1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My varnish should be here tomorrow hopefully .. Just thinking I may just brush it on instead of spraying it . It doesn’t really take to long to brush a coat on .. Only thing is I didn’t order any brushing thinner . It says I can also use a quality mineral spirits . Is there a difference in MS? The Epifanes thinner has a lot of naphtha in it so maybe I could mix the MS and the naphtha to use for thinner for brushing ...
Do y’all think that’s a bad idea ?

zool

Captain
MS is fine, 10-20%.....its probably the main ingredient in the brushing thinner, It dries slower than Naphtha so it levels better....Naphtha is good for spraying also cuz it dries faster so less runs.

Get a few shaped good brushes (chisel, flagged, ect) and go at it ;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the ms drys slower than the naphtha. That’s why I was thinking maybe a mixture of the 2 would work .
The best of 2 worlds so to speak ...

zool

Captain
Since you will be doing alot of coats, you can play around with the mixes, its really the final 2 coats that matter.

Too much Naphtha could cause the brush marks to dry before leveling tho...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The Temps dictate the Thinner. Here's my general rule of thump 70's = Acetone or 50/50 of Acetone and MS, 80's= 50/50 mix of MS and or Acetone or Naptha, 90's = MS Basically The hotter the temps the Slower you want it to evaporate. But...I'm Really getting to be an OLDER Dumb Okie, so take that into consideration!!!:facepalm:

zool

Captain
The Temps dictate the Thinner. Here's my general rule of thump 70's = Acetone or 50/50 of Acetone and MS, 80's= 50/50 mix of MS and or Acetone or Naptha, 90's = MS Basically The hotter the temps the Slower you want it to evaporate. But...I'm Really getting to be an OLDER Dumb Okie, so take that into consideration!!!:facepalm:

It was 11 degrees here this morning Mike, so I guess Jack Daniels? :D

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thats what i figured out as well i used naptha at 50 mix at 60 and 70+ either ms or gum turpentine, turpentine i was told leaves a byproduct that crystallizes between the grain further waterproofing, not tested just what a old timer once told me , also the ms could be a mix already because there is no standard so read labels and hope they are telling you the truth lol
below is something i found long ago ....
A SOLVENT is a substance, usually liquid, that will dissolve another substance. All do-it-yourselfers buy and use a number of solvents. Some are used for cleaning, others to thin paint, shellac or varnish. Choosing the right solvent can make a job easier; using the wrong one can damage tools or a project.

Turpentine is one of the few solvents not made from petroleum distillates. It is produced by distilling the oleoresins from pine trees. It is also known as spirits of turpentine or simply turps. The best grade is called pure gum spirits of turpentine.

Turpentine has more solvency than mineral spirits. Care should be taken when using it to thin oil- or alkyd-based paints; otherwise the paint could be overthinned, which can cause it to run or drip. Even though turpentine is less toxic than petroleum-based solvents, it can still cause an allergic reaction.

Mineral spirits, also called ''white spirits'' (trade names include Varnolene and Texaco spirits), is a petroleum distillate specifically manufactured as a substitute for turpentine. Most painters prefer it as a paint thinner because it costs less, is not so sticky and has a less offensive odor than turpentine. Still, mineral spirits do have an odor that some people may find unpleasant. They may prefer to use odorless paint thinner.

Turpentine and mineral spirits are good brush cleaners, and turpentine can remove paint that has hardened slightly. Mineral spirits will dissolve only paint that is still fresh. Naphtha is a petroleum solvent similar to mineral spirits but with a greater volatility; it is used chiefly as a paint thinner or a cleaning agent. Naphtha is a more powerful solvent than mineral spirits, so less is needed to thin the same amount of paint. But it also makes paint dry faster and may make it hard to blend strokes or brush out drips.
Continue reading the main story
Naphtha is highly flammable; when using it, work in a well-ventilated area -- out-of-doors, if possible -- and wear rubber gloves and a respiratory mask. It can quickly dissolve wax layers, but naphtha can also penetrate through the wax and seep under veneer. There it will dissolve the glue, causing the veneer to loosen.

Alcohol is sold in many forms: isopropyl, methyl, wood, ethyl and denatured alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is the familiar rubbing alcohol and is formulated for external medicinal use. It is also useful for removing resinous stains on clothing and gummy tar residue on ashtrays.

