Just acquired a 170 Horizon. Assembly required.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah i did same i dropped the 3.0 in for two reasons , original manuals and perf tests showed it did 30 with max load, im fine with that and like all the extra engine room and gas mileage:0

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I personally prefer the 4.3 or 5.7 for the sole reason parts are so common and easy to find. The 3.0 is the omc of mercruisr lol.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
There were more 3 0 installed in boats then any other engine, and the fact that they are still used on forklifts and other things makes parts readily available :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
the thing is the 4.3 has issues depending on the year, i haven't investigated enough not to get the year with issues and the v8 take up too much room in engine bay to make things difficult to work on , at least in my boat .

zool

Captain
The 4.3 in my "new to me" Astro motorhome is impressive....its an 87 and always starts right up, and was sitting for 2 years before me....didnt even change the fluids yet....the 3.0 in my Sea Ray 16 purrs along just fine, but lacks any real ummph..so to speak....but it is a peanut and easy to pull :D

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i cannot remember the years but there was a balancing issue if i recall that only came into play at high rpm for extended time, i will have to research now :)

chevymaher

Commander
the thing is the 4.3 has issues depending on the year, i haven't investigated enough not to get the year with issues and the v8 take up too much room in engine bay to make things difficult to work on , at least in my boat .

Like i said I have a actual pentastar cast mercruiser block in my van. I agree they are quirky and there are a million variations out there. But I been dealing with them for 15 years hot rodding and beating the crap out of mine in the van. For a successful 4.3 it needs to be a gen 1 with the added main webbing pressed in counterbalance bushings because they are pressure oiled. Roller bearings are splash oiled and get hot. There is one casting number of head that is much much more powerful than the rest 3 that are so so and the rest are down right dogs.

I outrun LS motored trucks with this silly 5 thousand lb van I got . They do well when the right combo of parts are used. Very torquey and got around 300 hp when tuned correctly. That means using the right parts and tuning. Not just any old they all the same parts attitude building.

Now that I am done singing the praises of the mini mouse. Love it and wish my van motor was in the boat. I don't see finding changeover parts for less than my first Born sons soul here. If it is mercruiser and 6-8 parts here they are gold.

I was really happy with the 3 liters performance when it went together. Had alot of power in my sized boat. Untill I washed the rings out with the carb flooding incident. It was running into the engine bogging it down. I just nailed it for 2 miles idling along to the dock. It kinda fried the old girl. She runs but power is a thing of the past and blowby is rediculous now.

I honestly see a 3 liter going back in there.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I here ya..
I wanted a V8 in my last boat, and quickly realized, the only affordable way to do a motor swap is to find a donor boat that has everything you need from motor to prop.

chevymaher

Commander
I am about to be micky Jr. Hoarder of 3 liters and 3 liter accessories.

I gave a buddy 2 lawn tractors. He let me know today where a 3 liter was that run for 100 bucks. HillBilly network deals.

I told the Admiral. She said the one we got runs, just buy a new one. I like orders like that.

I thinking get it anyway and just put it down there with the other many many engines trans and assorted other parts. See if he got everything still or he already scrapped the boat. If he does I be taking anything i can get off of it for spare parts.

Got to get the spare parts base up if i gonna have this thing.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
atm i only have 1 sbc 350 4 bolt main on a engine stand , i tossed out all the 3.0 parts after finding out its cheaper to buy reman then do machine shop and stuff, i just couldn't part with the sbc 4 bolt lol

chevymaher

Commander
winter.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
i don't even know what that means!

It is in the 60's here. Water level in the river isn't back to normal yet. So debris is to much to go out. Predicted thunderstorms the next 2 weeks. And we at the point temps drop or may not for a while. But for all intents and purposes it is over.

It is about time to fool with the trailer some more. Paint it make it presentable. It is actually in pretty good shape since I did the bunkers.

I been collecting fishing gear for the boat. I got mask and snorkels and fins for me and my son.

Admiral is very happy with the boat and me learning to use it. She is ready for next spring now. She was raised on the ocean and her biggest concern was sea worthiness. Well I made it back alive enough now she is satisfied it is safe.

At the family reunion i was talking to my uncles. Being a newby my boat has seen much much more water time than any of theirs this year.

We are getting a work bonus that will be the new engine this winter. The old one is still kicking but seen better days.

I am working on the new Towmater still. The long distance towing rig. I want to take the boat to the lakes all around here next year. So I can fish and dive/snorkel. And the biggie so when the river is all jacked up I can go to a lake. Most are almost a hour drive from me here the nice ones.

The admirals thing is houses. Like mine is the chevelle and boat. She been window shopping houses with big detached garages. I told her look by lakes or closer to the river. Ocean wouldn't hurt my feeling either.

I need to go put a charger on the boat and tractor today. It is about time for the boats fall wax before it is wrapped up for the nasty weather.

Pull the motor and outdrive and bring them in. So I got something to fool with once the ice comes. And it will.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ugh i love the change of seasons but not sure i could handle it going much below 60 :) I don't even have a thermo that reads below 60 it just goes 60 and then 59 there is a snowsuit guy!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
NJ is open nearly all season. ......OCEAN
[h=3]NJ SALTWATER FISHING REGULATIONS OVERVIEW 2018[/h]
BluefishOPEN15NANo Closed Season
BonitoOPENNANANo Closed Season
CodOPEN1022.00No Closed Season
FlukeCLOSEDNANA
LingOPENNANANo Closed Season
PorgyOPEN509.00No Closed Season
Sea BassCLOSED1012.50Season Opens 2018-10-08
Sea RobinOPENNANANo Closed Season