1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
nice i briefly entertained restoring the wailer back to factory then realised it just was too much to try to do with the condition of the hull, and paint, cant really sand on these much because the glass is so thin , anyways i was looking for older outboards period of around 62-63 and man it was dry out there

love the old mercs and i think it would look perfect!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just know it's not electric start...

Be a good fit, I dont know about that specfic Merc 45, but some of the similar age OBs can get expensive quick w replacement parts, esp electrical

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just know it's not electric start...

Be a good fit, I dont know about that specfic Merc 45, but some of the similar age OBs can get expensive quick w replacement parts, esp electrical

Trying to pin down the year . The guy is supposed to get the model number . He didn't know the year ..
Not having elect start is not quite as important as having FNR .. I have not seen an image of the side cowling cover with the lettering on it yet . That still had the same front cover plate ..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just be careful when looking at the old Mercs. A 'Rude of the same era has almost full parts availability and they are easy to work on. Mercs sometimes need tinkering ALL the time.

My local outboard shop will fix anything and everything (he's also on the web selling classic parts) but he always makes a face when someone brings in one of Mr Kiekhafers old gems.

oldrem

Commander
Serial number of a Merc tells you everything, but have to agree with Jim re parts - OMC much easier to maintain from that era

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thinking like 60-62 ...

Just got onto face boog boat stuff and the stuff is unending. They have some 1955' johnsons up for under a couple hundred bucks.
I have done NO research but yikes their are a lot of goods there.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep but the 35 hp and up are hard to find . I did find a Thompson wood boat with twin long shaft 57 Golden Javelins on it .
4500 on an Aluminum trailer ...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yep but the 35 hp and up are hard to find . I did find a Thompson wood boat with twin long shaft 57 Golden Javelins on it .
4500 on an Aluminum trailer ...

My buddy bought a "brand new" 1957 Penn Yan with a Golden Javelin, sitting on a '57 classic tear drop fender TeeNee. As the story goes, the original owner bought it in 1957, used it once and then put it in the garage and covered it with a canvas tarp. He died before it could be used a second time and it sat there unused and well preserved. Fifty years later his wife went into a nursing home and the kids sold the house and boat. Naturally the tires were rotted and the fuel system need a lot of work. He wouldn't tell me what he paid, but he was smiling when I asked him.

My oldest motor is a 1919 Evinrude Rowboat motor that I bought from an old lady who was selling the house and contents, also on her way into a nursing home. As her story went, she was from Wisconsin and her husband courted her in rented boats using that motor back before they got married. He had bought it new. They moved to my home town in 1951 and moved into a brand new house. Her husband hung the old motor right up against the garage wall and it hadn't been touched since. I was delighted to find the motor, even though the gas tank had several nail holes in it from when the house was vinyl sided. (easy fix)

I won't tell you either what I paid for it.....LOL. She just request that I send her a picture of the motor after I restored it. And of course I complied.

They are out there - you just need patience and never let up the search.

IMG_1846web.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My buddy bought a "brand new" 1957 Penn Yan with a Golden Javelin, sitting on a '57 classic tear drop fender TeeNee. As the story goes, the original owner bought it in 1957, used it once and then put it in the garage and covered it with a canvas tarp. He died before it could be used a second time and it sat there unused and well preserved. Fifty years later his wife went into a nursing home and the kids sold the house and boat. Naturally the tires were rotted and the fuel system need a lot of work. He wouldn't tell me what he paid, but he was smiling when I asked him.

Sounds like my Buddy Ron. bought a house on 3 acres with a 2 car attached garage and a 6-car dettatched garage because it was set up perfect for a car buy. the owner of the place was an old Hot Rodder. Managed to get the Willys, a duece, and the belair loaded and a few other items packed up, however in the corner was a '58 Corvette with the old magnesium slotted wheels that were big in the 60s. the car sat so long it wouldnt roll from rusted brakes and every bit of rubber was rotted so the sellers offered the 'vette to my buddy Ron for $1k on closing day.

took him a year of rebuilding all the systems on the car to get it running, however he is rocking a near original 58 vett and has taken it on the Hot Rod Power Tour a few times.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
love story's like that!

As a teenager my buddy and I used to go to a local marina out in the boondocks and rent a little tinny for $5 a day. Grandpa gave me his 10HP to use.

One Spring the marina owner decided to clear out all the old boats on shore that had been abandoned. He gave abandoned titles for them. All went quickly except for one old 25' hardtop inboard cruiser that was a 1930's vintage. He charged $100 each for Summer and Winter storage, and launching and retrieving was included. The deal was if you didn't take it with you you had to pay the $100 for the Summer dockage (or on the hard till it was seaworthy). If you kept it, you needed to pay for Winter storage too, or get it off the property.

I had my Dad look at the boat and he nixed it completely. At the time I was saving to build a wooden runabout, but i thought in the long run this might be cheaper. Since Dad said it probably wouldn't float and the engine was probably stuck, I took his advice.

We watched the new "owner's" endeavors all Summer. He painted it inside and out, put in new plugs and wires, changed the oil, etc. In other words minimal investment. On Saturdays when we rented the tinny we would always stop over and talk to the guy. When he said he was launching next week we made sure to be there for the christening.

It was a double planked hull. She took in a few drops around the stuffing box, but that was all. The engine wouldn't start but it had no spark. A tractor dealer down the road had a coil and once that was installed the engine started right up and purred like a kitten.

The guy kept it at that marina for 3 or 4 years and then the marina owner died and the place was closed. All the boats left and I never saw that one again.

Life is full of missed opportunities...

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well now I got another motor to restore :facepalm: I gotta get organized and get my garage cleaned up ..
compression on the Merc 110 , 115, 112, 115 ... Just using the pull rope cold ..
I will have to break the lower unit down and replace the seals .. It did have some water in it ..
‘Got the original shift controls and a few other parts and pieces including an extra starter ..
‘Yeah ,I know this model didn’t come with one but the guys fil /original owner changed the parts needed and installed a starter .. :)
It is a bit crusty around the edges but nothing I can’t make pretty again ..
I was able to get it down to 350.00 bucks ..
I got a golf cart to paint first for the Admiral before I can really start tearing it down ...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Google "Laing's Outboards, North Tonawanda, NY". If he doesn't have any parts you might need, nobody has.