1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i deleted that one, not sure why it went to facebook that way when it was on landscape right side up on phone lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
decent before and after, i am trying to find someplace to post all of the build pics but haven't been successful yet lol
it started with a 3.0 but now has a ls 4.8 fuel injected out of a 2002 tahoe, using the 411 ecm and hp tuners in speed density.
videos can be wwatched on youtube by searching micky ryan or just clicking here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIst6DlKetdiLRtQ5yXVX0g

Attachments

• photo310535.jpg
    photo310535.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 17
  • photo324350.jpg
    photo324350.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Outstanding job Micky !
Yeah I have pics all over the place on different computers files .. One day I'll get organized ..:lol:
Thinking on another camping trip down your way this year .. I got a little work to do on the MFG to get ready ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well c'mon down , by then i'll have the lil boat done and we can do some backwater fishin! sucked my job was up there in the fall/winter , id loved to hit some of ya fishin spots up that way!

Metrodriver

Cadet
Hi Micky, You did an amazing job on your boat! It took me 2 days to go through all 97 pages, but hey, got nothing better to do while sitting in an Anchorage hotel room when it is freezing-your-***-off cold outside.... It went from 37 to 3 degrees in a day, with quite a bit of wind. Too much for my skinny bones.

I bought the exact same boat last year, an 89 2159 hardtop. Previous owner died, wife had no interest any more. They had the engine (OMC Cobra 5.8) out for a rebuild, which was good... First thing I noticed were torn up air hoses, 4" one from the blower, a smaller 3" one that goes ???? Then I looked at the transom, hmm, bit dark on the bottom, test drilled, all mulch. Cut out the rotten center panel, the sides were good. BL did not waterproof the drain hole, the solid wood bottom piece got water logged, and the plywood above soaked it up. Tried to remove outdrive..... needed a bottle jack to push the drive shaft out of the gimbal bearing, that was completely seized in the housing. Removed gimbal housing and all mechanicals. Replaced the rotten transom piece with coosaboard. Besides some nice bilge paint it is finished.
I always had water in that "coffin" in the berth. The fishing rod tubes and potable water fill had a hard plastic seal that did not seal at all. Sealed them, on both sides of the boat. Water tank had leaked and I had to fix the floor under it. All the window studs were leaking. Lifted the top, new sealant under the window frames (including front) and now no more leaking. Leaks under the bow pulpit. Took that off. Weighed a ton, it had soaked up so much water from too little sealant around the rear edge, where the water pools from the angle the boat sits and water came in through the bolt holes and wire hole. The nav light wiring connector fell apart when I touched it. Replaced the plywood in the pulpit with coosaboard and installed the attwood led nav light. Sealed it all, mounted it, now it is dry. I still have water leaking into the area under the fridge, my batteries are mounted there. But there is no drain hole to the bilge... Sealing the window frames eliminated water dripping on all the electric wiring running there, and down in that hull area, it reduced the amount of water down there but I think what still leaks in there comes from the vent in the hull with the 2 vent hoses. I am going to make a vent with the louvers angled down, hopefully that will fix it.
I made new cushions for the v-berth. New foam, new fabric, all from Sailrite, and with the help from their videos it came out really nice, and I have never used a sewing machine before. It encouraged me to redo 2 vinyl pillows in the cabin, the bottom forward one and the top cover for the helm seat trying to match the others as close as possible. A rat decided it was good stuff for a nest...The 30 year old BL blues are not available anymore :( . I have new window channels ready to replace the rotten old ones, they are the same as a 1960's Chevelle, found them at CRL in Kent, WA, part AS 146696. Must order through contractor license / glass shop.
Removed the rubrail as the original sealant had let go and water was being wicked inside the boat. Re-sealed the hull joint, now I am waiting for warmer dry weather to put it back on, with a layer of sealant along the top edge
My old gimbal housing when I took the bellows off was full of cottage cheese, with the bearing seized in it. The collar for the bellows was corroded away at the bottom, so I needed a new gimbal housing. Working on it now, it will go on the boat once it stops being cold or rainy (way too much rain lately in Seattle, and when it does not rain, it is freezing cold). Then, in a few month, engine time.

Few questions for you: my wife wants the bulkhead, would it be possible to send a bunch of pictures of how you made it, mounted it? A blueprint would be awesome if you have it. I can send you my email address.

Where did you get the headliner? Was it pre-made specifically for this boat?

