1957 Fleetform Custom Restoration

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all. Brand new to the forum. I recently set out to find an old "junk" glass boat to cut up and glass a jet ski motor in for a fun project. I picked up an "old junk boat" from pictures on the internet for pretty cheap that turned out to be in much better shape than I thought. Turned out to be what I think is a 1957 Fleetform Custom?? Commodore?? Commodore Custom?? Not sure exactly what the model is, but it's definitely a Fleetform. Says "Custom" on the center of the steering wheel. At any rate, I just don't have the heart to cut it up and have decided that it would be WAY cooler to try to restore it any take my lovely bride out and chauffeur her around on nice evenings. I LOVE the lines of this boat. I will surely need some help with this project, however. I've redone a couple of motorcycles, but never boats. I have all of the tools to spray/finish paint (I think) and I'm pretty handy. I was a welder for most of my life until I went back to school several years ago and currently work as an Electrician on a drilling rig in the GOM. Here's a couple of pictures of the boat and I'll update when I get home and put my hands on it. First up is just a good cleaning and inspection. Any advice would really help. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo312247.jpg
    photo312247.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312248.png
    photo312248.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312249.jpg
    photo312249.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312250.jpg
    photo312250.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312251.jpg
    photo312251.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 6
  • photo312252.png
    photo312252.png
    712.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo312253.jpg
    photo312253.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312254.png
    photo312254.png
    598.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo312255.png
    photo312255.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312256.png
    photo312256.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312260.png
    photo312260.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo312261.png
    photo312261.png
    554.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo312262.png
    photo312262.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo312263.png
    photo312263.png
    492 KB · Views: 3
  • photo312264.png
    photo312264.png
    588.2 KB · Views: 3

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
That would be a sweet little boat all Purdy. Take the casket and slap your jet ski motor on that:angel:

froggy1150

Plan on a full gut and restore. Being a welder you should be handy with a grinder

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks froggy. I think it's going to clean up really well. My brother picked it up for me and cleaned a small spot on it and also kinda beat around on the hull and transom and pulled up and down on the motor. He said the spot cleaned up shiny, smooth, and bright and he didn't find any soft spots at all. I will give it a good inspection when I get my hands on it and see. I am definitely handy with a grinder, but I hope I don't have to use it TOO much!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah ! She’s well worth restoring ! Kind of reminds me of a Lake and Sea ...
Looking forward to watching the restoration ! :pop2:

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
sphelps, yeah it does. I may get roasted for this, but I'm not real crazy about the models with the fins. I like the way this one just kills off into the water. I'm looking at powering it with a '63 mercury 650 and want to color match the cowl to the boat and shine the wrap so that it kinda blends and doesn't break the lines of the boat up at the back. Kinda like this motor, but color matched yellow.

Attachments

• photo312257.jpg
    photo312257.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1

TommyRocker

Seaman
Looks like a cool boat. I'd be shocked if the transom was solid enough to risk. Might get away with leaving the mushy stringers if the floor is solid and you don't mind the added weight of all that trapped water but the transom is what takes all the weight and thrust of the engine and if it's rotten (which it is unless they're one of the very few companies to not use a plywood core) you'll start to crack the glass/gelcoat in short order and potentially lose the motor and transom into the lake. But the lines make it an excellent candidate for restoration in my eyes. Worth the work.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I like the barrel back look too ! I’m ok with fins also but I do agree some look a little funky ..:lol:

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a cool boat. I'd be shocked if the transom was solid enough to risk. Might get away with leaving the mushy stringers if the floor is solid and you don't mind the added weight of all that trapped water but the transom is what takes all the weight and thrust of the engine and if it's rotten (which it is unless they're one of the very few companies to not use a plywood core) you'll start to crack the glass/gelcoat in short order and potentially lose the motor and transom into the lake. But the lines make it an excellent candidate for restoration in my eyes. Worth the work.

I will definitely start with a good inspection. If anything needs to be redone, I’ll repair it before I put it on the water. I don’t think that boat sat out in the elements for THAT long. Last time it was registered was 2002. No way the back seat would still be white if had been outside since then.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Are you a, or do you know- a Mercury guy? That Evinrude lark can be totally disassembled and rebuilt/restored with simple hand tools. A Mercury outboard from that era maybe not so much. You have to remember that the inventor and designer of Mercury outboards was in fact certifiably insane. They do have an undeniable allure. But you'll go broke or insane yourself just trying to round up some of the special tools some operations require. Just sayin' :)

