My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

y surley she should go faster than that sumn not running right ????nice boat good luck on ur build SUBSCRIBED !!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mud is the least of your concerns near TMI. I think that prop found the more troubling things underwater there :eek:.

DSCF2681.jpg

DSCF2685.jpg

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am just a little different as I got a 115 with power tilt and trim with mine. I figure she should push the boat to around 36-37 mph

I've had mine up to 45 with my 115 4 stroke. I predict you will be well pleased with that setup.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Did you get an 'til the end of the season exemption? Or at least until the full resto on the SS is underway........

Get Ez to draft a motion on your behalf......

The mob will start a letter writing campaign if it'd help.... Likely won't help but ya never know.......

Glad you made it back tires & hubs intact :D

OK guys, not sure if any of you are behind this but some late breaking developments with my MBS (multiple boat situation)!

I'm waiting for about 4 Benjamins worth of OB parts for the SS so I figured i'd jump back in to the BlueFin and getting her ready for spring (it's sad because she's completely oblivious of her potential fate!).

oh, in case you're wondering who this sexy mama is that I brought back from the dead, here's a shot at her console:

I'm making a few upgrades to accommodate some Faria gauges and when Mrs. Bluefin paid me a visit in my boat tent, I came right out and said, "I really love this little boat!! I'd really hate to get rid of it!"

She said, "Don't sell it then...but I just don't know why you need 2 boats!"

I said, "Neither do I!" :lol:

Anyways guys, I hope no threats were made (litigious and/or physical) but thanks!!! :D

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote "I really love this little boat!! I'd really hate to get rid of it!" Good job BlueFin, I can just see the tears rolling. But now ya gotta divide time between boat building, fishing, and the family. Could get interesting.http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/juggle.gif

jbcurt00

Staff member

No thanks necessary, but Guido
bat.gif
has been recalled :facepalm:

:becky:

Good news, didn't even have to break out the sad music
violin.gif

Or the just for the season until I can finish the new 1 routine/song....

Enjoy having 1 to use while you work on another......

classiccat

Quote "I really love this little boat!! I'd really hate to get rid of it!" Good job BlueFin, I can just see the tears rolling. But now ya gotta divide time between boat building, fishing, and the family. Could get interesting.http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/juggle.gif

haha! the tears were yesterday :thumb:

there's definitely a balancing act...fishing this year will be an enlistment tool for when I need move the OB to/from the transom, flip the boat, sanding, etc. :cool:

classiccat

No thanks necessary, but Guido
bat.gif
has been recalled :facepalm:
...and the timing couldn't be better! Tony probably charges triple on a Catholic Holy Day of Obligation!! :hat:

classiccat

I have a 2 questions...1 is Boat related...the other is outboard related.

1) Boat Question:
Does anyone have any extra center windshields laying around for an 18' SS? The opening measures ~ 19.5" x 19.5"? I'm trying to avoid the path of fabrication. I've had visions of an entire windshield fabricated out of mahogany & tempered glass...which would look cool on anything that doesn't have "Sport" in the model name. :lol:

2) Motor Question (this motor is delaying my resto...and no resto means no resto pics! :D)
Does anyone have experience sealing shift gaskets using Quicksilver Perfect Seal? If so, how long do you let it set-up before pressure testing? The 1st pass LU seal failed...at 17psi it appears to blow-out the QS. (I have a thread on the J/E forum however its not getting much attention).

Both sides of gasket coated with QS (maybe too much??)
70HpRudeLUReseal20130402_MG_0718_zpsbb624417.jpg

Torqued to spec (75 inch-lbs)
70HpRudeLUReseal20130402_MG_0719_zps1374602a.jpg

Pressure tested 24hrs after assembly... dropping ~1psi / min.
70HpRudeLUReseal20130402_MG_0734_zps6e240dd8.jpg

Bubbles coming out of the quick silver.
- bearing carrier, prop shaft and drive shaft are all holding their seal
70HpRudeLUReseal20130402_MG_0737_zps8de368f2.jpg

classiccat

Boat:
  • Finally got the boat registered; the title had an extra character so I needed to provide a photograph that proved that the "-F" at the end could be truncated from the Hull ID.
  • May have found a windshield on CL. I have to call the guy to see if he's willing to ship (I'm a little apprehensive as I don't like paying for CL items with paypal)

Trailer:
  • My suspension is a mess and a large trailer supplier in my area doesn't carry a suspension hanger (they'd have to fabricate). So I ordered 2 undercarriage hangers online and the local establishment will fit me with leaf springs. Spindle, Axle and hubs all appear to be fine.
  • I will need all new keel rollers. It appears as though the PO was grinding the keel on steel shafts for many years. About 6' of my keel will need welding work to replace years of ground-off aluminum.

