Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

chevymaher

Commander
It is bittersweet like graduating high school. On one hand your happy because you know you did it. On the other your melancholy because you know it is over.

This site the people and the projects have been a big part of my life since I joined.

A big thanks to everyone for all the help and encouragement during this project.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Whiff whiff whats that smell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh yea...

Another project! You'll need a bigger boat soon! :watermelon:

chevymaher

Commander
The video all the dash and floor stuff going on. I was cruising and getting a shot for here. It was clear ahead I got the shot behind. When I turned around there was a huge debris field. So i forgot the phone and didn't turn it off. And was gassing it making evasive maneuvers. through the crap. Except when I punched it a second after I was clear.

Problem I got with a bigger boat is i don't have room to keep it in the back. My back yard is a cliff and there is only one place to keep a boat. If it was any longer it would block my door. I have enough issue getting this one in and out. I turn it with a floor jack after moving it with the lawn tractor. So I can hook the truck to it.

I am getting better at it only took a half hour to be hooked and ready this time.

chevymaher

Commander
The depth gauge came in now.

Tomorrow I go pick up sandpaper and more bodywork supplies. Since the boat is done I am still doing bodywork now.

I need some slow cure epoxy for this depth gauge. I got the pod stand for it. I do not like changing things from factory especially when they are rare. The under dash tach and the in dash broken tach will be there forever.

I will be studying up on outdrives. Mine has a loudness sounds like the dogs are hitting all the time. I am new to this so I am going to find out what is up.

Now that I am done being a Richard Breath. Norcross/Hawkeye actually are decent even if you got to e mail them to get service. They are on the job once they are alerted.

Attachments

• photo297861.jpg
    photo297861.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo297862.jpg
    photo297862.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Sounds like you are just slightly out of asjustmet on the lower shift cable , try moving the sliding bolt that it attaches to if that do t work then start over , making sure you have perfe t pre adjustments with it in foward while adjusting but there is plenty of videos to explain

chevymaher

Commander
It leaks gear oil from a weep hole so I am sure seals are in my future. I am watching a video series on doing seals now. I will watch them through a few times I am sure. The shift spool has a cap that screws on. In this guys videos it came loose under the castle nut. Made a ton of slop. That looks like a issue I may be having.

Don't matter I will learn these to.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Sounds like you are just slightly out of asjustmet on the lower shift cable , try moving the sliding bolt that it attaches to if that do t work then start over , making sure you have perfe t pre adjustments with it in foward while adjusting but there is plenty of videos to explain

ugh sorry for typos i was on my phone lol

chevymaher

Commander
ugh sorry for typos i was on my phone lol
Typo's I am a hillbilly and can't read I never noticed LOL.

I adjusted it again and it is alot quieter except really revving it. It does it in or out of gear. Revving I spent alot of time making sure it was in the engine compartment or out side the boat. It is definitely outside on the outdrive.

As you heard in the video it didn't make this noise in gear under power. Just freewheeling on muffs or in nuetral.

I held the prop and locked it in gear. I put my hand in there and moved the shifter eliminating the cables as a source of slop. There is alot of slop. Making me lean to the shift dog like the video I watched. It does adjust out but not completely. Leading me to believe it is the drive and it is just a slop issue.

I am no stranger to building engines. This is a new noise i only heard in boats.

I talked to the admiral she is saying don't worry you will figure it out. I have top clearance to buy new outdrive and or motor if need be.

I just dont want something to happen and have to tow it in. LOL for all I know nothing may be wrong it is just new to me. I just want to contunie to use it this year. This winter it has to come apart to replace seals anyway. I can inspect the parts. It did have moisture in the oil when I drained it. So it needs seals and i got to but a bunch of outdrive tools.

Get this depth finder in and move on to prop testing for proper pitch. It is under pitched now.Nail it form a dead stop it goes onto plane and full speed in just 3-4 seconds. That is wrong. LOL with the trim adjusted up it acted like it was going to launch into the air. Out of control. With the tilt all the way down it was maxxing the rpm's. So it is gonna need more. This engine has a strong low and mid range. Guys at the landing commented it sounded real good under power.

I just see the remainder of this year sorting out these issues and tuning her.

The admiral and i have for years talked about getting a piece of land and a building/barn for the cars I drag home all the time. I think we need to look harder now. So I can drag a big boat home. If i got a bigger boat i would want a bedroom and kitchen and bath. Like the big bayliner of my deceased brother in laws I showed a picture of. It had Nice bath 2 beds and a nice kitchen. with a 3rd sleeping area in the fold out in there. One to cruise and one to camp in.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
cool, here is the thing to remember when going up in boats.. its a disease that ends badly.
a single person can launch a 21 and under no problem and without much hassle , once you get over that you need 2 people really , then another and anotherIi have always had a personal belief that after 22 ft its 1 person per ten ft of boat needed to safely take it in and out again I am sure there are different opinions but as boats get bigger they are also used less.

chevymaher

Commander
That is exactly why I liked this size boat. I can do it all by myself. Big enough for the biggest waters we got here. Worst we deal with is barge wake. You see what I am doing cruising along lollygagging. Looking at the sides and animals. Park fish a little. Anchor park what ever it is in a boat.

It is horrible right now on the river the storms got everything in the water. I just had to go a little and see if the boat was okay and everything worked.

We getting our next batch of storms. Then I gonna do like my buddy says give it a few days for the trash to wash down to the next lock. I already itching to go back out. This time fill the cooler with drinks and snacks.

My buddy with the bayliner told me no worries he knows the man who peddles boat parts around here. if anything is wrong we can get parts LOL.

So I am on my way now. I will go out my experience and confidence will grow. I got a place to get my parts. I am getting hooked up now in the boating circle.

LOL I look forward to going out when there isnt a ton of wood in the water.

I was playing with my depth finder downstairs some today in between my chiors and work.

My new tow mater is on the way now the tahoe. Plan is use the dragon rest of the summer. Sell her as snow breaks. In the mean time rust proof the tahoe undercoat and seal the bottom. So I dont go though what i did with the durango. I gonna miss that old girl when she is gone. I had her alot of years.

But the bright side is no rust. More power. Locker front axle and limited slip posi in the back. My brother bought it new. He had to upgrade to a big block suburban to pull his baja. I get the tahoe. matching trucks to same color.

chevymaher

Commander
Taking the new Tow Mater to show my buddy with the bayliner. He is letting me borrow his 21 prop see what my boat thinks about that.

It is clear today. I said want me to get the boat ready and you can go to the admiral. She said no later we going shopping today LOL. Tomorrow and the next day thunderstorms. Like Mickey said it is evil for boats this year nothing but rain here. I am over it I got the rest of my life to boat. Off to play and talk about the splash with my buddy. Adjust his reverse on his boat

chevymaher

Commander
Good thing it is boating weather till dec here most of the time. Here is our radar right now. Severe thunderstorms LOL. But the carport is keeping her dry.

If it rains less enough to get in the boat. I will fool with prepping the depth gauge install tomorrow. Today it is raining all day.

Attachments

• photo298109.jpg
    photo298109.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Congrats dude. Awesome journey thus far tagging along. I feel your pain with the rain and a muddy debris filled river. We’ve had a lot of flooding here, not good boating weather. Hopefully it breaks soon, I’m going nuts!!!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I can only imagine how bad you wanna get out there... I'm sitting here whining cuz I can't work on it.. but you've finished and can't enjoy the fruitsof your labor...

maybe that's what hell is like... you have a fancy new boat but it never stops raining! Oh wait... that's Seattle.