1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

put primer coat on wood because we in florida are about to get hammered with rain and id rather re sand then lose wood at this point if I lose tarp, ohh and camera problem was easy fix , case was blocking it when I flipped it open lol!

Attachments

• photo245433.jpg
    photo245433.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo245435.jpg
    photo245435.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo245436.jpg
    photo245436.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I need to figure out a good filler material besides epoxy no epoxy on boat just pl premium and screws stainless
and a way to make the rub rail I can use 1,1/4 lattice strips and scarf them and laminate them but they will be kinda soft.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
so glad I covered wood yesterday tarp sprung 2 pin holes so far ugh ! but rest of its holding up so far , tarp one month old makes no sense

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
storm passed now for sanding and more sanding and filling :)
if anyone has anything to interject feel free as I feel like I'm just talking to mehself :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Not much to say but the work looks like it's coming along pretty well Mick. What are you trying to use the filler for. Epoxy, cabosil, chopped strand makes up a great peanut butter filler. Bonds right to the poly. I've never used premixed kitst,I like making my own mix up so I can have it to the thickness I need depending on the application.
Some places have kits, I'm sure Iboats carries the west Marine Rx line.
WEST MARINE
Marine Rx Epoxy Repair Kit, 2 oz.

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
that one picture of the bow area where the two pieces of wood meet I originally tried to router it , didn't like it so filled it but wasn't sure I was trying to stay away from epoxy or fiberglass poly resin on topside as to test a theory , I went with pl and wood dust from sander
I want to see how long it lasts with just paint and pl premium, if it lasts 5 yrs I will be pleased and by then I will have enough saved to build a boat I want, I like wooden boats personally or 100 % fiberglass boats but after tearing down this one I no longer have any faith in others work so I will b e building my next one with a set of plans or I will build my dream boat a Chesapeake dead rise. grew up in edgewater Maryland on the south river and loved those boats .
when I build a boat I plan on keeping forever I will go full epoxy route as I feel folks will have vastly more knowledge then as to longevity and how well it has held up

the coolest part about this is I will have a fiberglass hull with wood topside giving me both of my favorites I don't like the newer sunfish type boats where you sit so high off the water.

to date I don't think I have had this much fun on a project ever even when I was itching from grinding the hull I had a smile cause I knew id know every part of this boat by time I was through.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
All true be that you said. Never heard of the "Dead Rise" but looked into it and sure 'nough looks like the lines of a DownEaster, Now there's a boat line I really like and would love to own.
Keep on grinding!!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
omg love downeaster and the lobster boats but there is something about a fat assed back dragging no freeboard deadrise I just think looks sexy I p[robebly prefer mixture of the two, I have seen a couple like that that had nice down easter cabins and pilot house but then had the hull of a c. deadrise .

on another note got more sanding done today this acrylic paint ugh fml any tips on sanding it out and smoothing? I think because of tarp I have gotten every bit of dust in yard and bugs in the paint lol funny it don't look bad but I guess I'm just used to going for a car type finish and am asking too much from wood and acrylic

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

funny we worry so much about airpockets and doing it as well as the real guys do and this is what I found while cutting up top although it did last 36 yrs so I guess I will cut them slack lol

Attachments

• photo245832.jpg
    photo245832.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo245833.jpg
    photo245833.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
decided best way to do rub rails was steam box so I built one and going great!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

ohh don't mind how crappy it looks I tossed together in 30 minutes cause I was trying to hurry ill make a better end cap later :)
it will be even with the deck when I perma attach I just attached there to get a idea if I wanted it raised and naah I don't like it raised I'm afraid it will trap water there

Attachments

• photo246213.jpg
    photo246213.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246214.jpg
    photo246214.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246215.jpg
    photo246215.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
trying to decide how to do the rubrail was thinking of going with 1" black nylon rope and router a half moon in the rubrail to set it in any thoughts?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
my uscg capacity sticker was gone when I got the boat if anyone has a pic of one from there boat same year and model I would appreciate it