Motor:
This is where the majority of my limited time has been going.
  • I found an additional slow leak through the new driveshaft bearing carrier o-ring. I've never seen an o-ring tear like this. Maybe I was twisting as I was installing it?
    70HpRudeNewCoils20130407_MG_0749_zpsc648a177.jpg

• I've concluded that 4 years of sealing bolt threads (probably often wet with solvent) has contaminated my QS gasket sealent; it never turns tacky. I scored some OMC gasket sealant at a local BRP dealer! Viscosity is definitely different between the two.
    70HpRudeNewCoils20130407_MG_0747_zps9d20a7eb.jpg

• New coils installed! The old coils not only looked bad, they were out of spec (secondary resistance). I'm hoping that the Mrs helps me with some ignition tests this afternoon!
    70HpRudeNewCoils20130407_MG_0744_zps3ff6bf07.jpg

• Last but not least, I/we dodged a bullet with this engine! After some recent comp tests on my trusty old 35hp 'Rude, I realized that my old comp gauge was shot (also reading 100 psi when it normally scores in the mid-130's). My new OTC tester came in and within 30min, I was bypassing the ignition and "firing" it up. The cold-engine comps are: 139, 132, 138. whew!!!
70HpRudeNewCoils20130407_MG_0746_zps1a1da597.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good compression #s, BF. Nice and even. Are you using lube on the O-ring during the carrier install? Maybe a burr in the housing? More questions than answers. :(

classiccat

Good compression #s, BF. Nice and even. Are you using lube on the O-ring during the carrier install? Maybe a burr in the housing? More questions than answers. :(

Indeed! I was really sweating this one; bad compression at the seller's residence would've likely sent me home empty handed.

I used gear lube on the o-rings and I can't feel any burrs (just ran down and checked). It's symmetrical so I'm wondering if the opposing sides were pinched from it becoming unseated (went against my better judgement and used oil-only:facepalm:). Using 3M-847 (replaces OMC Adhesive-M) to make sure it stays seated during the next install should do the trick!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Boat:

• May have found a windshield on CL. I have to call the guy to see if he's willing to ship (I'm a little apprehensive as I don't like paying for CL items with paypal)

Where is the windshield? Might ask if there's an iboater close & willing to inspect, pick-up & ship the windshield for you. At least a little less of an unknown.

classiccat

Where is the windshield? Might ask if there's an iboater close & willing to inspect, pick-up & ship the windshield for you. At least a little less of an unknown.

Good idea! I believe that it's in Bwana Don's neck of the woods. I spoke with the seller this afternoon and he is willing to ship; he's going to make some additional measurements and call me back. Same year as mine so I'm optimistic.

classiccat

My wife was willing to crank the 'Rude over a few times for me. Some good & bad news on my ignition.

The Bad:
  • The spark is weak (all 3 cyls only jump 1/4" gap) and probably explains some of the hard-start issues that the PO warned me about.
  • Rectifier is shot, 1 lead is open in both directions and the other lead is shorted

The Good:
  • Ignition coils are good :)
  • I'm getting spark on all-3
  • Sense coils, Charge coils and Stator all pass with flying colors.

The Unknown:
  • I'm not sure about the power pack...I need to build this neon test light that the FSM uses.
  • I need to go over all of my grounds (coils & ppk) although if all 3 cyls are the same, doubtful
  • I'm fairly certain that I'm turning enough RPMs (need 300) esp w/out the LU attached; I'll hook-up my portable inductive tach next time I'm testing.