Cheers.........................Todd

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you a, or do you know- a Mercury guy? That Evinrude lark can be totally disassembled and rebuilt/restored with simple hand tools. A Mercury outboard from that era maybe not so much. You have to remember that the inventor and designer of Mercury outboards was in fact certifiably insane. They do have an undeniable allure. But you'll go broke or insane yourself just trying to round up some of the special tools some operations require. Just sayin' :)

Cheers.........................Todd

Todd, that’s what I’m afraid of. I don’t have an allegiance with mercury other that the fact that I love the look. I simply can’t get past the fact that the Lark looks like a mailbox on the transom and....well... to be honest just ruins the boat to me. I’ve also thrown around the idea of putting a later model outboard on it too. I would like to keep it half way period anyways. I’m on the fence really. I’m not a purist, but I really love the look of the ‘63 650 redone. I truly am looking for some coaching/mentoring from this group of what I would consider “pros”. Like I said, I’m pretty handy as I’ve worked as a technician all of my professional life. I just haven’t done a ton with outboards. Thanks a bunch for your input.

froggy1150

This might be WAY OFF IN LEFT FIELD but what if you made a "beauty cover" out of fiberglass?
just a plan b thought.........

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Todd, that’s what I’m afraid of. I don’t have an allegiance with mercury other that the fact that I love the look. I simply can’t get past the fact that the Lark looks like a mailbox on the transom and....well... to be honest just ruins the boat to me. I’ve also thrown around the idea of putting a later model outboard on it too. I would like to keep it half way period anyways. I’m on the fence really. I’m not a purist, but I really love the look of the ‘63 650 redone. I truly am looking for some coaching/mentoring from this group of what I would consider “pros”. Like I said, I’m pretty handy as I’ve worked as a technician all of my professional life. I just haven’t done a ton with outboards. Thanks a bunch for your input.

I hear ya on the mailbox reference. If it were mine there's only one outboard that could go on it, A 1957 Golden Javelin. But then I love the smell of two stroke oil and the noise and all the rest of it. I can only imagine what it would have been like on a busy lake in 1957 with a swarm of those things running around on a quiet Sunday morning.

There's something to be said for a modern 4 stroke outboard. There's definitely a romance to the old outboards for me. But when the coughing fits start and the eyes start burning it does lose some of its luster.

Cheers......................Todd

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hear ya on the mailbox reference. If it were mine there's only one outboard that could go on it, A 1957 Golden Javelin. But then I love the smell of two stroke oil and the noise and all the rest of it. I can only imagine what it would have been like on a busy lake in 1957 with a swarm of those things running around on a quiet Sunday morning.

There's something to be said for a modern 4 stroke outboard. There's definitely a romance to the old outboards for me. But when the coughing fits start and the eyes start burning it does lose some of its luster.

Cheers......................Todd

Lol. Let's don't get carried away..... I meant I may opt for a later model, but I don't think I have any intention of putting a 4 stroke on there! I like the sound of a 2 stroke myself. What's the smallest yellow stripe that was made??? :)

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have even entertained a 90hp tower, but I'm afraid it would just be TOO big....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You can’t beat the looks of those old Merc’s ! But the Lark looks good also !
Idk , I guess parts may be easier to find on the Rude ...

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Hmmm, not sure what I did with the link I tried to post. Let's try this again. Not sure if you've seen this already. Not a whole lot of information but the print adds are kind of cool.

Cheers..................................Todd

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmm, not sure what I did with the link I tried to post. Let's try this again. Not sure if you've seen this already. Not a whole lot of information but the print adds are kind of cool.

Cheers..................................Todd

Todd, thanks for posting that link. I had already seen that and that's where I came up with some of my opening questions. First, there is only ONE reference to the Fleetform Custom in the info in that link.... my steering wheel says "Custom". I don't know what the difference in the Custom and the Commodore is. In more than one of those scans the manufacturer refers to "fiberglass reinforced plastic". Does the boat have plastic stringers?? Surely not....right?? Be cool if it did. The boat was only supposed to weigh an approximate 450 lbs new. Can I hang a 300 lb motor on it without sinking it?? You're right though....the print adds were pretty cool.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It’s possible you have glass stringers .. My 64 MFG did but I guess later through the years they started using wood ..
I guess a cost saving move idk ...
Looking forward to some cleaned up pics !

MPrimeaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
It’s possible you have glass stringers .. My 64 MFG did but I guess later through the years they started using wood ..
I guess a cost saving move idk ...
Looking forward to some cleaned up pics !

sphelps, I go home tomorrow and will get the boat to my house this coming weekend. My youngest is graduating from high school and my brother is going to bring it to me then. I figure Sunday or Monday I'll get a minute to clean it up and pictures will quickly follow!