"It Happened!" Transom has to be replaced! (NOW W/PICS)

LX Kid

Ensign
Any suggestions on what to use for sealing holes, that were drilled thru transom, for scuppers and gimbal mount holes? I would guess resin.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Resin/Peanut Butter is good. Some guys over drill, fill w/PB then drill out the actual smaller size they need. Always resin raw wood to be on the dry side.

LX Kid

Ensign
The gimbal bolts are 7/16" diameter and I plan on 1/2" hole. Should I maybe go to a 5/8" hole and then run my 1/2" bit thru it?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yes you can. But your drillings are real close, potentially angled. So take that into consideration. I think for comfort I'd do 1", fill w/PB then do my drillings. Also probably use a hole saw. If you feel you can be that on tolerance go for it! Me I'm a rotten carpenter so I make everyhting bigger so I can fix it later.
So now if water does get in there is no wood contact.

Check out these links:
1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Last edited:

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Why would you have to drill such a large hole for a 7/16" bolt? I'd use the 1/2" first and MAYBE get only bigger as you absolutely need to. Just my 02
Jcris

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So with me and a transom I don't want any wood contact. By over drilling and filling completely w/pb then drilling out where anything actually lands I have room for adjustments. Transoms are angled not a straight drill out.
So this give you 1/2" leeway when things just need to line up.
Of course you can go down but like I said I'm horrible at carpentry and like the forgiveness.
Just my .10 opinion. :joyous:

LX Kid

Ensign
I was thinking of 1/2" and using a 1" bottle brush, saturated with resin, to coat the holes. I made a drilling jig for drilling the transom 90 degree. The transom has a slant of approximately 12 degrees.

Brush.jpg

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was thinking of 1/2" and using a 1" bottle brush, saturated with resin, to coat the holes. I made a drilling jig for drilling the transom 90 degree. The transom has a slant of approximately 12 degrees.

Qtips will work, too.

LX Kid

Ensign
Qtips will work, too.

Yes but I want to flood it! For the larger scupper drain holes I'll probably use a split stick with rag strips to "slop" the holes. I also need to do this before I do the painting.

Last edited:

LX Kid

Ensign
I just bought my two partners out. Now the boat is once again totally mine. I had explained, previously, that I sold the boat in January and then bought back in as a partner in August. Seems they were burned out couldn't give anymore time and money. The project is so close to completion that I can pretty much finish everything off in a couple weeks. (Seem like I said that a couple months ago!) Oh well it's going to be a great boat when finished. They are still my friends and we'll be fishing together soon. (Partnerships are hard and it's better this way.)

boatman37

Lieutenant
i installed a bow roller for my anchor this spring and drilled the holes out to the same size as the bolts (i think 7/16) then used a tiny paint brush to slop epoxy in the hole. then i threaded the bolt into the resin lined hole. i was going to overdrill but somebody on here said to just drill the same size and slop the heck out of it. i still 'think' overdrilling would be better but whoever on here that told me was one of the resident experts

LX Kid

Ensign
I would think that any effort made on sealing the drilled out holes will last longer than the serviceability of the whole boat. This 35 year old boat is probably on her last "fix me up" and take me fishing.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I would think that any effort made on sealing the drilled out holes will last longer than the serviceability of the whole boat. This 35 year old boat is probably on her last "fix me up" and take me fishing.
Sealing the holes is wishful thinking in that you only wish the manufacture did it in the first place.

LX Kid

Ensign
Now that the boat is totally mine here is a short list of the major things what's left to do.
1. Surface prep transom for painting
2. Drill holes for gimbal assembly
3. Put engine back in (big problem due to height of gunnel)
4. Hook up power steering assembly
5. Reattach all wiring
6. Put new seal in upper of outdrive

LX Kid

Ensign
Here's an interesting fact about my buying the boat back. "The wifey doesn't know yet!" She was so happy to see my yard ornament gone when I sold it back in January. She's leaving tonight for Vegas and so I'll bring it back home tomorrow morning. When she get's back, next week, I just know that she will be very happy for me! "I'M THE MAN!" Listen to this link below about being a "Married Man."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Y0I91rubg

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Get quotes from the high end marinas in your area to dry store and launch it for you. Tell her you are trying to decide which one and ask her what she thinks is best. She will still wear the pants and you will get the blessing to have your boat right in your yard. Women can be beat once in a blue moon. We are headed to Florida in the morning and she asked what I wanted to do. I sugested a ton of crap and settled on exactly what I really wanted. I want to see a C-dory 25' that's for sale and want to ride the glass bottom boat at Crystal Springs state park. The rest of the stuff I suggested I could care less about so I let her pick all the other crap like in Orlando. I did sneak in a hotel stay in Ocala near Big Daddy Don Garlits museum. I can hear myself now. "Come on honey I love drag racing and we can see it in 20 minutes. We may never be so close again. Please O please, it's my favorite, come on honey, I wuv you...." Wish me luck with that.

LX Kid

Ensign
After 45 years of marriage I just tell her "get mad, get over it!" She already knows I'll do as I please.

LX Kid

Ensign
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission ;)

Yes your right! She should ask for my forgiveness! How dare her question my authority. LoL (I can "safely" say that cause she just landed in Las Vegas.) I'll go get the boat this morning and bring it home.

Last edited: