1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

Pusher

Lieutenant
Pretty cool little boat! I like the idea of a three brace frame. That four brace model probably wouldn't have been as sturdy with no reinforcement holding it from moving side to side-to-side movement.

jaggededge

Cadet
What a sweet example to start with !! Surprised at the condition. I would like to tag along with this one iff'n you don't mind.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ned I think your right . looks older than 50's models ..
Woody , Thanks I have checked out that site . I may join their group ...
Pusher , that's a good point !
jaggedege and gsxrdan , Welcome aboard !

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if this would be a proper way to make the crack repair or not ...I have not confirmed if the outside veneer was cracked or not yet .. I really don't like the way the trailer is set up . I may get a different one more suited for support .idk ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SPBjnzE-E
The good thing is whatever patch made it will be probably painted on both sides to hide the patch ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Motor number 6039-26688 Evinrude Speeditwin ...
Can't read the model number on the ID tag on the boat but it has the number 801 1 ..The last 1 is lower case and at the top right engraved into the transom ...

Ned L

Commander
That Evenrude S/N puts your engine at a 1950 Speedtwin, 22.5 hp.

Ned L

Commander
I would have some concerns with the techniques shown in that West System video. Any plywood will be a flat sheet panel that you start with. Pretty much every place on your hull has some curvature to it (either simple curve or compound curve, and plywood cannot be formed into a compound curve.). Installing a flat plywood 'patch' will always be visible as a flat area inserted into a curved shape.

How bad is the crack on the inside veneer?
If you get under the boat and push on various places where the crack is and near by do you notice any difference in the flexing and deflecting between one side of the boat and the other?

If you feel that something really needs to be done I might suggest a reagional area of very light cloth set in epoxy. Two to four ounce cloth will be so light that it could be feathered in at the edges and not even visible. (Also completely reversible with a heat gun if need be.)

Last edited:

harleyman1975

Ensign
I will chime in and say that plywood boats are built with strips of plywood in an X pattern. that is how you make the compound curves. I do think that if you carefully sand it down all the way to wood you can epoxy encapsulate that boat and it will last a long, long time. Will it be Original? No. But you are not talking about a $10,000.00 boat either. Make it seaworthy and attractive and use it and enjoy it. Put your money into a better trailer. the bunks should reach all the way to the transom.

Ned L

Commander
I will chime in and say that plywood boats are built with strips of plywood in an X pattern.

Ahhhh,.... No. That is not how a hot molded boat (like this) is build.

The only plywood used in the construction of this boat is for the transom. The rest of the boat is built of solid dimensional lumber, (though thin lumber "veneer" for the hull). The net result of the process is effectively "plywood" for the hull, but plywood is not used to build it.

This might help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hgRQuvg60

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ahhhh,.... No. That is not how a hot molded boat (like this) is build.

The only plywood used in the construction of this boat is for the transom. The rest of the boat is built of solid dimensional lumber, (though thin lumber "veneer" for the hull). The net result of the process is effectively "plywood" for the hull, but plywood is not used to build it.

This might help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hgRQuvg60

Same video you sent Sam and he linked in post #18.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thought maybe you meant to link a different video....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got it in the garage thankfully ... It's supposed to rain tonight Had to clean up junk and move junk around but they both fit with room to spare . I think the MFG may be a little jealous so I gave her a bath to smooth things over ... I hope they get along and not fight ! :joyous:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks for weather report , havent been watching running to cover all of my stuff lol