"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep the worst part is holding onto the drill for so long .. Kinda rough on my back .. Temps were right at 90 deg the whole day ...
The only problem I had was trying to slide in a strip of cloth along the top of the transom the way the instructions said . No matter how I tried it would keep wadding up and popping up higher than it should be . Got fed up and took it out re smoothed it out .. I was afraid I would have some bad voids if I had left it in ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I had the same issue sam, i left mine in and ground it down later, then just tabbed in the top. I'm not sure why they recommend that, its redundant if you tab in the top correctly.

Decker83

Commander
Just dropping in on my glasser friends.. Looks really good..
We just started hitting the 90's here.. Sure does slow me down..:D
Have a great week..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for dropping in Decker ! I haven't swung over and checked out your progress on the SC lately .. Hopefully it's coming along !
Yea it hovered just under 90 all day . They don't advise mixing the seacast above 90 .. It did seem to start kicking a little faster than I remember the last time I used it ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam it look good to me. It actually looks like you poured concrete in those areas. I don't know much about the seacast, I mean smurfcast stuff, but it looks like it has some fiber type stuff mixed in it... Too bad you ran out, but I'm sure you will fix that issue and it will look flawless as usual... As always, you make things look good and interesting write ups about how to do it as well. Can't think of a better thread to follow for such advice... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gm .. I kinda just muddle through though and what great knowledge from all the guys here on the forum don't sink into my brain . I can always go back to my "by guess and by golly" method of figuring stuff out ..
The mix comes with shredded up fiberglass and hardener .. The thing feel rock solid now .. It was just a little over an hours drive from my work so I picked up the rest of what I need to finish it up ..

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Looking real good your going to have another one under your belt in no time

zool

Captain
Good job Sam!..between yours and Arch's thread, theres no more mystery to me with the Seacast thing....;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yea with the offset handle the margin trowel makes a good scooper ....
Cleaned up all the edges and unwanted smurfberries that got everywhere .
Need to decide how much glass to cover the stringers with .. Maybe a layer of csm and 1708 ... Or just 2 layers of csm ..
Time to start thinking on decking soon ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
To my way of thinkin 1 layer of 1708 should be plenty on the stringers. You're only looking for a fairly strong attachment to the hull. Sure don't need any waterproofing qualities or capping the top. But as always, That's just an Old Dumb Okies opinion.;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep Mike I think your right . Probably 1 layer of 1708 would be plenty .. I guess I'll install a few bulkheads for the plywood edges also ..got an idea for the bilge pocket to ..

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great work Sam!! I might have to try this on the next boat....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Cor ! Pouring it is the easiest part . The prep work takes a bit of time ..
Fresh out of the oven got the first use out of the blue brownie's ..

I think for the bulkheads for the ply joints I think I'm gunna cut some 1.5" brownies and lay them on top of some 1.5" blue foam . Then multi layers of glass for strength glassed to the hull .. That way I can predrill and screw the edges of the ply down if I choose .. I will have 2 drain plugs . 1 for the deck and 1 for under the deck .. Not a lot of room so I'm gunna need to be a little creative ..I plan on using 1/2" marine grade ply for the deck ....
Gunna be a c/c so I'll have a bit head scratching coming up soon ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice use of brownies Sam! I'm king of thinking mine might make some nice cleats to attach things to the deck.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I know this is a little early in the project but what size/type of trolling motor would be best suited for this size boat ? 12V ? 24V? thrust?
I need to start keeping an eye out for one .... I'll need to know how much space and type of attachment ...
Any thoughts ?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess im being slow and blind...where did you use the brownies and what did you use them for???