"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I guess there isn't a specific formula .. I would think to much weight up front would be worse than to much toward the rear ..Plan on placing the battery's up front so maybe set the console a little further back from center ..
On new steering systems , are the cables already connected to the hub ? Or is that end flexible enough to get pushed through a pipe raceway like a conduit ...
i would really like to run it under the floor if I can ...
If I can push /pull it through say a 1" or 1-1/2" pipe up into the console that would be great .. I would like to run it straight down and straight back on the inside edge of the outside stringer . Then come up on the outer edge of the bilge pocket .. It will then have to loop around to line up with the front of the motor ..

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm just thinking out loud, but you might have to use bigger diameter pipe to make the corners...??? But I don't know nothing but steering systems.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam I will be doing some very similar with my stick steering setup on my boat project. But I was thinking a more gentler curve for the steering cable run. I am not sure what the minimum radius needs to be, but I don't think a 1 1/2" pipe is going to be okay for such a bend. But then I'm guessing having never work with the steering cables before myself... :noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone ! I am thinking something along the lines of this system .. http://www.iboats.com/SeaStar-Solut...52121100--session_id.207253577--view_id.20311
And gm I think your right ... No way am I going to be able to turn up above deck with a large pipe so I picked up a piece of 1" pvc elect conduit . I think I can let it just kind of angle up and out with just a small sweep ... I will just need to seal the the ends after cable installation ..

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
the ends have strait sections of shaft on them, which are hard to get around corners. If you have the $$ your might want to buy it and do a dry run first.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well if I have to feed the end with the nut that screws into the steering tube on the motor. It will not fit through a 1" pipe . But it will go through an 1-1/4"
If it's just a bar with no nut than 1' will work ..
My head is kinda spinning ! :dizzy: :twitch:

I do have an old steering cable I can run through it ...

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Why Not use a 2" pipe an Plan to run ALL the electrical and steering an anything else thru one central location? But maybe I'm just being DUMB again...:crazy::facepalm::noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody , Don't think 2" would even fit under the deck in the back where it needs to come out ..
Zool , :scared:

minch , Stopped by and looked at all there fittings yesterday .. I think I can make a straight pipe work with just a little heat gun work in a few places ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Woody , Don't think 2" would even fit under the deck in the back where it needs to come out ..
Zool , :scared:

minch , Stopped by and looked at all there fittings yesterday .. I think I can make a straight pipe work with just a little heat gun work in a few places ..

Sam if you have to bent PVC pipe, you can fill it with sand and then heat it and bend it however you want and it won't collapse. Then just empty the sand and there you go. :smile:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Get a tiller and your steering troubles are over,............................lol,........

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Tiller set up did cross my mind for a minute or two ... And then gm started talking about a stick steer set up on his boat ... That REALLY had me thinking about an air boat type cockpit set up . I even turned the console around and sat on top of it to simulate the set up .. I love the idea but with the steering and controls on the outside of me it would really cut down on the walk around room on the sides .. AND no way of putting any kind of windshield between me and the bugs .
If the hull was just a little wider I would really consider it ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got the raceways installed under the deck .. 2 - 1-1/4" running up to the front and 2- 1-1/4" going to the back .. I think that will do .. I hope ..
Did a test run with a steering cable I had ... A little snug coming out of the end but it did work .. . I also jacked the bow up high and rinsed it all out so I could see how the limber holes worked .. It seemed to drain ok except when the holes got clogged up with trash ..
It seems the blue ridged foam is winning the water saturation battle at the moment against the pool noodle ..
Hope everyone has a great fathers day tomorrow !!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Got the raceways installed under the deck .. 2 - 1-1/4" running up to the front and 2- 1-1/4" going to the back .. I think that will do .. I hope ..
Did a test run with a steering cable I had ... A little snug coming out of the end but it did work .. . I also jacked the bow up high and rinsed it all out so I could see how the limber holes worked .. It seemed to drain ok except when the holes got clogged up with trash ..
It seems the blue ridged foam is winning the water saturation battle at the moment against the pool noodle ..
Hope everyone has a great fathers day tomorrow !!

"The blue ridged foam is winning the water saturation battle", do you mean the blue foam isn't getting soaked or saturated, and therefore the winner? I know I'm a little dense...:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep I have had a piece of pool noodle and a piece of blue ridged foam under water now for 9 days .. The blue foam has zero sign's of water getting in .. The pool noodle is doing well but you can can squeeze just a bit of water out of the end .. Not really saturating into it but more like just filling the little holes right in the end of it . I have plenty of blue foam so thats what is going in under the deck ..
I may need to pm Pmc to get some tips on cutting it in cuzz you know he is the Mayor ! :rolleyes::)