Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Coming together yes Eric. Nicely.. Sometimes ;) I keep picking away at it.. Soon will be getting more hours in it so I can still have it finished before bass season opens here...

dezmond

What a PITA to rebuild bow seating.... I thought I would be smart and start from the top down. Gotta change direction and work from the bottom up. Nothing is square or level like I hoped it would be.. Ya Ya it's a Bayliner I know. And yes I gotta stop being so picky... I still have 6 gallons of resin, I will make it close to level ;) Stood there last night staring at the front of the boat for over an hour thinking what to do to make it look better... Fresh head today and the boy is coming out to help so maybe a fresh set of eyes will help....

dezmond

Well not too bad of a weekend.. Went o.k. Got the side pieces cut out that attach to the sidewalls of the hull for the bow seating. Used the cardboard strips and hot glue. Worked like a charm :)

Then on to the seat top in the bow.. I took a board and cut a tip on it. Screwed some supports at the same height the bow seating would be. Put it up front so I had my center line and distance. I wanted to cut out the front in one piece from a 4x8 sheet of wood.

After I got my measurements, I was able to draw something up in solidworks and transfer that on to my sheet of 3/4" fir ACX ply. I am only using 3/4" for the top. Would like a solid seat to be sitting on. Also I don't want to have to frame it in everywhere to get the support. The foam under there will help as well.

It sits in pretty good. Yes Yes I will be cleaning out the old foam under there before I put the top on. I will scrape it all out. I quick sand with 60 grit, coat of epoxy resin. Once that is cured I plan to fill the boxes with foam again. It was there before. Figure I will put it back. Make the hull nice and solid.

Tonight I got the end caps put on as well as the inside walls of the seating up front. Just letting it setup then I will fille and tab them to the deck I think... I will get to use my fairing blend from West for the first time ;) Excited...

As for the console, I still have not done too much as I want to make sure that the bow seating is close to being finished. Then I will set the console in ad make any adjustments needed so there is adequate leg room for the passengers.

I also found someone local that does tube bending and aluminum welding. They will be helping me do the custom framework for the T-Top that I would like to have for the boat. I plan to go and say hi to him this weekend and come up with a game plan on design etc.

That's about it for now. I'll be hanging around and doing some little tasks like cloth layups here and there, etc. that needs to be finished.. Also I have been thinking about my side wall panels. Not sure what to make them out of yet... Ideas? Want full panels with openings for storage....

Oh ya and also gotta come up with a way to attach seat backs for the people sitting up front. I like the V-Clips I saw online.

dezmond

Hey Everyone,
Another small update and a couple of questions...

Got some parts PB'd into the boat. The bow seating sides and back as you can see :) I only have the top screwed in for now so I can take it out and pour some foam underneath where needed and also I need to make a small access hatch at the front so I can gain access to the front bow hook for the trailer. Never know...

I set the CC in there just so I can see that I have enough walkway to get up front. So far so good ;) I will be rounding all the edges and such as I move along. Thoughts everyone? Ideas or changes?

My fiberglass question.......... I think I want to fill in along the outside top edge of the boat... The inset piece along what you see there is where the old side glass was attached. Since I won't have that installed, what would be my best options?

Thanks again everyone... Oh ya, I was thinking.... Since I have the deck completed now with foam, am I safe to put the trailer under it now? If so I was going to post a couple of photos tomorrow sometime of what I have now and get your help and suggestions as to what I may need to change/upgrade if any on it before I put it under the boat.

Ta Ta for now :)

Dezi

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Framing job on the CC has always amazed me. :thumb:
Can't wait to see it completed.

dezmond

Thanks guys :)

As promised, here are some pics of my trailer. It is a EZ-Loader. Just wondering if I should change anything. I have never adjusted the rollers on a trailer before. So please if you guys have any thoughts, sources, videos that I can watch to see how to do it, that would be great.

Think it is safe now that I can put the boat on the trailer to finish up the work?

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you ever come up with a rough estimate how you'll be coming in + or - weight wise? Any chance you might need a tandem instead of single axle after your changes?

dezmond

You wanted estimate for the center console right? I don’t think I should need a tandem. The boat is a 1750. And it’s all dry now and not waterlogged. Do you think I need a tandem?

dezmond

That’s what I thought. I will take the trailer over and get it weighed and then when I put the boat on take it back and see what the difference is. Will give me an idea of how much the boat is.

dezmond

So do you guys think it’s ok to move the boat onto the trailer now?

dezmond

Awesome thanks!! Happy to hear this... I probably won't put it on the trailer this weekend as I want to keep moving on the Bow area and try to get as much of that done as I can. If I bring the trailer home, I will be replacing the rollers (came in today) and then I will probably want to re paint it, then check the bearings, blah blah blah.. Would like to see more progress on the interior first.... Maybe next week I will pick away at the trailer after work.. Supposed to be nice temps next week as well. We shall see ;)

dezmond

Quick question before tomorrow’s work on the boat. What size holes would I be drilling in my transom for my gimbal housing and transom plate? Also what size hole
saw do I need for the steering reliefs?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great progress man! I have a Volvo so no help on the transom shield bolt questions. :rolleyes:

GCartwright

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dez, friscoboater has video of drilling the steering relief holes for a merc

Status
Not open for further replies.