*new title* hole repair and new floor and decking

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: *new title* hole repair and new floor and decking

worked on the boat some more today.... was able to get the transom finished and splashwell on along with the corner braces .

then cleaned off all the rivets a 3rd time so now I am ready to put the gluvit down tomorrow (temps near 78 here tomorrow)

been thinking about the casting deck layout for the front... think im going to keep it simple and just put hinges at the front of the deck so I can basically use it as a storage compartment underneath and lift it from the back for access ... I will have 2 factory aluminum cross braces for support like it was when new..

will add a little extra support where the seat base will be between the original supports...

bass

P.S. ignore the photo it wasn't supposed to be there ... not sure what happened LOL

Attachments

• 100_0550%20(1024x768).jpg
    100_0550%20(1024x768).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok here are a couple of pics of whats been done the last few couple days...

1st one is of the transom/splashwell done and back together with the little Johnson back on it... :)

2nd and 3rd are of the gluvit I just finished putting on the rivets and seams .... kind of hard to see but its there lol....

once the gluvit is dry/hardened I will put a couple quick coats of primer/paint on it to make sure it lasts as long as possible..

next comes putting in the bracing for the floor.

bass

Attachments

• 100_0570 (1024x768).jpg
    100_0570 (1024x768).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0571 (1024x768).jpg
    100_0571 (1024x768).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0572 (1024x768).jpg
    100_0572 (1024x768).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Everything is looking real good!

Marcaronio

Cadet

Is that patch going to prevent water from draining under that stringer?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wipe the Gluvit down with acetone prior to painting. Since it's epoyy based it needs this to ensure proper adhesion for the primer and paint.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

marcaronio,

it will slow it down quite a bit , but im not to worried about it the stringers are not very high and the boat will be in the garage when not in use and if I do need to keep it outside at all it will be tipped way up so water can drain over the stringers...

I really didn't have a choice for the patch because of where the hole was... had to patch from the inside since the keel blocked it from outside the hull...

WOG, thanks I did not know that will make sure I do it before painting...

bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey everyone,

color me a bit confused LOL... the boat I bought is .... well a mystery boat, there is nothing on the title that tells what the model is but I did find a model # F-3676 on the capacity placard.... so I start searching, cant find anything .. call mirrocraft/northport and ask if they have any brochure's or photos of the 1984 boat models... the nice lady jean puts me on hold for a minute and comes back and tells me yes they have one and will send it to me in a pdf.... great I think this will help a lot.. well I check my email and there it is...

start looking at all the models and find what is supposed to be my boat but the hp rating is different mine says rated for 55hp brochure says 45 pictures don't look the same either mine is a different color than the others and layout is like 2 of the boats combined .... the 16ft musky and the super fisherman.... my color is factory as is the side console...

the musky is exactly the same dimensions as mine but has a hp rating of 75hp with the same foam flotation .... now know where in the brochure do they have a 1984 model boat that's rated at 55 hp like my placard says..

lost and confused..... BTW if anyone wants the brochure from mirrocraft/northport for 1984 let me know and I will send the pdf to you.

bass

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just to eliminate confusion, Stringers would run fore & aft (bow to transom) on top of Ribs that run port to starboard the width of the boat.

Based on this pix:
attachment.php

Your boat doesn't have stringers...

Stored bow high, the water will drain OVER the rib if need be..............

The gap along the keel, below the ribs, where water is intended to drain back to the bilge, is called a Limber Hole....

Nice work on the gluvit

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I have another question for you guys....

would the floor be stronger if I used 1 full sheet and another 1/2 sheet of my plywood going with the length of the boat or with a few 48 wide cut sheets going across the hull then glass them together ?

thanks

bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey all,

not much done on the boat lately been way to busy here :( I did get the wood for the front floor cut and fit and am starting on the rear casting deck tomorrow will be riveting my aluminum angle/supports to the side of the boat....

I do have a question for anyone who knows how to fiberglass.... I want to make another livewell for the boat and decided to make them from fiberglass and just wanted to know if I can use the epoxy resin I have left over from sealing my floor and decks to make the livewell ?

will post more photos once I get going on the boat alittle more.... thanks in advance

bass

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, epoxy & epoxy compatible glass will work great

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Where's your center stringer support system BMB?

If you haven't already purchased the fiberglass cloth, you don't need it. Your center stringer system will support the decking, and epoxy resin is plenty strong enough to seal the wood without cloth.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jig,

I was asking about the resin and cloth for making a new livewell for the boat :) not for the casting deck or floor ... I have 1 live well and figured since I had the resin and only needed cloth I would just make one the size I wanted and also maybe make a dry storage compartment while I was at it...

bass

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was asking about the resin and cloth for making a new livewell for the boat :) not for the casting deck or floor ... I have 1 live well and figured since I had the resin and only needed cloth I would just make one the size I wanted and also maybe make a dry storage compartment while I was at it.
& is what I answered @epoxy & glass working :)

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol jb,

if you look at the name I was telling jig that as he posted as well and thought I was talking about glassing my floor/deck

bass

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you bought the glass cloth for the livewell yet?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just wanted to be clear which of your posts I was replying to, since I apparently missed the deck, deck seam, epoxy & glass post :rolleyes:

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi jig,

no I have not bought the cloth yet.... have a good idea for me to build/make a new livewell ? any easy/low cost ideas would be a welcome surprise for me :)

bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello everyone, been awhile

Well finally getting some... shall we say better weather here in northeast Wisconsin.... so the boat work will soon start again, tomorrow we will hit 57 they say (right now its 30 will see lol) so I will be out measuring and getting ready to cut my front and back decks then get them sealed and ready to install... heres hoping for some nice weather to get here and stay.....

On a side note we still have 30 inches of ice on the lake :( yuck

Bass

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone, well have gotten a lot more done..... the front deck is done and the live well is installed, now just need to set it into the boat and attach the live well hoses and screw it in place.... the back deck is all done.... also got the seats yesterday so now just need to kick it in the rear and get it all together so it will be ready for this coming weekend so I can actually go out and fish !! (although the weather has sucked here all spring ) will post some picks in the next couple of days once things start going together.....

bass