Restore/Update 1963 Glastron V143 JetFlite

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Because the helm station is quite constricted on the right side, the motor control was never mounted there. Instead, it was mounted on the starboard side of the center console near the front. The original control cable routing had them lying on the floor angling toward the starboard rear corner. This routing was not usually a problem because passengers were not often carried back there and when the tonneau covers were in place, the cables were not visible.

A more finished look for the rear compartment was desired so the decision was made to route the cables under the floor using a recessed channel. A tube could not be used because the size of the cable ends would not easily push through a tube, so an open channel was designed, using a gasketed cover to close the channel.

The channel was made by using a length of pvc tubing with 45 degree elbows bonded to the ends. The elbows were the same ID size as the tubing to provide more uniform sizing at the ends. The outer tube ends and the inner elbows were ground at an angle to provide more area for bonding the parts and they were attached using epoxy resin.

IMG_0115.JPG One elbow bonded to the tube.

IMG_0113.JPG The elbow/tube assembly.

After bonding the parts, the assembly was attached to a 2X4 board and run through the table saw to open the top of the tube assembly and create a channel. Then a surround was cut from ? inch plywood and bonded to the channel so the surface of the plywood was flush with the open top of the channel.

IMG_0117.JPG Cutting the tube and elbows to create a channel.

IMG_0120.JPG The channel with the wood flange that will be bonded to it.

The location of the channel was established for its under floor positioning. The foam filler and small portions of the starboard stringers were cut away so the top of the channel assembly would be at the same level as the tops of the stringers and foam. The channel was then bonded into place using resin.

IMG_0156.JPG
The channel/flange assembly lying beside the cavity that was cut into the foam and stringers.

IMG_0159.JPG The channel/flange assembly bonded into place.

Cutting into the tops of the stringers weakened them slightly in those areas. Once the channel was bonded into place some or all of that strength was restored. Bonding of the floor into place further stiffened the entire structure. When the channel cover is screwed into place, this will add more stiffness to that area. Summary - it is felt that the structural strength of the bottom was not compromised by the addition of the cable channel assembly.

After installation of the cable channel, the floor panels could be installed. The floor was comprised of seven panels for easier fitting and installation. To install each panel, the tops of the foam and stringers in that area were fully wetted with a resin/microballoon mixture and the bottom of the floor panel was wetted with plain resin. The side edges were left dry until the main area had cured. They were then filled with a resin/microballoon mixture. The resin/microballoon mixture was selected as it could be slightly more viscous and better filled any small gaps or cavities. After complete wetting the floor panel was laid into place and weighted during resin cure. No screws were used to attach the floor panels to the stringers, so there is no place for water entry into the wood.

IMG_0162.JPG The start of floor panel installation.

The floor panels were cut so the floor overlapped the edges of the cable channel surround by about ? inch all around. This overlap allowed a good resin bond and seal all around the perimeter of the cable channel to prevent water entry into the bottom structure.

IMG_0164.JPG A closer view showing the overlap of the floor panels to the channel flange.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 2

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Continuing the build of the floor structure, the forward floor panels were bonded into place in the same manner as the rear panels. Then a single strip of woven fiberglass was laid along the floor edge to hull chine joint and wetted into place.

IMG_0167.JPG

Attachments

• image_255390.jpg
    image_255390.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Completing the cable channel will be added on the next posting. The next part of the project will be to locate, drill, and tap the mounting holes for the seats, center console, and tonneau cover support. As a start to mark the locations of these components, one seat, the console, and the tonneau cover support were positioned on the floor.

Kern Fischer

Seaman
After the cover was fully prepped for size, shape, and screws, it was painted as it will be exposed during any servicing of the cable channel. The cable channel, its flange, and the floor surrounding it were also painted for the same reason. The rest of the floor in the cockpit area was left unpainted as it will have carpeting glued down to cover the resin coated plywood.

After painting, the channel cover had two strips of 1/8 inch thick rubber glued to the underside to seal against the channel flange. Each end of the channel has a ? O.D. vinyl tube bonded into place to position the cables at the entry and exit points of the channel. These had to have a linear cut to allow the cables to be inserted as the ends of the cables are too large to pull through the tubes. After final installation, the cables will be sealed into the tubes with silicone seal, preventing any water entry.

IMG_0039.JPG Starboard view of the channel with the cover lying top up alongside.

IMG_0043.JPG Port view with the cover bottom up, showing the gaskets glued along the sides.

IMG_0054.JPG Detail view of the forward cable entry showing the vinyl tube that is cut open on top to allow cable insertion. Carpeting will cover the entry area with only a slit in the carpeting for the cables to pass through.

IMG_0058.JPG The cables laid into the channel for a trial fit. The aft exit point will be behind the interior trim panel and will not be visible, so will not be covered or trimmed to look pretty.

IMG_0061.JPG The cover installed with a few screws for a trial fit. The aft end is slightly high and will need some detail work for a better fit.

The carpeting will be installed with a non-glued flap over the cable channel area. The edge of this flap will be held down with a series of small screws, which can be removed for any required service or replacement of the cables.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks good !
But why not run the cables under the gunnels ? Was there something preventing that ?

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think he has a center console between his seats and those are the shifter and throttle cables that will run to the console instead of mounting the controller on the gunnel.

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Pat,
You noted my layout precisely. The cables are the shifter, throttle, and electrical power to the motor control unit. It is mounted on the starboard side of the center console, next to the helm seat. The most direct route from the console to starboard stern corner was diagonally, previously across the floor, now under the floor.

It would have been quite circuitous to route the cables over to and along the gunnels. Most motor control units I have seen were mounted on the side panel next to the helm station. However, as stated in an earlier post, the helm station is relatiively small and mounting the control on the side panel would have crowded the seating position. For that reason, the control has always been mounted on the console.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well that explains it ... I guess I should have went back to see the layout ..:facepalm:
Nice work !!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just remembered your center console restore from earlier and put two and two together.

Kern Fischer

Seaman
Hello Fellow Boaters,

I have not posted any progress on the JetFlite for some time now. I have been occupied with several projects around the house that take some of my time.

The big project, however, has been getting a new garage built. When purchased, the house had a two car attached garage and an outbuilding that was about 1 ½ cars. I needed more capacity and the outbuilding was not well constructed so it was decided to remove it and replace it with a four bay building.

The covenants of our subdivision require that any outbuildings have a style similar to the house. I had an architect design a building with a roofline that mimicked the house and has similar siding and details. There are occasional tornadoes in this area so the decision was made to use concrete block construction with plenty of cavity fill and rebar for strength to protect the vehicles and boat inside the building. I also incorporated a personal storm shelter under the floor on the downhill side of the building.

The expected occupancy date is about May 2018. Then the JetFlite will be moved into its new home and work will continue. The plan is to have it ready to show at the Keels & Wheels show in Houston in May of 2019.

When work starts anew, I will continue posting the progress.

Attachments

• photo285221.jpg
    photo285221.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1