1971 17' Bell Boy Runabout

Pusher

Lieutenant
I'm guessing this is the model number....?

image_252596.jpg

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
My brother suggested using a timing light to see if I was getting spark on all the leads before writing off the two parts and spending money.

I'm going to do that and then clean the carbs if I am getting spark and just fous on getting the motor running before replacing parts.

It ran when I bought it, and it ran for 5 minutes last season while I was doing some pre-splash testing.

If anyone has any other suggestions on getting the beast started I'd be happy to hear them or if there's a thread on bringing a motor to life after sitting, I'll read that too.

Side note: when I pump the primer bulb it doesn't get hard. I just hear the feeder line bubbling in the fuel tank. I tried a second bulb and it des the same thing. Is this normal? I don't remember one of these ever doing this. I can see the fuel in th fuel filter move when I squeeze the bulb.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
After failing to repair some electrical on my current motor, I decided to pick up a new (used) motor. I currently have a 1986 mercury 60hp on the back and the new motor is a 1975 50hp Evinrude. If the bolt pattern doesn't line up, is there any reason I can't bolt a c channel onto the transom and have a slightly larger c channel bolted to the evinrude?

This way I'd be able to reuse the standard mercury bolt pattern and could also make adjustments to the Evinrude's height if need be.

index.jpg

(Is there any reason I can't delete the Url address?)

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
A weird quirk of vB5 is that once you hit the add a link icon, you cant change your mind and not add a link.

Mods cant even go in and comoletely delete a link posted in error. We HAVE to add a link back if we delete your link.

Frustrating and irratating. Been addressed many times amongst the Mods and Admin. No workaround from vB currently.

Pusher

Lieutenant
My office insists that we don't need a PDF software upgrade, so I have no ability to merge, delete or rotate individual pages. It's the little quirks that will drive you nuts in the office :)
I'll just keep that in mind going forward. Thanks JB!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Is my trailer too short for the boat? I'd say the tongue weight is probably 120-150 lbs, maybe more... Totally guessing.

The transom is also about a foot off the back of the frame.
image_257768.jpg

Pusher

Lieutenant
looks like you got a foot up front you can move things

Is the transom supossed to be over a roller? I've been reading a lot of threads lately and everyone seems to be working on their trailers. I've seen references to the rear, and then the tongue needing to be longer. I've come to the conclusion that I know nothing about trailers, specifically CG, roller placement, and tongue weight/length.

In fact, I am getting the sense that if I'm a new owner then I should be checking or replacing the bearings. Another thing I don't know. :-/

Ned L

Commander
Very nice work!
Your arch looks great, however on a small light boat like this I would really recommend being very careful about putting weight high up. You will find it doesn't take much to really raise the center of gravity. (That's not a good thing, it negatively affects the stability.)

Pusher

Lieutenant
Hmmm, I'm glad you said something! I'll keep that in mind if the wife decides to give my boat a shot. Taking a sharp turn would probably finish the day right then and there.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Thanks guys. I plan to finish it before April 15th when my wife's tax season wraps up. The last of the parts are showing up this week.

Any thoughts on the trailer would be appreciated. The plan is to tow it 200 miles across the state and over a pass to swap motors at my brother's house.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Is the transom supossed to be over a roller?

It should be closer than a foot. I'd be concerned about getting hook in the hull. However, you've already got a good bit of tongue weight so you may be need to move your axle to accommodate (if it's adjustable).

Pusher

Lieutenant
It should be closer than a foot. I'd be concerned about getting hook in the hull. However, you've already got a good bit of tongue weight so you may be need to move your axle to accommodate (if it's adjustable).

I hadn't considered the axle EZ. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Well, after my Mercury motor had electrical issues I decided I didn't want to put money down for electronics when I didn't know anything another the mechanical parts. I had my brother pick up a 1975 50hp Evinrude. I took it to the lake today for a test run and after a bit of monkeying around the starter plunger stopped engagig the bendex. Does anyone know what's involved with working on outboard starters?

Pusher

Lieutenant
I did some light reading while on lunch and it looks like my first step is to bypass the solenoid and see if the plunger engages. If not then I've ruled the solenoid out.

Step two would be to dissaemble the starter and look for the cause...?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I also was wondering if anyone has experience with Attwood's universal quick disconnect fuel fittings. I like the idea of eliminating potential fuel leaks inside the boat. I'd prefer to eliminate the conventional fuel tank connections altogether as they are so failure prone. I'm actually surprised the EPA hasn't gone after this 60 year old technology yet. Anyway, I see our sponsor is offering them and I need to upgrafe my old tank.

Thanks in advance!

Pusher

Lieutenant
The to-do list is quite short at this point.

#1 - Fix starter
#2 - Replace fuel tank barbs
#3 - Replace carburator gaskets
#4 - Adjust trailer rollers
#5 - Install speedometer

Later I'll hook up the ezsteer bracket, fit up the bimimi top, and make a step from the tongue to the bow and fit up my fender baskets to the tower with soe sort of quick disconnect for tarping.