On the brightside, This may be the final straw that starts the resto!! :whoo:

Last edited:

barato2

Commander

usually if the power pack on that vintage OMC goes out, you won't even have spark. it's sucha common failure item that both CDI and Sierra make replacements for the factory one.

great compressions #s; those would even be good for a warm motor, let alone one that ain't run in years.

classiccat

usually if the power pack on that vintage OMC goes out, you won't even have spark. it's sucha common failure item that both CDI and Sierra make replacements for the factory one.

great compressions #s; those would even be good for a warm motor, let alone one that ain't run in years.

Following the CDI troubleshooting sequence, I pulled the rectifier and she's now jumping a 1/2" gap with a blue spark! :victorious: It's not the strongest spark that I've ever seen but a substantial improvement. I did observe some funny powerpack behavior; a DVA should tell the whole story.

And in keeping with the "Sweet & Sour" theme, some bad news:
No luck on the windshield. The seller made some measurements and said that they didn't agree with mine but has my number if he finds something; he seems to be involved in salvage to some degree. :cell:

jbcurt00

Staff member

PM me your windshield dimensions & in the next couple days I'll check & see what I've got. I have 2, but I don't remember the dimensions, neither fit any of mine that need them.

5pc walk thru? I may have 1 (but I think it might be missing the operable middle :facepalm:

classiccat

Weekly SC Update: 4/13/2013

Trailer:
  • Ordered the hanger assemblies online...and 2 days later they decide to inform me that they're back-ordered. I asked them to "butter-the-pot" and give me a break on shipping since they're now impacting my schedule...no reply :)

Hull:
  • Score! A full windshield is being shipped from a gentleman from SE Michigan for $95 (with shipping!) I checked his address in Bing-maps and he has some land and what appears to be a huge garage/shop to conduct salvage. I'll be honest, its a shady deal all-around. No pictures (claiming both broadband & technical incompetency), wants the money to arrive before shipping, etc. I'm setup to be the easiest con-victim this guy has every come-across. I'm going to have faith in humanity and go with my gut after speaking to him a few times on the phone. Worst case, I'm out $95 and huge dose of pride (esp after broadcasting my naivety on a public forum!)! If it turns out that the 65yo-he is a 30yo-she from detroit, well at least you guys can get a good chuckle at my expense and you can't put a price-tag on that!!
  • Want-to-buy: I'm on the lookout for a vintage steering wheel. ...Preferably something that wouldn't look out-of-place in a 67' Camaro! This austin-powers-lookin', generic teleflex garbage that came with the boat has-gots-to-go! It's a Super-Sport, not a Super-Dork!
If this was $250-less cabbage, I'd jump on this deal.

Motor:
  • Score! A few deals were made on ebay & CraigList: 13-spline Test Prop ($50+shipping) for the 70Hp and a big cherry picker ($100). Almost scored a mid-90's 115Hp 'Rude ($850 possibly w/ TnT) that was likely misdiagnosed by the seller; no returned call so either he ordered a new fuel pump or someone beat me to the punch.
    • Oddly enough, a test wheel arrived this afternoon but not the one I purchased...this one is for a 115Hp...thankfully it's an ebay transaction so it should get resolved 1-way or the other...
  • LU: A bolt sheared-off in the LU (with < 5ft-lbs of torque!). The fix was creating a dimple in the center of the bolt with a dremel, drilling (very slow) a small clearance hole through the bolt using a RH bit (my left-hand bits are too dull to be effective here), then using one of my next-to-useless LH bits...it bit and turned the bolt back out. I recall a bolt "giving" when i was torquing on the shift-housing so I bit the bullet & ordered all new bolts. Perhaps the radioactive elements blanketing these bolts for decades weakened the metal's grain structure? :lol:

• Ignition: I was able to get a weak spark across a full 1/2" gap by removing the bad rectifier. This still puzzles me as they're fairly independent circuits; the powerpack uses separate charge/trigger coils & has its own internal rectifier; maybe ground currents?
  • I now have the components to make a simple DVA.
  • Once i'm done putzing around playing scientist/Columbo, I'll install the new powerpack & hopefully kick this problem in the pants for good.

Late breaking-News! The Outboard is off of the Transom! ...and we all know where this goes from here!
...courtesy of the new addition to my family who I've named, Popeye!

Last edited:

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice find on the cherry picker. looks like your having fun with the outboards. Its all progress though.