternative to that is to tape a piece of wax paper around the entire gelcoat repair so air doesn't get to it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm. So I'm wondering if at the factory when we shot it out of the barrel, did it in fact have wax in it. I've built over 100,000 boats of my career. And never knew anything about wax. I always heated my repair spot up with a heat gun and shot it. About the time I got my gun cleaned she was cured and ready to wipe with acetone 400 600 1000 buff.

      Comment


      • #4
        Made me curious enough I got ahold of one of the gelcoaters from Mariah. So I should hear something soon.

        Comment


        • #5
          During production of a boat, the gelcoat is the first to be sprayed, and then it's covered with the polyester resin and fiberglass. In this process, it is naturally overcoated and does not come in contact with the air. Hence, it is able to fully cure with no wax needed.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Zippys Gelcoat and Fiberglass Repair View Post
            Hmm. So I'm wondering if at the factory when we shot it out of the barrel, did it in fact have wax in it. I've built over 100,000 boats of my career. And never knew anything about wax.
            thats due to the mold being sprayed then the glass sprayed over that creates that barrier.
            Seadoo 96XP Full Resto (Sold)

            1989 BayLiner Capri 14' Full Resto
            (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...pri-resto-help)

            Comment


            • #7
              So I can spray the wax gelcoat and it will cure?

              Comment


              • #8
                Figured after 20 years I would have that knowledge

                Comment


                • #9
                  Isn't the inside of a hull mold waxed before gelcoat is sprayed in it, though typically for ease of removing the hull from the mold?
                  1980's Bowrider Restoration Project (Ongoing 2019)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zippys Gelcoat and Fiberglass Repair View Post
                    So I can spray the wax gelcoat and it will cure?
                    you can spray gel coat with wax, just be ready to clean the gun asap because it will trash it, and only spray s much as you can in a 10min period unless its over 70 degrees then you want to start cutting time off of the "working" use of it. also use a gun made for primer, it shoots better, like a 2.4 needle is best. nrthern tol has a good one and for $30, its a green one with regulator on it.
                    Seadoo 96XP Full Resto (Sold)

                    1989 BayLiner Capri 14' Full Resto
                    (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...pri-resto-help)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kcon View Post
                      Isn't the inside of a hull mold waxed before gelcoat is sprayed in it, though typically for ease of removing the hull from the mold?
                      they have a releasing agent. i guess you could call it wax, but its not the same to my knowledge
                      Seadoo 96XP Full Resto (Sold)

                      1989 BayLiner Capri 14' Full Resto
                      (https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...pri-resto-help)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kcon not only are they waxed, there are SOLO'd also. Then tape tested. If the tape drags at all on the mold it has to be redone. Cause it will stick.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Doing Gelcoat in a Mold and On an exterior hull are Totally different animals. If you're going to shoot the entire hull you should totally grind off ALL the old Gelcoat and get her down to fresh Glass. You Don't use wax in the gelcoat until the final coat. You'll need 4-6 coats. Dump guns are the best for spraying Gelcoat. Temps, Humidity etc all play a vital role in external spraying of Gelcoat. It's significantly more difficult than spraying it in a mold. That's why the majority of boat restorations opt to paint their hulls instead of Re-Gelcoating them. Not saying you can't but if you're not set up properly to do it then your success ratio goes way down.
                          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, I called an ole gelcoat friend from our Mariah days. We discussed something. Why are you adding wax on your final coat only? Because when I had a paint spot. I didnt dust it on then wait and dust some more. I piled it on. Sometimes I oiled it on so good it dropped to the floor if ya know what I mean. See we only added about a 1/4 cup of your paint gun can and usually 5-15cc of catalyst. Pending on how fast ya wanted it to kick. Then we got a heat gun, hair drier and finished kickin it off. No wax at all mind you, except that when we were done and the gel was kicked, we got an acetone rag and wipe out cured gelcoat paint spot. So that's why you're saying cover it? Because of the lil stickiness thaat will gum up your paper quicker then you can say the word Mercrusier? Lol. Yup

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
                              Doing Gelcoat in a Mold and On an exterior hull are Totally different animals. If you're going to shoot the entire hull you should totally grind off ALL the old Gelcoat and get her down to fresh Glass. You Don't use wax in the gelcoat until the final coat. You'll need 4-6 coats. Dump guns are the best for spraying Gelcoat. Temps, Humidity etc all play a vital role in external spraying of Gelcoat. It's significantly more difficult than spraying it in a mold. That's why the majority of boat restorations opt to paint their hulls instead of Re-Gelcoating them. Not saying you can't but if you're not set up properly to do it then your success ratio goes way down.
                              Know it's not really. Other then you are gonna milgauge it in the mold then dust the milMark's. I've had it say in the mold no biggy. Wax in the gelcoat. I never heard of such a thing. I wanna know why ya think that being in the open air isnt gonna cure gelcoat when it's a chemical change that occurs. Ya gonna paint it in a vacuum? I dont mean to come across as a smart at all. But I have the knowledge and experience. I know more tricks to repair gelcoat in any form ya hand it to me. From the diamond plate no skid to theswirled. I've repaired it.100xs over. Granted it's been a minute bit itll come back.
                              and I do love this forum. I love to see how other peeps do it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X