lower unit removal 61 johnson 75 hp

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to disassemble my lower unit to get to the clutch dog and the gears. I read over the manual and then tried to do it it. Reading that manual is reading a language that I don't speak. I swear they are giving instruction for a different lower unit so I thought I would ask you guys for some help.

Here are some pics to where I got.
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I started by draining the oil, and loosing screw to the shift rod connector behind triangular plate half way up the shaft. Then I removed the 8 bolts that connect the lower unit. Lower unit slip down about an inch and a half to expose the drive shaft and the shifter rod. I also tried to remove the 8 bolts the connect the middle section of the shaft but 4 of the bolts broke off at the head.
What do I do next to completely disconnect lower unit from motor.
I also tried to get to them from the propeller with no success. There appears to be a clamp of some sort.
Which way should I be going to examine the clutch dog and the forward gear.

Thanks for your help

Derek.

More pics on the way

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: lower unit removal 61 johnson 75 hp

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

More pics. Apologies for being so small. hope you can see what going on

Derek

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"Loosening" the screw in the shift rod connector doesn't get it. You need to completely remove that screw. Then the lower unit will come down and away. Remove the water pump. Then you will find two locknuts, fore and aft of where the water pump was. Remove them and you can separate the upper part of the gearcase from the lower part. The clamp you referred to holds the shift rod to the fork in the bottom of the case. You will be able to remove the bolt and nut from that clamp, then get all that stuff out of the way. The phillips screw down near the skeg holds the shifter fork. Then it is just a matter of shucking all the parts out.

Good luck, it sounds like you are going to need it. Study that manual.

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice

I got the bottom end to come off. I undid the bolts like you said that were behind the water pump. I cannot get the bottom and the middle portions of the shaft seperated. I believe I have everything undone, but before I apply more pressure I just wanted to make sure I was going to break something. is there a proper tool or process to pry these apart.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

thanks

Derek

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pictures are so small I can't tell, has it separated any at all? If it has, it should continue to come down. But if it won't budge even a little bit, congratulations you have just discovered a major PITA concerning those gearcases. The two long studs get corroded in there so badly that sometimes they may even have to be disassembled with a hacksaw. I hate it when that happens.

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice

I finally got it all disassembled. I am so relieved. I didn't even break anything...to my knowledge. After reading the manual about the gears and clutch dog I examined them. There is definately some wear on the forward side of the clutch dog. I am not sure if its bad though. here are some close ups. The bottom and the top picture are the forward side, and the middle one is the reverse side.
lower unit gears pic close up 016.jpg

lower unit gears pic close up 015.jpg

lower unit gears pic close up 014.jpg

Is this bad? Can I turn it around so that the reverse side of the clutch dog meets the forward gear.

Pics of forward and reverse coming up.

Derek

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some close up of the gears. These seems to be in good condition, but if I was sure, I wouldn't be posting pics for a second opinion. I can't believe how much parts cost.
I also notice that the shift rod was bent. would this need to be replaced is is a slightly bent shift rod work.

Attachments

• lower unit gears pic close up 021.jpg
    lower unit gears pic close up 021.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • lower unit gears pic close up 019.jpg
    lower unit gears pic close up 019.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • lower unit gears pic close up 018.jpg
    lower unit gears pic close up 018.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • lower unit gears pic close up 017.jpg
    lower unit gears pic close up 017.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Somebody has already replaced the clutch dog at least once. That shows the futility of replacing the dog and not the gear. Turn the dog to the best side against the forward gear. It takes surprisingly little wear to make it jump out of gear. You can also swap the forward and reverse gears by swapping the bushings inside them. I don't see any hole/spring/balls in the prop shaft--were there any? If it were mine, I'd drill the shaft and install the detent balls. You will have to get somebody that is properly equipped to drill the shaft, don't try it at home. If it still jumps, well you know the story.

EDIT: The shift rod is supposed to be bent. It bends away from the water pump, then back again. For clearance.

steamking123

Seaman Apprentice
1961 johnson super sea horse 75

1961 johnson super sea horse 75

I don't have the parts catalog for this motor.
Johnson 61, super sea horse 75 horsepower

Does anyone know that part numbers All seals in the lower unit. (do they come as a kit or individual?)

Thanks

Derek