My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Man, you do the greatest work!

Questions if I may;
1) do you wait until the epoxy plugs set and install screws, or are you casting in threaded studs while wet? I can’t tell by the photo.
2) where did you get the hold down from, I don’t want to use a battery box either

Thanks
Appreciate the compliment SsM!

Regarding the epoxy plugs, I let them cure up and then transfer holes. So a good strategy is go build a template...use the template (parchment paper is great for this; you can see the sharpie marks) for both making the oversized plug holes as well as coming back and drilling the pilot holes for the fasteners. I've used machine threads in plugs however they're not the greatest...stick with a coarse thread like something intended for wood or even MDF/OSB.

In regards to the battery tray / hold-down, iBoats has the Moeller version however I ordered off of the jungle website. Search for:
  • Attwood 9094-5 Heavy-Duty Battery Tray, For 29/31.
  • Attwood 9095-5 USCG-Approved 27 Series Heavy Duty Adjustable Hold-Down
  • Attwood 9096-5 USCG-Approved 24 Series Heavy Duty Adjustable Hold-Down Marine Boat Battery Tray,

Gearhear143

Cadet
Thank you for the kind words @Gearhear143 ! I had to do some hunting since my pics were kidnapped by photobucket.

I needed a design that worked for both turtle & normal positions.

I basically created double 2x4 beams that span port to starboard with larger casters from TSC. The gap in between accommodates vertical risers for my "bunks". 8' 2x4s bridge the 2 beams.
View attachment 353475

I setup my bunk similar to a trailer where I formed the main structural beams 1st with temp supports...i probably used old tractor and snowblower tires...then figure out where to put the inner/outer bunks with the boat in position. If your bottom is finished, add some carpet to those wooden bunks.

View attachment 353476

normal position:
View attachment 353477
Thank you CC for finding those pictures, and info. I have everything I need to get started except the casters which I can pick up at HF. Wish I had a SS, so much easier to work on and I like the open bow.

87Starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey classic. Did you paint your transom after doing all the epoxy and fiberglass cloth? I am also wondering if your transom is sandwiched by the transom skin and a piece of aluminum on the inside?

classiccat

Hey classic. Did you paint your transom after doing all the epoxy and fiberglass cloth? I am also wondering if your transom is sandwiched by the transom skin and a piece of aluminum on the inside?
hey 87...the side that goes against the aluminum transom skin is unpainted. No need since it's never going to be exposed to UV. The side facing the hull is painted with Interlux Primekote followed by 2-part Perfection. I didn't bother cladding the exposed side with more aluminum. hope that helps!

87Starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey 87...the side that goes against the aluminum transom skin is unpainted. No need since it's never going to be exposed to UV. The side facing the hull is painted with Interlux Primekote followed by 2-part Perfection. I didn't bother cladding the exposed side with more aluminum. hope that helps!
👍 sure does thank you. Wish there was a way to repay everyone for their knowledge

classiccat

Just watched your build video again. Great work and documentation! 👍🏻
Thanks MN! I'm really glad that I pulled that together even for myself; it's easy to forget how much blood, sweat and tears (not to mention $$) go into these builds!

83 page read, being a single dad with an 18 month old daughter it took me about 4 days to accomplish lol. But that said thanks for all the documentation and details. Your thread definitely helps reinforce my ideas about bracing the haul on this old thin walled tub I’m starting on. As well as adding far to many ideas to ponder on top of my own. life got in the way and put her to the side a year ago. Will be resuming in a couple weeks. Can’t express enough how much I appreciate you and the others bringing us along for the ride on the restorations. Iboats and it’s members are a truly invaluable tool. If I find the magnitude of problems you did I surely hope I can persevere. I do love old things and solving problems that seem insurmountable but heres to hoping it’s a smoothish ride 🤷‍♂️😂🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

classiccat

83 page read, being a single dad with an 18 month old daughter it took me about 4 days to accomplish lol. But that said thanks for all the documentation and details. Your thread definitely helps reinforce my ideas about bracing the haul on this old thin walled tub I’m starting on. As well as adding far to many ideas to ponder on top of my own. life got in the way and put her to the side a year ago. Will be resuming in a couple weeks. Can’t express enough how much I appreciate you and the others bringing us along for the ride on the restorations. Iboats and it’s members are a truly invaluable tool. If I find the magnitude of problems you did I surely hope I can persevere. I do love old things and solving problems that seem insurmountable but heres to hoping it’s a smoothish ride 🤷‍♂️😂🤦‍♂️
Welcome and congrats on the new addition to the family!

unless the hull skin is swiss cheese, most of these hulls can be turned around to be as good (if not better) than factory!