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice box! I usually get my tarps from Harbor freight. They last pretty well for me. When they tear I gorilla tape them. As far as the rope goes I'll be guessing you want it to be able to be removed. Gain access if the cap has to come off. I think they make a rubber gasket that takes the rope.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
naah the caps perma now pl premium :) I had bolted first set if inwales but then decided I would pl them and bolt them then built on that so yeah a chainsaw or a crusher lol, this boat wont ever need stringers again in our lifetimes most likely

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well what I did was using 1" pressure treated lattice strips, I laminated to 3/4" thickness around inside of the hull lip, after sanding with 24 grit and wiping with acetone I then took and pl premium the inside strip to hull , also I put stainless steel screws and locknuts through as well , then I took and made 2" spacers and repeated the first process making inwale all pl and screwed together using coated screws acceptable for use with pressure treated wood.At this time I took and layed 1/2" acx exterior plywood around top and got underneath and scribed the lines to cut decking inside and outside boat, I used 2x2 as bracing from floor to wood to keep it level and in place while marking up as I work alone

next I took and using 1/4" underlayment (i test soaked a piece for 5 days in water it did not peel or delaminate) wrapped 1 2ftx8 ft section around front to get that radius done and took down sides to back.
using pl premium and screws I attached to inwale then I cut it down to size I wanted for profile (probably could have precut but I was worried id not like or get it set up wrong so working by myself this was safest method.
next I laminated another 2ft sheet around and then a 3rd from front to back creating 3/4 or close to 3/4 thickness walls , made sure I had camber on walls. did it by look. next made front window openings/bulkhead and support and put that in place .

next cutting main bulkhead and placed
then I capped cabin top with first cedar planking then 2 sheets of 1/4 " underlayment laminated all and then wrapped edge with 1/4" pressure treated lattice strip for drip edge prewired cabin light between the laminations to make sure I had it hidden .
The rub rails I had to steam bend using 1/3 select pine.
now I'm in process of painting and finishing but again I'm not using anything more then restore 10x for walking deck and baehr acrylic paint for rest inside decking I haven't decided because x10 is not good for fiberglass. I will probably use a bedliner product and then paint with acrylic .
I will send pics of the inner workings as soon as I take them ,
I still have inner bracing to do , from chine to the deck they will have pb and glass to hold them in place.
but I have 2 bulkheads in place so I know its got support for now but still if it was a bigger boat I would have made them before going forward with topside replacement since this boat doesn't have ribs for support.
this is first time I ever did anything like this but I have been keeping eye on weight and thinking strength as I go right now I'm estimating I have added 450 pounds to weight of boat however subtracting the original top I guestimate I have added 100 lbs over the existing weight but when I factor in the nearly 200 lbs of rotten foam I pulled from sides and floor and replaced with good I'm feeling ok so far . I do think I will have less carrying capacity and I am fine with that because its a 17 footed that's a 2person boat imho not 6 people as capacity tag said lol.
if you see a potential problem please speak up I would greatly appreciate and look forward to imput pics to follow as soon as I upload to web
tools so far:
4 1/2grinder with 24 grit to 100 grit sander pads
sawzaw
router with facing bit and 1/2 round bit
skilsaw 7/14 with fine toothed blade
100 clamps
2" spring loaded and 10 of the Milwaukee vise grip type
laser for leveling from port to starboard
measuring tape
t square for drywall cutting ,
regular square and speed square
drill / bits for torx
large caulk gun
orbital sander
belt sander
jigsaw
materials to this point:
36 lattice strips pressure treated (hand picked knot free) went through 100 to find them lol
11 sheets of 1/4 " underlayment
4 sheets 1/2 abx exterior plywood
11 1x3 select pine 8 ft length
10 large tubes of pl premium
underlayment floor adhesive polyurethane glue for laminating use it all or throw out it keeps hardening after you open even with lid on it

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

first coat of restore 10x I know folks have had issues with it but I made sure to sand with 60 grit and then took and wiped down 3 times to be sure it was clean and primered so if it fails me and rustolium will have words :)

Attachments

• photo246458.jpg
    photo246458.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246459.jpg
    photo246459.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246460.jpg
    photo246460.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246461.jpg
    photo246461.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
post some pics of your custom dash layouts if you have , I'm trying to come up with a good dash for the boat , thanks