Methyl alcohol is a dangerously toxic solvent not suitable for home use. It is also called wood alcohol or methanol. Pure ethyl alcohol, also called grain alcohol, ethanol and colonial spirits, is the basis for alcoholic beverages. For industrial and shop use, additives (like ethyl acetate, methanol and even gasoline) are added to ethyl alcohol, turning it into denatured alcohol.

Denatured alcohol is used for thinning shellac and cleaning brushes used to apply shellac. It can also be used to remove light pencil marks on wood.

Lacquer thinner is a blended mixture of two or more solvents. Acetone, amyl or ethyl acetate, keotone and toluene are common ingredients in lacquer thinners. Obviously, lacquer thinners are designed to thin lacquers and clean brushes and spray equipment used for lacquer finishing. But lacquer thinner is also an effective brush cleaner. It can soften and dissolve most paints even after they've hardened.

Acetone, common in lacquer thinner, is a useful solvent for anyone who works with plastics. It is effective in removing residue from plastic cements. It is the recommended thinner for polyester resins and fiberglass, and it is also useful for cleaning tools and equipment used for working with these materials.

Acetone and lacquer thinner are useful for removing paint and varnish stains on clothing made of natural fibers, but they will soften and dissolve many plastics and some synthetic fabrics. Do not use a nylon brush for applying these solvents because the acetone may attack the bristles. Both acetone and lacquer thinner are highly flammable, and both release toxic fumes, so avoid inhaling them for any length of time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It was 11 degrees here this morning Mike, so I guess Jack Daniels? :D

UHmm NO When it's that cold I recommend 190 proof White Lightning!!!
Straight Corn Moonshine

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thank god it don’t get that cold here or I would have one heck of a hangover ! ;)
Micky that was a lot of good info . Now I have a concern about using Naptha.. It said it could get under veneer and loosen the glue .. :eek:
Epifanies brushing thinner has a lot of it in it ... There is even some in the varnish itself ..
You would think if it was a problem they would put that on the label ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
id personally go with gum terp like the old men used to use , slower and yet natural so it mixes well with other natural products plus the shop will smell like pine sol :) but honestly id go scour wooden boat forum as those guys are full of know how :)

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
UHmm NO When it's that cold I recommend 190 proof White Lightning!!!
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Straight Corn Moonshine","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"263","width":"173","src":"http:\/\/tennesseelegend.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2017\/04\/WhiteLightning-394x600.jpg"**[/IMG2]

My stepfather used to get some from a local moonshiner in the mountains of North Carolina. I tried a sip one time. My throat burned so much I thought I was drinking acid. Never tried it again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My stepfather used to get some from a local moonshiner in the mountains of North Carolina. I tried a sip one time. My throat burned so much I thought I was drinking acid. Never tried it again.

you cant sip it, you need a complete shot, and need to swallow all at once.

if you sip.... it will come back up.

Having polish grand parents, grew up with this in the house

also used it to raise the octane once when at the track

spirytus-wesoly-192-proof.jpg

oldrem

Commander
you cant sip it, you need a complete shot, and need to swallow all at once.

if you sip.... it will come back up.

Having polish grand parents, grew up with this in the house

also used it to raise the octane once when at the track

spirytus-wesoly-192-proof.jpg

In the US it's the same as Everclear grain alcohol. Lots of warnings on the labels lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Eric, I still have some Door County Cherry Bounce that was made with it. the cherries do bite back.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In the US it's the same as Everclear grain alcohol. Lots of warnings on the labels lol

I remember my first drink ever was a swig of Everclear. I still remember that burning sensation.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I really don’t drink much .. I feel bad enough as it is .. I don’t need any help feeling worse .. LOL !
But I do enjoy a nice cold Bud every now and then .. That and my son makes a good whiskey sour on occasion... :joyous:
I brushed the2cnd coat on this afternoon on the top side down to the splash rail .. 25% thinned ..
‘Hopefully the wood grain should start to disappear after another coat or two..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sanded what I varnished yesterday after work ..220 grit . The rest will be 320 grit between coats .. This is gunna take a while .... Started stripping and sanding some tear drops the other day .. Traded out a little finish welding with a guy down the street . My sil used my tractor to do a little bit of stuff on the guys property in exchange .. The guy used to weld professionally and is good at it . Much better than I would have done ..