Your tv / display, how did you do that? I want to use an android tablet / phone / other wifi and Lte capable device for the database of the navionics, be able to see it on a larger screen and be able to watch tv / netflix / youtube when anchored. I have a computer monitor laying around, would be perfect.

Where did you find the plastic molding strips for the front windshield? I also have the black gooey junk coming from the inside seals that are pulling out of the corners.

I was going to attach a few pictures, but the file size is too big. Gotta figure out how to make them small.

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Few questions for you: my wife wants the bulkhead, would it be possible to send a bunch of pictures of how you made it, mounted it? A blueprint would be awesome if you have it. I can send you my email address. this i can measure up and take a ton of photos to show you how i did mine.

Where did you get the headliner? Was it pre-made specifically for this boat?no i got headliner material and glued it with spray adhesive , careful some arent any good for heat, i have the can still so i will get you what i was recommended.

Your tv / display, how did you do that? I want to use an android tablet / phone / other wifi and Lte capable device for the database of the navionics, be able to see it on a larger screen and be able to watch tv / netflix / youtube when anchored. I have a computer monitor laying around, would be perfect. I will pm you and we can talk over phone, way too much info to post :)

Where did you find the plastic molding strips for the front windshield? I also have the black gooey junk coming from the inside seals that are pulling out of the corners. i haven't found exact ones im looking for , they are a standard window rubber however the few companys i had called were out , i have some notes someplace on this

I was going to attach a few pictures, but the file size is too big. Gotta figure out how to make them small what i do is put them on desktop highlight them , right click and mail to self it makes them smaller and gives you opens on size you want.

Metrodriver

Cadet
Figured out how to resize pics...

Attachments

• photo325089.jpg
    photo325089.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 10
  • photo325090.jpg
    photo325090.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 10
  • photo325091.jpg
    photo325091.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 11
  • photo325092.jpg
    photo325092.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo325093.jpg
    photo325093.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 10
  • photo325094.jpg
    photo325094.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo325095.jpg
    photo325095.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 10
  • photo325096.jpg
    photo325096.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
damn i been slackin, anyways took her out a few weeks back with fresh gas ran fine , dropped money today on one of the 3 last things i needed to complete her
https://www.furuno.com/en/products/radar/DRS4W
DRS4W_right_2.jpg

now i need to figure out how high i need to mount it so my rocket launchers dont interfere, next on list is the ac... that one is perplexing me i am almost tempted to do a portable like zeroBreeze and call it a day!
https://www.zerobreeze.com/

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
forgot to mention ill take some pics but i closed in alll the hatches on rear of boat and put lids on the hatches seemed to like to grow crap in the channels and well i got sick of it :) im using eva foam flooring back there to make it all look good with a couple of waterproof flush mount hatches !

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Here is an idea I have been toying with. Not sure how it would like saltwater though.....
run ac just like a car. Compressor on. Motor, evaporator on cabin top and rest in cabin..... otherwise I have not seen anything under 1500.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure ya get the ac figured out before I ride down for a cruise ! :D

Hey your up past your bed time aren't you ?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Here is an idea I have been toying with. Not sure how it would like saltwater though.....
run ac just like a car. Compressor on. Motor, evaporator on cabin top and rest in cabin..... otherwise I have not seen anything under 1500.

i had a thought but need to test it , if my outdrive can feed enough water without the secondary pump, i could put factory ac compressor on then make a line cooler that used seawater to cool the coils just loop the water through it and protect metal with some anodes . more study needed on this but i still have the ac compressor bracket on the engine i just modified a bracket to work with it for seawater pump.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was not going to use water for anything. My concern was mist/splash on condenser coil. Lake water would not be too bad but I think sea water might eat the aluminum quick. That's still down the road. Another idea I had was a second water suction pump with a separate pickup like a live well feeding a radiator off of some foreign 4 banger and dumping back out. Here on a mild day it's 105. Lake is bout 78 ish. 25 deg drop would do it. Also though about swamping it but the results would probably suck even when not humid due to the moisture from the water. And with the rad idea you could valve hot engine water thru it in winter...... just dumb ideas at the moment.....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well my breif thoughts are based on what i have seen , a a swamp cooler would have negative effects here in florida :)
the idea of using sea water to cool it comes from the already made units out there that do exactly that, only difference between those units and my idea is my compressor would run off engine, downside to that is only having ac when running so third idea is a generator tiny portable unit just to run the ac unit and a inverter for normal operations , they draw about 9 amps so .....