1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
its a 82.. the fun is about to start just grabbed some grinding disks :) might even do it in just a man thong to prove i can take the itch :)~, lol not!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LOL! well that 82 will take you places!!! Maybe even crabbing. In regards to man thong no pics required. :eek:Was
the tank on a platform? Man look at all those BIG stringers.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
pfft it;s nothing compared to that "boatload" of stringers you had to work on :) see what i did there? :) it had 1/4 inch plywood rasing it off floor that was it and was wrapped in plastic

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So, i looked over the tank , it looks great no pitting on the bottom and only a small pit on the top that looks like it could be filled, debateing the stringers since they were cedar and in great shape if i should just go the wood route and redo them or upgrade to composites.... the wood ones were 30 yrs old and still close to flawless , seemed that where they made the mistake was stapling through the top of the stringer to lay down next piece of wood it allowed moisture there. and of course unsealed screw holes where some one mounted something along the years.
luckily the stringers came out in one piece so i can use for a template, that makes it a tad bit easier either way i go .

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Stringers??!! I don't se no stinkin strinkers!

3701ab3d787af07b02e68d088ebb8a64.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
guess i better make y'all proud now im famous and all ... don't feel bad someone has to clap as i go by and wave :)

looking hard for a tank replacement , it might wind up just having to get one made but would really like to go to a poly tank...
sam, after finding your video it cleared up a ton for me for making the stringers !
Grinding starts tomorrow!.... ugh

chevymaher

Commander
guess i better make y'all proud now im famous and all ... don't feel bad someone has to clap as i go by and wave :)

I know your one of my boating hero's here. Knock one out in record time. Move on to the next boat. You need a stopwatch to measure progress. A sundial on a cloudy day works fine for me.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I know your one of my boating hero's here. Knock one out in record time. Move on to the next boat. You need a stopwatch to measure progress. A sundial on a cloudy day works fine for me.

well, this weather hasn't been allowing me much in the way of grinding but hope to get on it. im debating to get a tent built to take that out of the equation lol

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So what are you thinking about in regards to stringer material? 65 here today and snow on Sat.? go figure geez.
Get rollin, get rained on then snow and ice all in 3 days.
BUT there is daylight when I come home from work and that's a big plus.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
im really unsure because the wood lasted 30 yrs and was 99% still good but then i do like the idea of sea cast or arjay and never worry about them again, i guess it really comes down to weight , cant figure out what one would be lightest .
degreasing hull today before i start grinding ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sea cast is slightly lighter than plywood but much heavier on your pocket book ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah as i just found out, i want to go with lumber anyways , i think that would be better , yes no ?
going to go with 2x8x12 instead of the 1x8x12 that it originally had in it. was my thoughts

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i came up with needing around 28 gallons to do stringers and what not , that's way too expensive for my pocket

chevymaher

Commander
yeah as i just found out, i want to go with lumber anyways , i think that would be better , yes no ?
going to go with 2x8x12 instead of the 1x8x12 that it originally had in it. was my thoughts

I would pick up the 2X8 and then the 1X8. Huge increase in weight. Staggering amount. I was thinking along the same lines till I had one in one hand and the other in the other.

If you want more strength use more 1708 layers. Being a true hillbilly I torture tested CSM and various thicknesses of 1708 learning way back when I got my first glass. Part of the learning curve. Got scraps and extra resin from layout, got to do something with it.

Gave them the leverage test attached 2 4X4's and ripped them apart. And bash test with the 20 lb sledge. Just had to see for myself so I knew in my heart what this stuff was about. I am just a big kid I know.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah it was just the 1x8 was knotty as hell however they were tight so i guess that's a plus, still not done considering the pourable route just hankering atm