1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam,
Since I've retired I'm really starting to feel the issues of growing old. IT SUCKS!!! My brain says "You can do that"" Then my body says..."Are you Crazeeeee" Then I tell it to shut up and go ahead and so it anyway!!! Next day I can't get out of bed!!!! Like Mikey Mantle said. "If i'd known I was gunna live this long, I'd taken better care of myself!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Update ..
I got cleared o go back to work last Thursday.. No BLT’s . Feels good to walk up a stair case without your legs feeling like jello ... I still find myself wanting to do more like Woody said .. I got my son to get the deck pieces I made out of the boat so I can start the finish on them .. I got a coat of sealer on the bottom and top . Will start the varnish this week hopefully .
10 hr days at work this week so I may not get to it ..
B9BDF5A2-DAAA-4B89-9D63-09C73EFDB302.jpegC2415954-3BB8-4318-9529-80D0EA1C9EF1.jpeg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So is the wood cedar? And glad to hear you're doing better:joyous:

Last edited by a moderator:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , it’s what the bench seats were made of so I figured it would be fine for the flooring . I just grabbed some from HD . 1X4 ‘ s and planed them down a bit .. Some simple kind of crude supports underneath. Feels good and strong standing on it yet they are pretty lightweight...

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Pretty grain in those pieces! That'll look sweet!

Cheers..................Todd

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam glad to hear you are doing well! Looking forward to seeing you wrap things up on her!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys !
‘I think this is coat #3 varnish on the floor pieces . Probably a couple more and call em done . Digging into the Speeditwin soon I think .. Also need to look into and make decisions on the windshield ..
26C3B0EE-A06F-477D-9E05-B90616BB6632.jpeg

zool

Captain
Looks great Sam!........Theres always "something" to get to next when working on a boat!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Micky , Zool !
‘I agree the stuff never ends with boats . I have joined the AOMCI and trying to get some help with the Speeditwin ..
I wish I was more knowledgeable mechanically .. I may start a thread over in the J/E forum ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is a good sign! Kind of sounds like an ignition issue, however I know zero about Johns / Rudes.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Speeditwin has a pulse but still on life support ... It will run for a few seconds then backfire and shut off ..

it runs thats the starting point:) mechanical advance ? if that is a thing on that engine i bet its just not advancing or advancing too much , springs shot or something

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You advance it, the timing , by hand moving the lever left or right ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Then don't move it so far lol sounds like if backfiring through carb it's too far advance

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah It was made in 1949 . I think your right I should have retarded the timing a little after it starts but ya don’t have much time to do it . I need an extra set of hands lol !
Im gunna install the tiller handle and that should make it a bit easier to control till I get things dialed in ..